PDA

View Full Version : Lefthand Canyon - 5/21/11

Titus
May 21st, 2011, 05:27 PM
So Whinobutts (Joe) and I tried Lefthand Canyon today. Although we had a blast, we unfortunately did not get to finish it. Between the slick rocks, soft sand/mud, and the weight and size of my vehicle, I ended up getting stuck a few times, all needing winching and recovery. Just by sitting in place I was sinking. We eventually decided to turn back (which apparently was a good choice as a Jeep who passed us said I would not be able to fit through The Squeeze obstacle).

I also busted my halfshaft boot (see picture) and had to limp home in high-lock in order to get any power to my wheels.

Jackie
May 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Ooohh, sorry to hear about carnage, but glad you guys got out and tried it and had a good time. BTW, how much does your truck weigh? I know width can always be an issue on some trails, but I never factored in the thought of weight. (And that is one pretty truck!!!)

Titus
May 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM
If you include the junk I have in the back I am probably closing in on the GVW of 10,000+ lbs. There were a few cases that in order to navigate a narrow path, I had to run up on the soft edge, which proceeded to collapse under my weight. Add on top of this that my winch line was incredibly kinked and we were surprised it didn't snap. I will be replacing my line with a synthetic line when I do the other fixes I need to perform.

Colin
May 21st, 2011, 06:34 PM
Wow that is a lot of weight!!!! Sorry to hear about the carnage, at least it isn't a daily driver anymore!

Jackie
May 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
I am probably closing in on the GVW of 10,000+ lbs.
Wow! Yes - I can see how that would be an issue on loose soil (and we're sure to have plenty of that). The word "edge" gets me edgy, but soft ground and "edge" in the same sentence... yikes!

Titus
May 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah, it's not the lightest of beasts. I am realizing more and more that my rig cannot traverse many of the trails in the mountains because of its size. I will likely be in the market for a smaller (yet still capable) vehicle to run these types of trails in.

Coonburger
May 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it was a pain in my dodge to make the corners on the way down the hill. I cant imagine doing it with your H1 hats off to ya man good driving.

Brody
May 22nd, 2011, 07:03 AM
I can just barely make the switchbacks on LHC in my heap without tacking. Doing it in a wider, longer rig is a different proposition altogether . One of the reasons that the turns all seem to have a bit of a pull out where people have had to back up and tack again to make the corners...Very sporting when all the turns are icy, too, having done that trail more in winter conditions than when it has been dry...What tires or pressure doesn't seem to matter a whole lot either as ice and mud seem to be great equalizers....

Nate
May 22nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Is that broken shaft in the front or the back?

Titus
May 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Is that broken shaft in the front or the back?

Right front. I already ordered and rebuilt one and will be installing it once I get back from vacation. I have a few other things to resolve in that same wheel well so I will take care of those.

Gossamer
May 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
i just wanna know what a full tank cost these days ...lol

Titus
May 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM

Close to $200.

Brody
May 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM

HAHA....Me, too. I stick $20-30 into the tank on either the Jeep or my heap...haven't filled up either one for awhile....just enough to get me by. It's not like they give a volume discount...

Funrover
May 24th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the pics, sorry about the damage.

Roostercruiser
May 24th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Is that an exhaust out of your rear wheel well?