PDA

View Full Version : Dead alternaotr... randomly

Funrover
June 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM
My Rover has acted up lately. I will be driveing along and the battery light comes on and the tach drops to 0. Then a short bit later it returns. Sometimes it jumps around, sometimes it works just fine. I can not duplicate the situation. It has happened more often in the mornings. My thoughs are the regulator but I never seem to have my test equipment when it dies. Any thoughts? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Quick backround:
Alternator is a Mean Green, the plug has been changed from factory.

Brody
June 9th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Tach or amp meter drops to zero? It may be just the gauges, but my thought would be a ground wire.

Another possibility is that your main power lead coming off the alternator is broken inside the plastic and when the engine vibrates, that causes the randomness.

At any rate, both are easy to fix or replace so it may be the place to start.

Funrover
June 9th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Tach or amp meter drops to zero? It may be just the gauges, but my thought would be a ground wire.

Another possibility is that your main power lead coming off the alternator is broken inside the plastic and when the engine vibrates, that causes the randomness.

At any rate, both are easy to fix or replace so it may be the place to start.

The tachs are run off of the alt. much the way diesels are. I will look at the cable, do a continuity test. Rough roads and bumps don't seem to bother it though..... But it's a starting point

sunk
June 9th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I wouldnt think its the alternator, unless its an intermittent contact. I would have said a ground, but I think it could also be a loose connection in the dash somewhere.

Patrolman
June 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I would say voltage regulator as well. What happens when the lights are on? Dim on/off too?

Funrover
June 9th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I would say voltage regulator as well. What happens when the lights are on? Dim on/off too?

Random. Lights on/off doesn't matter. They do dim, however, when it fails.

Funrover
June 9th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I wouldnt think its the alternator, unless its an intermittent contact. I would have said a ground, but I think it could also be a loose connection in the dash somewhere.

The alternator maybe not, maybe just the regulator. Ichecked the wires leading to it, mounts etc for ground. I really don't know. It doesn't act up when I do checks at home.

Patrolman
June 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Just a general thought, since the lights dim, the alternator likely isn't charging. That just generally confirms an actual problem with the systen, rather than a false reading on the gauges/lights. That helps me track things from there.