PDA

View Full Version : Run this weekend.

Aaron
May 2nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
It's supposed to be pretty this weekend. You guys should get some stuff up on the calendar!

Rob
May 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
You guys should get some stuff up on the calendar!

Aren't you one of the guys? ;)

Aaron
May 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Aren't you one of the guys? ;)

I am. I just can't go this weekend. Too much crap to catch up on from not being here for a week :-/ I want to wheel vicariously through others.

Robert B
May 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
I want to wheel vicariously through others.
......its not as fun just so you know :)

Brad
May 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Going to be beautiful Sat but I am in the middle of a large landscaping project at home. I would rather wheel but the Rover needs work.

Chris
May 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
I am in the middle of a large landscaping project at home

Me too but Pete's doing all the work! :thumb:

I probably won't be doing much wheeling until my mother gets better and out of rehab. :frown:

foxtrot
May 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I would go on something if I didn't break something on Saturday. I was looking at the front wheel going up an obstacle and all I hear is a loud snap and the wheel stopped turning. thinking it is either an axle shaft or a birfield. tearing it down this week :)

Colin
May 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
I would like to go but idk where... any suggestions?

Titus
May 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
I am up for going on something as well. Hatz - if we want something easy (but scenic) we could head down to the Rampart Range Road area. I believe it is open.

BlackRubi
May 2nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
If I can swap shifts with someone I would like to go do a run. Is Loch Lomond clear and open?

Mporter
May 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
I'd love to go but i work all weekend. But now i'm officially out of school (as of 1pm today) so i'm free till august :D

Colin
May 2nd, 2011, 06:56 PM
now i'm officially out of school
Lucky i have got 14 more days!!!!
Any way loch lomond does sound good like a good fit for the scenic bit titus, although i have never run the trail it does not look hard. But idk on if the snow will have cleared out, or if its open...

Titus
May 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately I think Loch Lomond opens in the June/July timeframe. Most of the good trails don't look to be open yet. That is why I suggested the Rampart Range area. They are for sure open and would still be enjoyable.

Robert B
May 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
hey titus if you come down here (rampart range) i should be able to join you so pick a day and lets see what happens :)

Colin
May 2nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Loch Lomond opens in the June/July timeframe
Ya it probably is closed...
I do not really know much about rampart range area but dakan road next to it looks fun too, but like i said i have no clue about trails in that area.
Just wondering would slaughterhouse be open and/or would it be a good trail run this time of year?

Titus
May 2nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
I am going to set up a run for Saturday (May 7th) for Rampart Range Road and associated side trails (whatever is open down there, Rampart Range is for sure).

Colin
May 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Ill probably be able to make it.

Robert B
May 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
as far as i know everything down this way is open minus maybe some of the super hard places most of us wont go anyway :thumb:

Chris
May 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Ya it probably is closed...
I do not really know much about rampart range area but dakan road next to it looks fun too, but like i said i have no clue about trails in that area.
Just wondering would slaughterhouse be open and/or would it be a good trail run this time of year?

Last I was on Dakan it's smooth as a baby's @ss and is most of the area. Slaughterhouse, also bulldozed, should be open.

Colin
May 2nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
Dakan it's smooth as a baby's @ss and is most of the area. Slaughterhouse, also bulldozed
:frown:

Chris
May 2nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'd give Slaughterhouse a try since it's probably been pretty heavily used since the bulldozing and may be fun again!

Trailrat99XJ
May 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hey Chris! Long time no see! I would head up to Slaughterhouse this weekend just to get up there!! It's been awhile!!!!!!

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
I am going to get my house crap done over the next few weeks (painting and planting and countertops oh my) so I can mess around when trails are open and the weather is even better.

Brody
May 3rd, 2011, 07:32 AM
Yup, Dakan Mountain is nothing like the trail that shows on traildamage.com anymore. Graded flat and oiled because of all the private residences around there. Not worth a thought anymore.

If you are considering Rampart area. Illinois Gulch/Rainbow Falls road is OK, especially if you have never been there before. Stuff accessed via Mt Herman Road>Rampart Range is also interesting. Balanced Rock Road (FS 322) is fine and goes all the way down to Palmer Reservoir, then returns. Keep in mind that there are a mess of trials throughout that area, primarily on the east side of Rampart. FS 323 wanders down to a dead end hiking trail head (Winding Stairs) with some nice views. When FS 323 hits the 'T' junction with FS 324, go right to this area. On the return, bypass FS323 and follow FS 324 as it eventually winds back to Rampart Range. There are side roads all through this area, most of which end up on ridge top overviews/camping spots.

By taking all of these roads, starting with Mt Herman, you get a full tour of North and South Monument Creek drainages.

Word of warning: DO NOT FOLLOW TRAILDAMAGE.COM's directions as to how to get to this area. It will add an easy hour's drive over some terminally BORING roads. These roads are probably fine if you have a habit of overdosing on Valium or Prozac then driving around, but other than that, simply suck. Having rock climbed and explored in this area extensively since the late 80s here are my suggestions:

Via Mt Herman:

Take I25 to the Monument exit. Turn west and follow your nose through town, crossing the railroad tracks, then turn south on 105(I think). Road 'Ts' here so just go left. Look for the Mt Herman Road sign and follow that. This will be a right turn immediately after a right hand bend in the road. You will end up where Mt Herman joins Rampart Range Road. Go right here and all the best FS roads are right turns off of this. If you go straight at this junction, you will end up back in Woodland Park. See below.

Fastest:

Take Hwy 285 to Pine Junction, and go right. Follow this road through Deckers and continue towards Woodland Park. You will pass a golf course as you get close to Woodland Park and the road will bend right and then straighten out. Watch for a turn to your left that is ONE block before a corner gas station, also on your left. If you see the gas station (last gas, BTW), you have gone one block too far. Back track to the last street. This road goes all the way through to Rampart Range Road, where it 'Ts'. Go left. You will be on Rampart and will pass signs for Rampart Reservoir. Continue and you will pass where Mt Herman Road intersects. Bear left.

Alternatively:

This is only really valid if you enjoy highway driving or live in the Springs. It is actually 45 minutes longer than the previous two routes. Believe me, we tried every route down to these areas over the years...

Take I25 south to Hwy 24, and go east to Woodland Park. Make a right turn at the McDonald's. You will be on Rampart Range Road.

Almost all the roads that I described (FS 322, 323, 324, etc.) eventually end up back on some part of Rampart Range Road and provide a nice wandering tour of that area with some very nice 'surprise' views of Pikes Peak, Monument, the plains, the Air Force Academy, etc. If you don't take some of the spur roads, you will miss a lot of the views. Most of the spurs are pretty short and simply end on ridge tops. A topo map of the area is nice to have.

Hope this helps.

Colin
May 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I would head up to Slaughterhouse this weekend just to get up there!! It's been awhile!!!!!!
I would rather run slaughterhouse than rampart range, plus i really am not up for driving down to the springs with current gas prices.

Titus
May 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
I can do slaughterhouse if thats where we want to go. I was hoping to run in my Durango but since it is pretty much stock, I will have to take the H1. Set up a trail for Slaughterhouse and I will cancel the one I posted.

Colin
May 3rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Alright ill set it up, 10:00 meeting time work ?

Titus
May 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Yes, either 9 or 10. We can meet in Connifer since that is just down the road. Just post all of the information and I will be there.