PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Stuck In Wheatland, Wyoming

Fordguy77
April 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM
As some of you may have read, i recently blew the head gasket in the FJ60. The good news is that situation should be remedied by tomorrow with any luck. So now onto the bad news. I came home last weekend and picked up Katey's Exploder. As of Wednesday night, the Explorer suffered from a blown head gasket as well. Its really upsetting to be honest, because both Katey and I are religious about checking all fluids at every gas fill up, and yet somehow i still managed to blow 2 different head gaskets within a week of each other. :bang: Granted the LC has 192k on it, and the Explorer has 158k With the 4.0L OHV(Known for head gaskets/cracked/warped heads) I thought about taking the exploder to a repair shop, and the cheapest quote i can come up with up here is around $1800, plus any additions things needed. Well i can buy a long block for that price, so i can not justify spending that much for a repair, and would much rather purchase a long block and do a swap at home. So the biggest problem is i have no way to get the explorer towed back to Lakewood, The LC has no receiver hitch for a car dolly which i cant find one within a hundred miles for rent, and the front of the explorer is all plastic so there is nowhere for me to hook a tow bar to, i thought about taking the exploder to a repair shop, and the cheapest quote i can come up with up here is around $1800, plus any additions things needed. If anyone has a trailer/car dolly and could come help me get the explorer back in the coming week(my last day of work here is scheduled to be the 8th or 9th, I'll know more as the week progresses) or so i would greatly appreciate it. I'm more than willing to compensate for gas/expenses of coming to help me out.

Wheatland Wyoming is Located 171 Miles from Denver, And is off the I-25 Corridor An Hour North Of Cheyenne.

transplant87
April 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM
im willing to help on my days off (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday) and i have a truck that might make the pull back. lol

Fordguy77
April 30th, 2011, 01:01 PM
im willing to help on my days off (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday) and i have a truck that might make the pull back. lol

Do you have a way for us to use a car dolly or trailer?

transplant87
April 30th, 2011, 01:04 PM
i know a guy that rents trailers for 25 bucks a day

edog
May 1st, 2011, 03:30 PM
I will be back from Moab the week of May 9th, my land cruiser has a receiver hitch, I know Uhaul trailers are about $30/day, I don't know if they could haul a vehicle. That's about all I have to contribute right now unfortunately.

Brody
May 2nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
Sans a trailer option, maybe you can rent a U Haul car dolly. Still have to get someone to tow it. You may also want to double check to see if you have to disconnect the driveshaft or simply leave the tranny/T case in neutral when you tow a Yota with the front wheels up. I seldom end up towing anything that way, so my memory isn't good....

scout man
May 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Did you get this all figured out Chris? Looked like Keith offered, so if that isnt going through let us know or you probably wont get anymore offers!

Chris
May 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Please let us know, it does sound like you got it covered. It looks like a 3 hour drive each way, I may be able to do that too if you have a trailer, dolly, etc.

Fordguy77
May 2nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Sans a trailer option, maybe you can rent a U Haul car dolly. Still have to get someone to tow it. You may also want to double check to see if you have to disconnect the driveshaft or simply leave the tranny/T case in neutral when you tow a Yota with the front wheels up. I seldom end up towing anything that way, so my memory isn't good....
The biggest problem is i cant find a trailer place up here to rent one. So i would have to have someone pick it up for me and reimburse them when they get up here, or find a way to get them money over pay pal or through Katey maybe.

Since whoever comes to get me is going to be pulling the Exploder, If we use a car dolly we have to drop the rear drive shaft.

Fordguy77
May 2nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Did you get this all figured out Chris? Looked like Keith offered, so if that isnt going through let us know or you probably wont get anymore offers!

Right now i have a few PM's And Keith has made a pretty good offer. I find out tonight at work when i am will be laid off, so that will help me finalize the plans and see what works for everyone. Thanks for all the offers everyone!

transplant87
May 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
like i said i have a truck and know where to get a trailer cheap so let me know when and where.

Funrover
May 2nd, 2011, 07:08 PM
I will see what I can find. I have in laws in Wheatland. Wish I would have seen this sooner.

Jackie
May 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
I was thinking about going to Wyoming this weekend for a different reason entirely, but I don't think my Jeep could tow your truck. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Robert B
May 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
i think if your jeep couls jackie it would be hard on it since chris's trucks probably weight slightly more .........but just what i think on my limited knowledge of towing

Brody
May 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Simply put, you don't want to tow a heavier rig with a lighter rig. Physics isn't on your side. Sure, it can and has been done, but....

And Jackie's Jeep is lighter than the FJ60...

Jackie
May 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
That's what I figured. Sorry I can't help.

transplant87
May 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM
i dont think he is towing the fj60 i think its going to be his GF explorer

Jackie
May 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Either way - I'm out. My girls have plans for me since it"s Mothers Day weekend. (???) ! :erm: Not sure of the plot...!

Coonburger
May 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM
AAA man i can hook ya up with one of my calls 100 miles is all it will cover but if u have it towed with a dolly *i do this for a living* two options throw the ass end up lock the steering wheel and wrap the seat belt around the steering wheel the key with towing it this way is make sure its in 2wd otherwise itll kill ur ****. Other option is pull from the front with the driveshaft pulled putting the transfer case in neautral can still **** up **** *beleive me ive done it* the transfer can snap back into gear *not pretty* specially on a long haul like that 20 to 30 mile tow i wouldnt worry too much but yeah. let me know if u need anything and ill do what i can for ya.

Coonburger
May 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM
oh yeah AAA plus is about 120 some dollars if u dont use it the same day u can use it 24 hours after u get ur member ship, have the sucker towed like 100 miles to another shop or somthing then tow it again the next day home just a thought.

Chris
May 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I've had AAA for years and made my money back when I blew the tranny on the way back from Moab a few years back. :thumb:

Fordguy77
May 7th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Ive already contacted triple A, and apparently my policy(pigging back off my dads) has rules in regards to go from one state to another. And in other news i am still working 7 12's for another week, so it looks like this recovery is on hold.

Patrolman
May 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
They should tow it 100 miles to a destination of your choice. Doesn't need to be a shop. When my Jeep blew a hole through a piston and was consuming oil like crazy, we got it from Utah to just past Glenwood. Had it mapped out to the mile so that it would get towed to the Eisenhower tunnel. Then drove it into Denver, basically downhill. ;)

Maybe you can get it towed to a few miles within the state line, then drive it across (it should still run I guess) and then get it towed again? Just a thought.

Fordguy77
May 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM
They should tow it 100 miles to a destination of your choice. Doesn't need to be a shop. When my Jeep blew a hole through a piston and was consuming oil like crazy, we got it from Utah to just past Glenwood. Had it mapped out to the mile so that it would get towed to the Eisenhower tunnel. Then drove it into Denver, basically downhill. ;)

Maybe you can get it towed to a few miles within the state line, then drive it across (it should still run I guess) and then get it towed again? Just a thought.

They told me theyd toll it any where i want when i talked to them last week, but told my i only have 7 miles free because of the company's available to tow my car here. So now i am looking at putting a receiver hitch on the FJ60 and just tow the explorer home with a tow bar.

Coonburger
May 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM
hrm 7 miles is what u get for a Out of state basic member ship , instate is 4 miles free.