PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle question

Coonburger
May 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
i have a detrioit locker in the rear and ive noticed bout a quarter turn of slop in the rear end. doesnt howl or nothing fluid is clean as a whistle. From what ive been told that is normal especially for a first gen detroit. this true or should i be worrying

Brody
May 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM
This is actually normal for a Detroit locker. The inherent design of the Detroit locker needs a few degrees to rotate, which is multiplied by your gear ratio. The higher numerically your gears are, the more the the rotation needed. This is also the cause of the rather abrupt loading and unloading of the Detroit that people get all tweaky about, again because of the design.

I have had lockers or spools in every 4x rig I have ever owned since 69 or 70, all of them driven on the roads and trails, winter and summer. I don't even pay attention any more. Someone asks me how differently a locker drives than an open diff, it is hard for me to answer mainly because there isn't that much difference. It is just a 4x...People get way too wrapped up in the BS about lockers vs open vs posi BS in my not so humble opinion.

southpaws3
May 11th, 2011, 10:55 PM
x2 w/ brody plus which service are you in ?? alot of the older military vehicles had detroits in them due to the ease-when servicing them ,and the abuse they can handle.

Coonburger
May 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM
i did 6 years in the airforce, 4 year contract with a 2 year extention so i could go back to iraq with my troops one last time. total of three deployments between iraq and aph. i was security forces and got lent out to the army and marines alot for convoys fun times being under a different branches command. and thanks for the info just wanted to make sure i wasnt gonna have to learn how to rebuild my rear axle just yet lol.