PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross

Coonburger
June 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I know this is a must hit trail for me this year and i was wondering when does it open? i really wanna go up there early enough to see the cross. I was thinking in a couple weeks later bout middle of july.

otisdog
June 17th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I have not seen any posts anywhere on the status. I know of some that are going up on the weekend of the 4th - it will be a parking lot then but at least there will be a status report. If I see anything I'll let you know.
Jim

EDIT - one of the people thinking of going on the 4th talked to the rangers up there and thinks there will still be too much snow.

Funrover
June 18th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Late July and August are great on that trail!

Haku
June 18th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah...agreed...late July is usually the time. I would do it on a weekday too, since it can take a LONG time due to traffic and it being an "up and back" for most of the trail. I hear that even if its open on the 4th of July, there are so many people on it that you spend 3/4 of the day just waiting for other people to get over obstacles.

I'm definitely down for a trip up there later in the summer. Its definitely planned for the 4runner Jamboree the last weekend of July, but I would be down for it another trip too.

pancake
June 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I have been on Holy Cross in 2010 an 2009 on the 4th of July weekend. the trail does take all day to do but the traffic was not to bad. I am planning on going this year if I am in town (could be in New Jersy for work in July). I have called the range station and they sais there is still a lot of snow but it is melting fast. If we don't go to Holy Cross because of the snow I will be heading to Blanca Peak (if I am in town).

When I know my schedule I will post up in the trip planning section.

Haku
June 26th, 2011, 03:13 AM
FYI, according to a dude on CO4x4, Holy Cross is passable up to French Creek, but then its gets VERY snowy. Here is a picture someone took Friday June 25th....

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad211/JKSebring96/Misc/001-1.jpg

I imagine it gets worse as you keep going past French Creek, especially in the windy bit through the woods.

Coonburger
June 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM
damn looks like its gonna be late july before it opens.

MadDog99
June 26th, 2011, 03:56 PM
ive never hit that trail but she looks like a blast, im contemplating it this summer. i know the jeep is ready for it but im just not a big fan of body damage:frown:

Coonburger
June 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
That is why iam glad mine has dents and scratches in it so i just dont really care anymore, lawl.

Haku
June 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I put a ding in my door on that trail, but thats because I wasn't paying attention in one of the easy sections and got too close to a rock. The rest of it isn't too bad as long as you have sliders (and don't flop or roll your rig). French Creek could cause some damage if you didn't have some stout rocker panel protection since its pretty chunky and the potential for high centering and scraping the belly of the rig is pretty high.

Obviously there is always the risk of doing body damage, but I wouldn't say that this is one of the trails with a higher occurrence of it.

gm4x4lover
June 27th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I didnt touch the undercarriage, rockers, or the body once when we went last year. I wasnt very impressed with the trail, and the attitudes of people at the creek made me want to never run it again.

Ardent
June 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Gas take clearancing courtesy of French Creek :D:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_Qm3lL4pd0c/TFoaLzeMbsI/AAAAAAAAARY/ClEChe6PXoE/s800/DSCN5252.JPG

No lift and 33's though...

4wdhunter
June 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I was up in the area this past weekend camping outside of Red Cliff. We tried to head over Shrine Pass to Vail and got shut down because of snow. Granted we were all driving our non-wheeling rigs. It's amazing how much snow is still up there in the trees and places that don't get much sunlight. I'd guess at least a couple more weeks before stuff is completley open up there. Temperatures were 75+ during the day and would drop down to around freezing at night.

I'd like to run HC again this year but would probably do it in August or early September to avoid the big crowds.

Zukrider
July 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
im planning a trip up to run aug 20. ill put it in the planned section here soon. its linked to an all zuk site as well.

Haku
July 2nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
Cool.

Rock Zombies tried to run it last weekend and got shut down with 10 feet of off camber snow drift at French Creek. I would think it will definitely be clear by the 20th of August though.

Coonburger
July 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM
yeah this is a must run for this year

otisdog
July 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
The Creek has been crossed and some made it to the bog area.
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=185069
Jim

SKIDROW
July 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I always go mid to late september and the last two times the water fall just below french creek got my right rear quarter :)

otisdog
July 20th, 2011, 07:47 AM
It's open to the top now:
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=185658
Jim