PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Advice for my boy?

Aaron
June 16th, 2011, 10:41 AM
So, my boy asked me a question that I wanted to get your opinion on. He's 14 and looking daily on CL for a good base rig to start with as his first car and off roading rig. He is way down on the bottom of the cost range. The question is, should he spend the money that he has saved now on a non-running (some without motors) rig and spend the next couple of years buying the things to make it whole or should he save his money a little longer and buy a running rig but then have less time to build it up? He's looking at old XJs and CJs. I'm thinking that a running rig is always better than a non running rig even if it is not perfect.

Thoughts?

Brad
June 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Running is always better than non running. Unless you have a wealth of knowledge at your disposal and all the tools to fix it.

Buy a running rig and spend some money on a basic tool set if he plans on doing all the work himself. This is what I did when
I was 17 and got my first car. Tools will always pay for themselves. :thumb:

Chris
June 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I agree, my first car was at 15 and ran, not well but it ran. I spent my time fixing it and learning what was what and getting my hands dirty.

jdawg33
June 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm with Brad and Chirs. Running is better than not running. Even if just hardly. Then he can get out there a little sooner. Although it might take a ltitle longer to save up the cash. I think the could end up with a better rig in the end... You could always try to talk me out of the black Jeep in two more years. It might be time for a JK by then :)

Haku
June 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Agree......go for running. Whatever conception you have about what it takes to rebuild an engine quickly goes out the door, especially the first time. If its something easy like a fuel pump or something then maybe worth buying a non runner, but its hard to completely suss out whats wrong if you can't hear it run.

I've seen plenty of XJ's go for under $1k with a running engine in them and He has the time to wait for the right deal. I think the XJ is a really good first vehicle too (it was the first vehicle I could call "mine" too). Relatively stable, enough power to get where it needs to go but not enough to get into too much trouble. Cheap and burly enough to take the inevitable abuse that will come with a teenage driver. I've actually thought about getting one as a mild wheeler to use when I am doing a big project on the Yota or just want to get out on an easy trail that doesn't need a built rig.

Rob
June 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
On the other hand, a non-running rig will keep him busy for the next couple of years and out of trouble. Plus, he'll learn a lot. (Of course, it depends on what's not working on it.)

You knew I was going to be the contrarian. :)

Haku
June 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah....on second thought just tell him to stick with pedal cars....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEKi9D2hh0&feature=related

Nice and safe, but a definite cool factor.

Mporter
June 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM
That's what I did, just slowly built up my cruiser when i had money.

Java
June 16th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'd go for a running 4cyl. TJ, they're cheap and dependable, new and used parts are plentiful, and they modify on any budget. And the top comes off. XJs are about the same deal, but you can find a much newer TJ. Any Jeep will give him plenty of opportunities to learn how to fix stuff!

This is a cool site for project rigs, and I've seen Cherokees go for as little as $1000.00. It cycles depending on what the gov. is replacing, sometimes it's empty, other times there's tons of trucks and cop cars, bikes, you name it.
http://www.colo-auto-sales.com/

MelloYello
June 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I would save the money up and buy a decent rig that runs. It is ALWAYS cheaper to buy them then to build them.
I would look at the Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 ltr. inline 6. D30 front and 8.25 rear. preferably 97+. I am not saying that because I own one. They are cheap, solid, and parts are everywhere. Let him first spend the money on skids, tires, lift. Not on engine repair/overhaul, that will all come in time.

Haku
June 16th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I would save the money up and buy a decent rig that runs. It is ALWAYS cheaper to buy them then to build them.
I would look at the Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 ltr. inline 6. D30 front and 8.25 rear. preferably 97+. I am not saying that because I own one. They are cheap, solid, and parts are everywhere. Let him first spend the money on skids, tires, lift. Not on engine repair/overhaul, that will all come in time.

Agreed, that 4.0 will take some serious abuse. Mine was prone to overheating, but otherwise took whatever abuse I threw at it and shrugged it off. Went over 20k miles without changing the oil once, just to see what it would do (young and dumb) and I could hardly tell the difference.

To me, TJ equals more "fun" and more traditional Jeep, and XJ equals a bit more utilitarian and useful. The main complaint I hear from Wrangler owners across the board is lack of storage space and thats not really an issue with the XJ. I could put 8 kayaks on the XJ, and all the gear in the back and still have room for a front passenger and even possibly one in the back.

Also agree that its always cheaper to buy a rig that has what you want on it then start from scratch and add it yourself.

