PDA

View Full Version : Land Rover w/ Truetracs

Java
June 9th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Just a weird little video, I recently put Truetracs f/r in mine so I've been looking at stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uwpNpvsshQ

Fordguy77
June 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM
So TrueTrac= Tight Clutch Paked Limited Slip?

Robert B
June 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM
hey chris the 60 in the backyard has a trutrac i believe and my dad said he could stuff another clutch in it to make it tighter so that is also doable :)

Java
June 9th, 2011, 07:20 PM
no clutches in a Truetrac, you might be thinking Tracloc. here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc

Its a Torsen-type gear driven limited slip, similar to what they use in some military vehicles. Some people love them, some people say lockers or nothing. I am using them as a stepping stone to ARBs & 4:56 gears, I got the front one new (ebay) and the rear used (colorado4x4.org classifieds) for $500.00 total to my door, installed them myself reusing the stock 3:73s, so with bearings, fluid, silicon and bandaids I've spent about $580.00 and I have traction in both axles. I'm taking them on thier first run (together, I've had the front one longer) to Gordon Gulch this saturday, I'll see if its been a waste of $$ or not. So far I love them on the street, feels like open diffs.

Brody
June 9th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I got seriously bored with the video just watching the guy slowly spin his tires on a tiny little old hill without making any progress.

That's what lockers tend to do...spin all four tires...

At any rate, you will like them...

Funrover
June 9th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Was anyone else waiting for the truck to find traction and drive away?

Heather
June 9th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Wow, that was...weirdly interesting.

RockyMtnHigh
June 10th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Was anyone else waiting for the truck to find traction and drive away?

Yes and to hear, "oh sh!t, oh sh!t" as he is running/sliding to get into the driver side, dropping the camera, but it didn't happen!:frown::lmao:

Java
June 10th, 2011, 07:31 AM
and the wisdom of having your kid and your truck freewheeling on the same hill. If it did find traction at best it would hit the trees, but if it turned at all the boy is sliding down and climbing back up right next to it, that could go south in a hurry. I'm not sure if he's in contention for Father of the Year or Four Wheeler of the Year...

Fordguy77
June 10th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Ah ok, i haven't really looked into them much, the whole pushing the brake to get both wheels to spin reminded me of a limited slip, so thats why i assumed it was just a super tight clutch pack in it to get it to lock.