PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Cleanup Runs- Barbour Forks/ Devils Canyon

Aaron
April 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hey all,

As most of you know, Front Range 4x4 is the proud sponsor of the Barbour Forks and Devils Canyon trails. Twice a year we head up to Idaho Springs (where both trails are) and clean up the trails of any garbage, shell casings fire pit remains, etc so that the trail remains beautiful. In addition, we get to portray FR4x4 and the 4x4 community in general as good patrons of the national forest. In fact, despite being a small organization, last year we were the group that donated the most time in the district where our trails reside.

So, now for the ask. There are two trails which get cleaned up twice a year so I need 4 volunteers to organize and lead these runs. The Spring and Late Summer runs are always on the same day so it will be up to the leaders to pair up and come up with a day which will work for both of you. It works best for the forest service on Saturdays and the trails open on June 16th so those are the parameters. The trails are easy but have some fun spots.

In addition to the thanks you will get from the group and the good feelings, you'll get this nifty little banner next to your profile.... http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/images/ranks/Organizer.gif

Spring - Barbour Forks - Robert B
Spring - Devils Canyon - ColoDisco
Late Summer - Barbour Forks - sunk
Late Summer - Devils Canyon - Speedwagon

Let's prove that this is the best group ever and get these names filled in very fast. Who is in?:thunb:

Brad
April 13th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I helped with Devil's canyon last year and ran the trail twice within a week cleaning both times. Happy to help with that trail. :thumb:

Mporter
April 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm not super comfortable organizing a run, but hopefully i'll be able to make one of them this year.

Aaron
April 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I helped with Devil's canyon last year and ran the trail twice within a week cleaning both times. Happy to help with that trail. :thumb:

Spring Devils Canyon Brad?

Aaron
April 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'm not super comfortable organizing a run, but hopefully i'll be able to make one of them this year.

It's not hard MAtt... And you'll be paired up with someone so that makes it even easier. What do ya say Matt?

Brad
April 13th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Spring Devils Canyon Brad?

Spring sounds good! :thumb:

Robert B
April 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
i was on the barbour forks one last year so maybe i could team up with brad and ill do the spring one there ???

Patrolman
April 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
If memory serves me right, Barbour Forks opens late in the season due to elk breeding and birthing area. I am not sure we can do that run any earlier than mid-May. It is a great trail to clean and I would hope to attend again!

Aaron
April 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM
i was on the barbour forks one last year so maybe i could team up with brad and ill do the spring one there ???

Sold!

Aaron
April 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
If memory serves me right, Barbour Forks opens late in the season due to elk breeding and birthing area. I am not sure we can do that run any earlier than mid-May. It is a great trail to clean and I would hope to attend again!

It opens on June 16.

Aaron
April 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Who's up for doing the late summer organization?

Patrolman
April 13th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I think that Barbour stays open later for those interested. Mid-November maybe?

Rob
April 13th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I think that Barbour stays open later for those interested. Mid-November maybe?

Both trails close in mid-December.

Gate Monkey
April 13th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I am... I have done the clean up a number of times and I lead one last year... I just started a new job so possibly organizing the late summer run would work for well for me..

Gate Monkey
April 13th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I had some informal e-mail contact with Grant Wobig at USFS station in Idaho Springs a month or two ago. He told me that it would be nice if we could do something in late June to help him more with putting up signs and markers.. Probably won't be that much to clean up that early..., but there are signs and markers that need to go up.

Mporter
April 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I'll team up with someone Aaron, preferably spring since summer I'll probably be in school

Brody
April 14th, 2011, 07:07 AM
He told me that it would be nice if we could do something in late June to help him more with putting up signs and markers.. Probably won't be that much to clean up that early..., but there are signs and markers that need to go up.

As long as these aren't going to be more "Road/Trail Closed" signs, I don't see why not. Myself, I will not participate in putting up any of these "Road Closed" signs. If the FS wants to put up signs that close more trails or side roads/spurs, they can simply do that themselves without volunteer help from a 4x4 group that actually want to use these trails....and pays for the use of them with tax money. Might be a good idea if you were to find out exactly what kind of signage that they want help with so people can make their own decisions based on that.

Aaron
April 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I'll team up with someone Aaron, preferably spring since summer I'll probably be in school

Hey Matt,

Spring is now full but Late summer is wide open. Since you'll be planning this, you could schedule it for any time that works with school.

Speedwagon
April 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
If Matt doesn't want to, I can do late summer.

Aaron
April 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Which trail Mitch?

GaryG
April 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Since I'm fairly new to this I'll have to pass on planning/leading for now, but I will definitely help out on all of them.

Speedwagon
April 14th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Which trail Mitch?

Devil's Canyon.

Aaron
April 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Devil's Canyon.

Done. Thanks!

sunk
April 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I could lead the barbor fork trail clean up late summer, if nobody has it yet. I havent led a run yet, and I was there for this last year. I think there are lots of things that we could have done last year to make these a little more fun for everyone invloved.

Aaron
April 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I could lead the barbor fork trail clean up late summer, if nobody has it yet. I havent led a run yet, and I was there for this last year. I think there are lots of things that we could have done last year to make these a little more fun for everyone invloved.

Thanks Adam!

Aaron
April 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
In 24 hours, we got organizers for all four of the cleanup runs!
:frontrange4x4:

Aaron
April 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
So, Robert, Brad, Mitch and Adam,

I am waiting for the paperwork from the forest service to come to my house so I can sign it and get it back to him. However, that doesn't stop us from getting the planning started. As stated earlier, the trails open on June 16th. Brant (from the FS) likes us to do these on Saturdays. We typically do both trails on the same day so work together with your partner and try to come up with a Saturday which works for both of you. Once a date is selected and are run by Brant, create one trail run in Planned Trail Runs for both trails (e.g. titled "Barbour Forks and Devils Canyon Cleanup - Spring" and a similar one for late summer.)

We should get dates selected soon so we can get them verified by Brant.

Thanks again.

Robert B
April 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
well since it opens in 2 months i think we have enough time to set up a date :) .....but then again may need more time :erm:

Gossamer
April 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Count me in for late summer of either trail! Knowing the dates a few weeks ahead of time would be best!

Brody
April 27th, 2011, 06:13 AM
What happens is that the dates will get posted well before the clean up runs. The people who volunteered to lead the runs will post it as a trail run with dates and meeting times. You will have plenty of time to plan.

Gossamer
April 27th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Sweet !