PDA

View Full Version : bulletproof?

scout man
April 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Well, actually, yea. I tore into my "busted up" tcase today because I was curious as to the destruction inside. Turns out, there isnt any! Blew apart from the tcase while on the highway, drove DRY for 40 miles to GJ, and not even so much as a metal shaving was loose inside the case. The flanges on both the tranny and tcase are busted, but not even so much as a chipped tooth on any of the gears. There is no longer a way to bolt the 2 together, as all the flanges and bolt holes are busted up, but a new tail housing and tcase (both in the garage) and I am good to go! Unfortunately it is still a large project to accomplish, so it might have to wait till winter when work slows down for me. Here are some pics! I was hoping for "carnage of the month", but it turns out its not really that impressive.

MelloYello
April 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Good to hear about the lack of damage. Bad to hear "winter" repair.

scout man
April 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM
yea, it might happen sooner, but I am not going to promise it to myself. I have a ton of work scheduled for this summer (which is good), and we are also moving to a new house and stuff. Unfortunately this isnt at the top of my priority list. We will see though, I might get motivated. Also still thinking about doing a pretty major overhaul whille I do this work. I already have to remove/fix 3/4 of the drive train... thinking about going all out and just doing everything. Engine included. We will see how money sits this witner.

Brad
April 27th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Great to hear the internals are good to go. I too am sorry to hear you are thinking of next winter. Hope you find some time sooner. If you need a work party let me know. I am happy to come over and provide whatever help I can. :thumb:

Rob
April 27th, 2011, 08:06 PM
... The flanges on both the tranny and tcase are busted ... There is no longer a way to bolt the 2 together, as all the flanges and bolt holes are busted up. ... I was hoping for "carnage of the month", but it turns out its not really that impressive.

You don't call that impressive? :) I would.

scout man
April 27th, 2011, 09:05 PM
alright, well not really photogenically impressive. A big mushy pile of gear pieces would have been impressive!

Chris
April 27th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Get out the sledge Steve! :lmao:

scout man
April 27th, 2011, 09:33 PM
:whatAreYouThinking:

4finger
April 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
i dont know about carnage of the month but that would definately win the "takes a whoopin and keeps on tickin" award. or maybe the "cant keep me down" award.

:thumb:

transplant87
April 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hey Steve i found a good swap to put in your rig instead of burning through trans and t-cases. i think it cost around 300 bucks, it allows you to use a 700r4 and an np241 t case and they also sale the cross member relocation kit, not sure on price.

Aaron
April 28th, 2011, 02:54 PM
You've got Latest Greatest Carnage Steve... Congrats (although this is one honor I could deal without getting).

scout man
April 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM
You've got Latest Greatest Carnage Steve... Congrats (although this is one honor I could deal without getting).

But this is something I have a chance of being good at Aaron!! I bet I can get my name on this list more than anyone else in the next 12 months!!

Brody
April 30th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Let's hope not!

scout man
May 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Yea, I would love to fix the scout. unfortunately between buying a house and working like a madman, I just havnt had the time. Usually working like this would mean I would have the money to do it, but the house has solved that problem for me.

Thanks for the offer! I will let you know if I need your help or not. Need to find a trailer. One of these days I will buy a trailer for it, and a truck to pull it with... but that goes back to the money problem

glacierpaul
June 13th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Cool on you guy's offering help, what a great group of people!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait to meet you all!

scout man
July 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
so i finally got around to pulling the old tcase off today. Here are some pics of the damage.

Notice in pic one:
There is a bolt in it, still through the transmission flange, which is now attached only to the tcase
The tcase is supposed to have a "Texas" shaped bolt pattern. There is a rather large chunk missing.

Second pic:
2 pieces missing from the tranny housing too

Brody
July 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I gotta say this, Steve: when you decide that something is going to break, you really do not **** about!

Ouch...

scout man
July 20th, 2011, 09:45 PM
haha, thanks Pete. Everyone has to be good at something! Now if only I could figure out how to make this talent make money for me instead of losing money for me!

Brody
July 21st, 2011, 06:17 AM
Now if only I could figure out how to make this talent make money for me instead of losing money for me!

You figure that one out, you can retire very early....Write books like "How to break things and profit from it", and make even more. Hell, I would buy a book like that. I break a lot of junk....

Brad
July 21st, 2011, 11:49 AM
DAMN STEVE!! :what: That is just scary!

Haku
July 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
DAMN STEVE!! :what: That is just scary!

Especially scary considering its final death happen at 75mph in the middle of nowhere.

I'll be interested to see if there is any internal damage that's hiding out of sight in that t-case.

scout man
July 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM
Especially scary considering its final death happen at 75mph in the middle of nowhere.

I'll be interested to see if there is any internal damage that's hiding out of sight in that t-case.

:erm: not sure I plan to investigate this... but its sitting in the garage if you care to come tear it apart! :D case is toast, i should probably pull the gears and shafts as spares, I am sure the bearings arent happy due to being run dry for 40 miles, but the gears look good! In fact, the ones I expected to be destroyed (main tranny ouput gear - tcase input gear) looked just fine, and I know those we rubbing hard while I broought it to the new house. getting it on the trailer I had to start the engine, and those gears werent quite mated, and made a hell of a noise... but appear to be just fine.

In other news... I jsut drove it around the block! I got about 30ft down the road and was reminded how much I love this rig, and why I keep fixing it. Not sure I will take it more than 20 miles or so from home for now, and no offroad, but it will be nice to be able to cruise around with it for the remainder of summer, while I collect parts for a big overhaul this winter. It definitely needs either new leaf springs, of a change to coils before being trail ready, and definitely needs a new tailshaft on the tranny so I can use all the tcase bolts, and I need to swap in my other new torque convertor. Thats the plans for this winter hopefully!

Haku
July 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Almost sounds like you need your Daily Driver Scout. Find another $800 stock one and just drive it as a utility vehicle and for fun. Most of the character without the stuff to put stress on stuff.

Glad its driveable though, even if its only only 75% of the way towards completion.

scout man
July 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Almost sounds like you need your Daily Driver Scout. Find another $800 stock one and just drive it as a utility vehicle and for fun. Most of the character without the stuff to put stress on stuff.

Glad its driveable though, even if its only only 75% of the way towards completion.

Ive thought pretty hard about it. I have the room now, but dont really need another rig to work on. Also I think paying insurance on 5 vehicles is enough for right now...