PDA

View Full Version : Moderate/difficult trail for Sunday?

ccbruin
May 17th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Looking for a semi-hard trail to run on Sunday. Something decently close to Denver. Preferably no or little snow. (I cant wait for summer!!)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Haku
May 17th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Spring Creek is the only trail that I would consider close to Denver that rates in the "semi-hard" category. To me that is relative, and its mostly hard because its prone to breaking things in the Rock Garden at the very top. Honestly, if you go around "the Wall" obstacle and pick your line right in the Rock Garden, its doable by mildly built rigs. On the flip side, I've also seen a Jeep with 1 ton axles and lots of armor get in trouble too. Most of the breakage I have seen has been due to either using too much throttle or having undercarriage clearance issues. Its down to not trying to hard and be willing to take your time and picking a good line. The cool thing is, its only a half hour drive from the Morrison Exit on I-70, so its worth doing just due to proximity. Unfortunately, reports say that its still covered in snow most of the way up, so it would be a long day of pulling winch cable. I'd give that one a few more weeks before trying it personally.

There is discussion of a Old Chinaman's Gulch run this weekend. Its definitely more of a drive (~2.5-3 hours from Denver Metro area) but its plenty challenging and fun. If you need more, Carnage BV is there and is VERY challenging (front and rear lockers, a winch, a roll cage/body armor and 37" tires minimum kind of challenging if the sign at the beginning is to be believed). Chinamans's definitely rates in the "semi-hard" category if you ask me.

I'm sure some people will be headed down to Penrose this weekend since its low elevation and rarely snows there. Its between Colorado Springs and Canon City, and offers some of the harder trails in Colorado. Its definitely not for the faint of heart for most, but Liberty is doable by most locked rigs. Independence and Patriot are definitely stout though, and would hold to the same rules as Carnage BV about build level. Not sure I would put anything down there in the "semi-hard" category though.

If it was July, Holy Cross would be an option too. Its about a 2 hour driver from the Denver foothills. Great trail, plenty of challenging spots and great views. Definitely want at least a rear locker and some body armor though. It has some quite challenging ledges on it, and a few places that feel awfully off camber. Still doable by moderately built vehicles though, especially if you are willing to winch and take the easier lines through French Creek. It can get VERY crowded on the weekends, so I would avoid it then. Like I said too, the trail probably won't open till late June or early July due to snow.

ccbruin
May 17th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Me and a buddy want to hit Spring Creek, but we decided to wait until June at least. Those other trails seem to be a little too challenging for me at this point. :( and i don't really want to drive to Chinamans for 1 day wheeling.

Right now i'm thinking about Lefthand Canyon.

Mesomelas
May 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Put on some road touring tires, that should make just about everything difficult. :D

Gossamer
May 17th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Go to the C.O.R.E ! Ive been wanting to go there just to say i have !

ccbruin
May 17th, 2011, 06:03 PM
C.O.R.E. is pretty fun! Good place to just mess around. When i went the mud pits weren't mud pits :(. i wonder if they are now..

Flako
May 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Eagle Rock in CO springs is a good option. Spring Creek is not very complicated. Ive done that trail with friends that run 32's Open/Open. Had to take the bypass on the Gate Keeper, but everything else it did fine. You could also check out Illinois Gulch those steps they have there look a lot like Moab.

Haku
May 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Eagle Rock in CO springs is a good option. Spring Creek is not very complicated. Ive done that trail with friends that run 32's Open/Open. Had to take the bypass on the Gate Keeper, but everything else it did fine. You could also check out Illinois Gulch those steps they have there look a lot like Moab.

Its definitely simpler then a lot of people make it out to be. Definitely doable with open differentials. Here is me in my previous rig doing "The Wall" or Gatekeeper as Alan called it, with no lockers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUouprHbiBM&feature=player_profilepage#t=185s

Sorry...its a bit long but there is some decent stuff and it shows how just getting the right line will get you up. I welded my rear locker up a couple days after that and it walked right up it the next time I went.

The rock garden is definitely a "hang up central" though. As long as you take it easy its not too bad though. I'm looking forward to it being open again soon. I think there was quite a bit of snow up high there though, so it might be a little while before its free of snow all the way up. I've done that trail a ton and would be happy to lead a trail run up it. Might be good to go during the week though, as it gets a bit crowded on the weekends.

foxtrot
May 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I made liberty in and out when I was locked in the rear on 35's. not horribly difficult, plus you can see some really built up rigs go through independence. I am going down on Saturday if anyone wants to join. a group of about 10 of us.

Gossamer
May 20th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Make it Sunday so I can go please!!!!!!!! Lol

Brody
May 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Hook up with the guys going to OCG on Sunday. It is pretty much a classic moderately hard/difficult trail and you are almost assured of having good weather and no snow due to the location.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?12932-Chinamans-Gulch-5.21.11-May-21st-2011

Gossamer
May 20th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Brody thats a awesome trail and I've been there twice this year! Kinda wanted to stay a little closer to town but if that's the only run on Sunday I might just have to give in ...can u call me asap, I've got some ?'s regarding u fab'n my skids thanks 3-881-1561

Gossamer
May 20th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Also they are going on sat according to the thread

WisehartCuttingHorses
May 20th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I would like to join in the fun on sunday, semi hard sounds real good since i am breaking in a new motor. That left hand canyon would be pretty close also!! sounds like a good test run on the jeep! Let me know when and i will meet ya there

Titus
May 20th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I would like to join in the fun on sunday, semi hard sounds real good since i am breaking in a new motor. That left hand canyon would be pretty close also!! sounds like a good test run on the jeep! Let me know when and i will meet ya there

I am heading to Left Hand Canyon tomorrow (Saturday). The information is in the planned run section.

ccbruin
May 20th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I cant run on sunday. I got another playoff game that was pushed back by the weather. we won tonight though 10-4!