PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill, Sat. July 9???

Java
June 27th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Meet at the Central City side at about 10:30- 11:00? it's not too long, I don't think it would take more than 2 - 3 hours to get to the St. Mary's side. I've never been on this trail, just read about it in the Wells book and the traildamage page, seems pretty easy and cool. Traildamage has a night run report that looks fun too. if anyone knows this trail and wants to lead... :thumb:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=48

Mporter
June 27th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I'd love to run it while it's dry, but alas i'm defacing my body with more ink that day. Plus I work 9-2 and that's peak wheeling times

Pathrat
June 27th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi. It is pretty easy. This trail, like most, has seen some rutting and run-off damage over the last few seasons. Last year, early in the season, I was able to go up 'the' hill. Later in the season, the water ruts were so bad I watched an ATV fail. No way I can navigate three foot trenches made of loose rock. Does anyone know if it is completely open yet?

Java
June 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I think it is open, I got the idea from this trip report on colorado4x4.org: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=184727

and I also saw this video, it was uploaded in May, not sure when it was shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLie7Bj_9es

looks like fun!!

glacierpaul
June 28th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I posted a thread, "more open in Clear Creek", it is open. Route over to Apex may even be open after last weekend. The "trench" is sort of filled in, at the moment. ATV's have to lock differentials to make that run, or hit it doing 60+mph and don't let up LOL. If I have time I may do this run with you, have LOTS of experience running it:rolleyes:

Java
June 28th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I posted a thread, "more open in Clear Creek", it is open. Route over to Apex may even be open after last weekend. The "trench" is sort of filled in, at the moment. ATV's have to lock differentials to make that run, or hit it doing 60+mph and don't let up LOL. If I have time I may do this run with you, have LOTS of experience running it:rolleyes:

Cool, I bet you have done that one a lot, living right there. If you go you should lead! I'm actually working that morning 6-9 ish, hoping to go after, 10, 11, 12, whatever. I'll post it as a run when i have time later today.

Brad
June 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM
If you go up cumberland gulch there are a few pretty nasty washout areas. Fun for the experienced, sketchy at best for beginners. :thumb:

Java
June 28th, 2011, 09:01 PM
If you go up cumberland gulch there are a few pretty nasty washout areas. Fun for the experienced, sketchy at best for beginners. :thumb:

gotta get experienced somewhere!!! I'm not sure if Cuberland will be part of it, I'm going to post it, we'll see how it develops.

glacierpaul
June 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Cumberland is fine in my book, but I have really only atv'ed it, have not taken the Rubicon up yet, maybe this will be my next run in the Rubicon, will post if I do it this weekend. Still may join you on the 9th...