GaryG
June 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
If you have the resources, building is always more fun and educational. Bought a 57 bel air when I was 12, 4 years of work later it was ready to go. On the other hand, bought my son a 72 chevelle when he was 13, he lost interest after a year so now I have a muscle car about 95% done. It'll be for sale soon.

Chris
June 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I had a '57 when I was 16 Gary, my second car. Wouldn't mind having it now! :thumb:

Fordguy77
June 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I'm kinda in the middle of the road on this one. I am a firm believer in >$1000 rigs as a first car. They teach you a lot, and provide you with countless memories and life experiences. But there not for everyone, some people just want a car for point a to point b and could care less about anything else.
I'd look for something >$1000 Thats running, or runs, but has a few issues. But that's only if your boy wants to learn, and make the rig his own.

mattzj98
June 16th, 2011, 05:12 PM
My first off road rig was a zj with 250k miles. I went through 5 diff. Lifts and learned a lot about suspension and eventually swapped the motor.. I was 18 when I got into it. I bought it for $2000 =) id do it again any time

Squshiee1
June 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I would recommend a simple truck or suv with 4 wheel drive. i got mine for 700$ and put 50 into it for the water pump!

cfr
June 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Sami?

Squshiee1
June 16th, 2011, 05:19 PM
i would think bigger than that. what does he want?

Squshiee1
June 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
72 chevelle when he was 13, he lost interest after a year so now I have a muscle car about 95% done. It'll be for sale soon.

LEt me know, how much. I LOVE THOSE CARS, and my dad wants a lttle bit a a project

Chris
June 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Aaron, I recall a fellow Landcruiser owner describing being hit from behind on his FJ60. The LEO that showed up first, looked over the cruiser and the totaled car that hit him damaging the rear bumper and asked for details on the truck. Odd request until the cop told him he was looking for a truck for his 16 year old and just made up his mind what to get him. ;)

Mesomelas
June 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
You can buy a running Nissan Pathfinder for 1000-1400 bucks with little or no problems (I've bought 2 for $1000). The VG30 is bulletproof and the rest of the truck is pretty solid. There is also a large aftermarket for them. There's also billions of them out there, so the chance of getting one that hasn't been wheeled or otherwise abused is greater. It seems most Jeeps have already been wheeled or beat on.

JeffX
June 16th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Stock Samurai.

Roostercruiser
June 17th, 2011, 02:39 AM
My first car was my 54 Chevy 5 window. I paid $500 for it.got it running then over time built it up, I ran 35 yr old bias ply tires for 6 months.but when I sold it 2 yrs ago I had over $12000 into it.

Brody
June 17th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I would suggest an XJ as they are reliable, plentiful, and pretty damn cheap. The 4 banger Jeeps are another option for the same reasons. Secondly would be an older Yota, Nissan, Isuzu.

Hypoid
June 17th, 2011, 06:40 AM
1) Learn the "used car" questions to ask, the problems to watch for.
2) Buy a running stocker, wheel that stocker before building it. I've heard buying a used car called "buying someone else's headaches." Somehow, the headaches exponentiate on a vehicle that has been wheeled.
3) Don't be bashful about having a mechanic look over a car you are considering. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cures.

JeffX
June 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I thought some more. This will probably be his DD, so I recommend a 90-95 Pathfinder. These vehicles are (mechanically) nearly identical to the Xterra. They have the VG-series V6 engine proven to go 1,000,000 miles without rebuild.

They can be found for about $1000 needing work and less than $2k in perfect condition.

They're cheap because they are not as well known to the modding community. However, there are plenty of mods out there.

I also agree an old XJ with the 4.0L is a good option.

mattzj98
June 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM
x2 on XJ with 4.0

Mporter
June 19th, 2011, 04:03 AM
X3 on the XJ. That's what I was looking at for my first car.

I looked at the mpg's and saw 13-16, said "naw man, that's gonna be pricey".......look at me now, getting 8-13

Squshiee1
June 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I looked at the mpg's and saw 13-16, said "naw man, that's gonna be pricey".......look at me now, getting 8-13
You should get him a rodeo, or an amigo! i average 25mpgs, and that was even after riding the trail!

Brody
June 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM
One of the biggest advantages to something like the Jeep XJ, aside from being plentiful, reliable, and cheap is the amount of after market support should he decide to start building it up. This is something that you aren't going to have a lot of with a Nissan, or Isuzu, which is too bad. Both of those are great brands and have the mileage and engine/frame platform as a Yota, too. I would let the end result and the price dictate the vehicle purchased.

IE: General purpose DD...any of those. DD going to be turned into a wheeling rig at some point, then go with a model that has plentiful after market bolt on support and not a lot of custom fabrication crap to do.

