PDA

View Full Version : Odd noise

BlackRubi
April 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
So, I've recently been noticing a click when I turn right from a stop or hit a bump while turning right. Took a quick look. Axle shaft U-joints look good, sway bar seems ok (did notice some grease on the axle end, which is odd). All of the ends on my tie rod and drag link seem to be seeping grease. How much is normal for this? I'm not sure if this is where the click is coming from, but it bothered me a bit. Where else should I be looking?

Chris
April 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Look at thst damned stripped bolt for the skid!

BlackRubi
April 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM
It's not that. I'm used to that sound now. Evidently, no one wants to fix the skidplate nutsert for me and keep referring me to the stealership.

Brody
April 28th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I don't have Jeep with stock axles to refer to, but if you have metal bump stops with an adjustment bolt that is also metal, like Yotas do, then simply some grease on the bump stops will do the deed. You may also have had one of the bump stops work it's way farther out than the other one, hence the clicking on only one turn.

You might also try getting the front up in the air and turning the wheels lock to lock to see if the noise is there with no weight on the wheels. While the wheels are up in the air, have someone turn the wheels lock to lock a few times while you watch all the goodies underneath. See if something is obviously binding and see if you can hear the click. Watch the drag link and pay close attention to the tie rod ends. If they rotate smoothly, then they are probably OK, but grab them with the weight off and see if you get some play. If you can move them easily, then the ends are probably on the way out. If you do, take some penetrating something or other, PB, WD 40, garage door lube, and spray each fitting, one at a time. If the click goes away, you have at least found what is causing it. Also the sway bar bushings sometimes cause weird noises. Save these for last as they are the least important. Hit them with some lube, too, white lithium grease or garage door lube being the better choice.

Grease on the tie rod ends and drag link is usually OK and not a cause for concern. Chance are that the rubber around the ends is just showing some wear.

Just how I would go about it...

Hypoid
April 28th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Whatever it is, it's likely in your left front. Whenever you make a turn, the weight transfers to the outside tires.

Whinobutts
April 28th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Well Little Buddy, what ever it is i can help you take a look for it this weekend or after work sometime. Just shoot me a text and let me know what works for you.

BlackRubi
April 29th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I hear it coming from the right side, or at least I think I do.

Speedwagon
April 29th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Disconnect the sway bar, and drive around. That will confirm if it is/isn't the sway bar.

BlackRubi
April 29th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Good point.

Brody
April 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Shoot some white lithium or garage door lube on it like I suggested...Noise may simply stop with a touch of your finger...You won't have to **** around with disconnecting it..

Robert B
April 29th, 2011, 08:19 PM
oh hey does it click a few times until the weight of the truck evens back out ??? mine did that and since i actually rotated my tires i found out the wheel weights were put on the inside of the rim and were hitting the dust guard when turning just like yours does (at least until the weights got shaved enough to stop hitting) just a thought if you have had new tires or gotten them rebalanced somewhat recently :)

BlackRubi
April 29th, 2011, 09:39 PM
No, it's not a repeating kind of sound. Just kind of a "thud" or "thump". A deep click is the best way I can describe it. It's only a single sound.