PDA

View Full Version : more open Clear Creek/Gilpin County

glacierpaul
June 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
Spent the day ATVing, being a guide for some friends from Florida. We ran from Alice over Yankee Hill and tried to go back towards Apex/Rollinsville, but is still snowed in just short of the Apex intersection. We turned around and went over to Central City and then back to Columbine Campground, then back toward Alice. We then took Cumberland Gulch down to Fall River Rd. to Rainbow Rd. and got to within a quarter mile of Fall River Reservior. Rainbow is still snowed in there and the route up to Chinn's and Sherwin Lake is snowed in. I am betting there will still be snow by the end of July!! :cheers:

Brad
June 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the report Paul! :thumb:

Funrover
June 24th, 2011, 12:21 AM
The snow is gonna linger this year, should be a fun season!

Hypoid
July 16th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Is Upper Loch Lamond open?

glacierpaul
July 17th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I don't think so, the USFS has a sign that says the second gate will open July 15, but they will not open it until all of the snow is melted off the entire road to Loch Lomond. I will drive over there and see here in a few, and post back.

glacierpaul
July 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Just got back. The second gate is closed right before the stream crossing. I find it extremely cool that I can do a 1/2 hour run before most folks are up:)

Hypoid
July 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Just got back. The second gate is closed right before the stream crossing. I find it extremely cool that I can do a 1/2 hour run before most folks are up:)Thanks for that Paul! I'm pretty happy to be 20 minutes from Idaho Springs.

I have not been up for a couple years. I have yet to take another picture worthy of replacing this as my wallpaper:

http://www.rmftc.com/gallery/data/533/medium/sunset.JPG

Yes, it was a double rainbow. :)

Mesomelas
July 17th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I camped in Mammoth Gulch this weekend, saw a lot of rigs going back and forth both ways on the Kingston Peak trail, maybe it is open all the way now from Apex to James Peak trailhead?

glacierpaul
July 18th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I will give the "loop" a try asap, I am almost done with the new parking lot up here, then I can play again. I have noticed that rigs are not coming back once they go up Hilltop(access road in my sub-division) toward Kingston. Still quite a bit of snow up here for late July.
Super nice shot Hypoid!! (we seem to have lots of double rainbows up here) I have some rivals on my computer, will have to get those kind of shots all in one folder. Here is my screen saver at the moment....

glacierpaul
July 19th, 2011, 05:44 AM
My buddy did the entire "loop", Kingston over to Yankee, on Sunday. The pic in my previous post, is from my deck.