Coonburger
June 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM
yeah when i wanted to drive to school my dad made me get the old farm truck running again which beleive me was alot of work but it was my baby. I learned alot from having to do it rather than have it already done for me. Now the other hand u save 90% of the cost of building a rig if its pre built. Basically its not about a vehicle its about the life experiances that come with it and the appreciation for what you have when ya have to work for it.

Jackie
June 19th, 2011, 10:09 PM
My daughter just told us tonight that she is considering trading/selling her 2002 Civic (with only 66k on it) for a 4x4. The kid has less knowledge of using a wrench than I do and certainly can't afford a new one OR an older model that would require work. Our best advice for her was that she finish her last year of nursing school before she considers anything that might put her in debt. The car has been paid off for years now, but I don't know if she realizes how cool it is to have a great DD that is paid for and still holds a lot of value. This car could last her many more years if she keeps the basic maintenance up as she has, but I think she and her boyfriend have summer fever right now and a lot of the camp sites they like require hitting the dirt. Her boyfriends' Corola takes a bit of a beating every time they go...

Your boy is only 14. Unless this purchase is a father/son project you want to do together, or your son is really into learning mechanics, I would encourage him to focus his attention on school first and cars later.

Squshiee1
June 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM
the amount of after market support
I didn't think about that, the after market parts selection for my car really SUCKS!

JeffX
June 19th, 2011, 10:33 PM
One of the biggest advantages to something like the Jeep XJ, aside from being plentiful, reliable, and cheap is the amount of after market support should he decide to start building it up. This is something that you aren't going to have a lot of with a Nissan, or Isuzu, which is too bad. Both of those are great brands and have the mileage and engine/frame platform as a Yota, too. I would let the end result and the price dictate the vehicle purchased.

IE: General purpose DD...any of those. DD going to be turned into a wheeling rig at some point, then go with a model that has plentiful after market bolt on support and not a lot of custom fabrication crap to do.

Totally agree. However, for a kid, a $200 lift on the pathy will do.

He has lotsa learning ahead before serious mods.

xaza
June 23rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
since he has a couple years before he gets to drive I say non-running and some tools. A craftsman tool set from Sears for around $300 bucks will have a majority of the tools needed to rip the entire engine apart. Help him (we will too) tear it apart a rebuild it. He will have a better understanding of the truck and be prepared to repair it when it breaks. He will also have a higher respect for the vehicle and likely take better care of it. I was bought cars when I was a teen and never had to repair them and had totaled 17 cars by 18. Once I started having to do my own repairs I learned to take care of them more.

JeffX
June 23rd, 2011, 06:46 AM
since he has a couple years before he gets to drive I say non-running and some tools. A craftsman tool set from Sears for around $300 bucks will have a majority of the tools needed to rip the entire engine apart. Help him (we will too) tear it apart a rebuild it. He will have a better understanding of the truck and be prepared to repair it when it breaks. He will also have a higher respect for the vehicle and likely take better care of it. I was bought cars when I was a teen and never had to repair them and had totaled 17 cars by 18. Once I started having to do my own repairs I learned to take care of them more.

Buying non-running vehicles for a child is the quickest way to turn your home into a junkyard.

MadDog99
June 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
yes i agree with xaza...my first car was a non-running cj5 i think i spent like 500 on it, but i learned alot from it. and the good thing about building a car your self is one pride and more respect for it and 2 if you break down you have the knowlege to fix it, and you wont have to spend your whole bank roll on paying someone else.

JeffX
June 27th, 2011, 07:40 AM
yes i agree with xaza...my first car was a non-running cj5 i think i spent like 500 on it, but i learned alot from it. and the good thing about building a car your self is one pride and more respect for it and 2 if you break down you have the knowlege to fix it, and you wont have to spend your whole bank roll on paying someone else.

I agree under certain circumstances. You have to have unlimited room, patience and money, though. A junker usuallly has a litany of unknown problems that will need parts along the way. Everybody has at least one friend with the garage project that took a turn for the worse.

It is much more expensive (99%/time) to buy a junker and get it running than to buy something that runs.

A running XJ or Pathy is your best bet. I believe the pathfinder will be the best vehicle for the price.

JeffX
July 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I hate to back track, but this one just needs a new throttle-body:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2467064061.html

Fordguy77
July 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Buying non-running vehicles for a child is the quickest way to turn your home into a junkyard.

Only if you let it go that way. And it has nothing to do with age... It all has to do with personal discipline, nothing more, nothing less.
I still support cheap non running vehicles as first cars...They always mean a million times more, teach countless life lessons, and build and boost confidence.