PDA

View Full Version : Slaughterhouse Gulch May 7th

Colin
May 3rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Name & Date of the Run: Slaughterhouse Gulch
Meeting Place & Meeting Time: Meet in Conifer on Highway 285 at the Bradley gas station(Its right after you turn right on to CR43A) at 10:00.
Directions (or use the insert map feature): Take Hw 285 to CR43A( about 25 miles from C470) turn right at the light then a quick left to the gas station.
CB Channel being used: 4

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=2

sunk
May 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I havent been up there for a while, since I got stuck up there...it wasnt even on the trail, on the road between the entrance and exit, I drove thru a hole in 2 wheel drive. Turned out to be an 8 hour extraction. If you would, check to see if that hole is still there, Im just curious.

Robert B
May 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
is that where the name and signature came from ? :)

Brad
May 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I was just looking at this trail today. Unfortunately the Rover is still in need of work. I expect alot of pics!!!

Stephen
May 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I was just looking at this trail today. Unfortunately the Rover is still in need of work. I expect alot of pics!!!

Hey Brad, I'm thinking about going. My son has a soccer double header that day, so my family wouldn't be coming if you wanna ride with me.

Brody
May 5th, 2011, 07:46 AM
The road got plowed smooth in a lot of places by the FS last year, everything except the loop part. I seriously doubt the hole is still there as it would make it impassable for a Honda Civic, which seems to be the kind of traffic the FS decides to plow /grade 4x4 roads for...

As an aside, since Slaughterhouse is a very short and fast trail, you may want to get in a little more exploring. Here is a suggestion:

After Slaughterhouse, continue through Bailey towards Kenosha Pass. Pass Grant and go past the turn off for the Red Cone. The next road on your right is a marked County Road. If you take that road all the way to the end, it will dead end at private land, so don't go all the way to the end. Take either the first or second left hand turns off of this and you will enter a maze of roads that will eventually get you all the way to Como or Georgia Pass. A good many of these loop back around and you will get back to Hwy 285 or the trails that you started from.

Some of these trails will exit out the very next road past the previous County road, which is actually a fun place to start any of these trails. This is the very last right hand turn BEFORE starting up Kenosha Pass proper, isn't very well marked and is a very sharp almost 180 right turn off of Hwy 285.

Basically, going north on these roads without gaining too much altitude, will dump you out on the Handcart Gulch/Red Cone road after driving through a semi residential section, but before the actual Red Cone trail head. Going south from the County road (54, I think) will dump you out onto either 285 where the sharp right hand turn is, or you can follow your nose and come out either just NW of Jefferson, or stay on the backroads and west of Hwy 285 and eventually end up in Como.

Fun trails and a lot of them. Best to have a topo map, but not brain surgery if you don't. You are always west of 285, so all you have to do is to keep turning east and you will get there. None of the trails are especially difficult unless they have a lot of snow on them and some of the views are surprising. Beware though: If the road says it 'dead ends', it REALLY means it. There are occasional gates at the end of the roads marked 'dead end', the roads are sometimes narrow and twisty, and there are usually no places to turn around. Hitting a dead end road usually means backing up for a mile or two and, while challenging, isn't especially fun...

Brad
May 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hey Brad, I'm thinking about going. My son has a soccer double header that day, so my family wouldn't be coming if you wanna ride with me.

Very tempting. I have to get a wheel bearing done for a friend this weekend. I will see if I can get it done tomorrow instead. How sure are you on going?

Flako
May 5th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Damn.... how deep was that hole?? I remember seeing a picture of a Sammi in that same spot last year and from what i did hear it got fixed.

Brody
May 5th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Gary

Don't get your hopes up about playing in the mud pits. The wonderful FS closed the mud pits off the same time they installed a supposed seasonal gate for Crow hill. This was sometime either very early last year or late the year before.

This is one section of the mud pits that I seemed to have an affinity for, both summer and winter, as I have gotten stuck in every big hole there over the years. This shot shows me going for the classic and hard to repeat "double hole stuck" where you have to carefully center your frame over the high spot between both mud holes and keep the weight off of all four tires. Only 40 plus years of wheeling allowed me to perform this seldom duplicated feat..

Here is a video of the same mud pits in winter. The Jeep is Fred's (DETN8R) and the passenger is Adam(94Toybear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VIu4-GXwPo

sunk
May 6th, 2011, 07:56 AM
The hole I got stuck in wasnt at the mud pits. Just a spot that got bad during runoff.

Just a heads up about Twin Cone, Ive got a coworker that has property just before the trail gets hard. He was up there last weekend and says there is 2+ feet of snow above his property.

JGomez31
May 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I would like to join you, but have to be back in town before 3p. Anyone know about how long this trail along takes?

Titus
May 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I think the trail is very short. I believe the plan is to do it and then head down 285 a bit to Twin Cone. We will easily be done with Slaughterhouse by the time you need to be out of there.

JGomez31
May 6th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks, I tried to pull-up the map on TrailDamage.com, but their website isn't cooperating with me today

JGomez31
May 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I don't have a CB, so I will have to meet-up at the gas station. I am not familiar with a Bradley gas station near CO-43A. Where is that in relation to the Loaf n' Jug?

Colin
May 6th, 2011, 04:34 PM
and the trail is a quick one usally takes about 2.5ish hours

Colin
May 6th, 2011, 04:43 PM
ok so i messed up the meeting place, please meet at the gas station right off the CR43A, it is a loaf n' jug i believe, at 10:00 not the gas station in conifier

Colin
May 6th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Sorry about the typo...:erm:

Titus
May 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I will try to be there a few minutes early so that people can easily spot where to go. It isnt hard to find my big yellow machine.

Brody
May 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Better have a back up plan for twin Cone. That is a Typical Colorado high altitude trail and the top part doesn't even open up for quite awhile. That is if the seasonal gates are even open this time of year...My guess is that Twin Cone is going to be a total wash...

You will have a really good indication of the conditions as you go up Kenosha

Rob
May 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Wish I could go. I've done Slaughterhouse only in the dead of winter with snow and ice. That's too far for me for a short trail and I couldn't stay for two trails. You guys have fun.

Coonburger
May 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
how did the run go couldnt go and i rellized that its the kuntucky derby today

JGomez31
May 7th, 2011, 03:30 PM
It was a great run... we ended-up having 8 rigs. I would expect you will see some photos up by Monday.

Gossamer
May 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
glad to see everyone made it home safe