PDA

View Full Version : Ellis Jeep Trail and others up north?

DETN8R
June 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Me and Adam (94ToyBear) are planning on doing some camping/wheeling this weekend through the week since he got his YJ lift finished yesterday.

I was wanting to run the Ellis Jeep Trail but I have no idea if it is passable since I heard we still have a lot of snow up in the high country. I'm trying to plan an epic trip since this will probably be the only vacation I get this year.

We're open to suggestions for any other trails up north as well as camping spot suggestions.

cfr
June 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
If I recall, Pete runs this every summer. Check the trip reports. He'll probably reply later.

Brody
June 28th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Ellis may be open and there is a lot of stuff of that trail. I would call one of the outfitters up in Steamboat or one of the ATV/4x4 places to get the current actual status. Hahn's Peak is probably open for sure and there are a lot of trails all over that on all sides. You are also going to be close to Enchantment, Wyoming if you go up that way, and there is supposed to be some good wheeling and camping around there.There is also some wheeling right off of Rabbit Ears Pass but the best is north of Steamboat...

Aaron
June 28th, 2011, 06:42 AM
It was fun last year despite not actually getting on Ellis Jeep trail due to a washout. I know mud is a theme on that trail. I would guess it would be very muddy given the moisture this year.

DETN8R
June 29th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Rob
June 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM
When we did it two years ago, it was mostly a dry trail with a couple of stretches of mud bogs. But they were rig-eating bogs, even as late in the year as it was. Farther north, there is a series of mud puddles. This early in the year, they could also be challenging.

DETN8R
July 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Road to Ellis jeep trail was closed for some reason. Signs said 550 to Wyoming was blocked by snow. 3miles up Hahns peak was blocked by snow drifts. Came back down to empire. Camping on bill moore

DETN8R
July 4th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Bill More was also blocked by snow drifts about a mile from the lake. Great trail otherwise.

Funrover
July 4th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I figure Ellis may be a late August run this year