PDA

View Full Version : Need to be schooled on CBs

Java
June 30th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I've never had a CB before but it's time, and I know squat about them, really anything is helpful... what do I look for in one? Antenna advice? are handhelds good? thanks!!

Andrew
June 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I have this guy and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00005N5WW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309489069&sr=8-1

I like it because you can hide all of the stuff and change everything with the handheld part. Unscrew and put it away so nobody really knows you have it.

You may need one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-AC-702-Microphone-Extension/dp/B0009EI9FK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309489121&sr=1-1

Get a firestik antenna, whatever size, make sure it's grounded good, have it tuned...not much to it. I use a spring-mount so it can flex when tree branches hit it.

Mporter
June 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I have a Cobra 18WXSTII and it's excellent (has the NOAA weather channels) and a 4' Firestik II antenna.

If you decide on one, let me know when you need to tune it, because I have a SWR meter and jumper cable.

Mesomelas
June 30th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I have one and have listened around a few times, but I haven't heard much going on around Boulder. There are easy articles on the internet that can teach you how to use one, that is the best I am going off of right now.

Heather
June 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Mine works

A little too well...it picks up all kinds of engine/whatever noise, too.

Mporter
June 30th, 2011, 09:35 PM
OK, apparently I need educated too. How do you tune it? Mine works, but if it could be made better thast would be great!

http://firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

That site right there (straight from Firestik) has a wealth of knowledge about CB tuning. Too bad Randy (WINKY) isn't still on the forum. He helped me tune mine and knows a lot about em.

Mesomelas
June 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Try channel 19, that is where most of the action goes on. I think I am too far away from the freeway though, all I get is muffled voices and static. And occasionally a dixie horn. LOL

Chris
June 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I have the same one as Andrew and really like it. I prefer the whip type antenna myself which I switched to after numerous fiberglass versions. Stay away from magnetic, they just get knocked off too easily.

Mesomelas
June 30th, 2011, 09:55 PM
After reading Matt's link, I could probably stand to have my CB setup tuned again. Anyone here good with that sort of thing?

Brody
July 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
A little too well...it picks up all kinds of engine/whatever noise, too.

That is more from where it is powered up from than anything else. Running a separate line for the CB off another power source will probably solve that problem. Possibly a better ground, too.

As far as tuning it up goes, there is a CB thread in the Tech section I believe that mentions quite a few folks that do this. I know that the big truck stop off of I70 and Ward Road has a guy that does this, but also that people mentioned folks who were quite a bit cheaper than he is.

Might be in this one:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?6813-CB-s&daysprune=-1

Java
July 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
I found what I think is the cheapest set up available, under $50.00 with lots of good reviews on Amazon:

Roadpro 12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads 3.79

Midland 1001Z 40-Channel CB Radio 28.98

Midland 18-2442 Mobile CB Antenna 15.16

Total: $47.93, all qualify for free super saver shipping.

I do go out alone quite a bit, so it's a good idea to have one, but they sure get expensive quickly. If these suck I can send them back.

Mporter
July 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
I do go out alone quite a bit, so it's a good idea to have one

You may check out HAM Radios too....much more reliable with greater range than CB's. But you do have to spend more coin and take a test.

sunk
July 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Most Firestick antennas have an adjustable load on the top of the antenna that you can tune by simply screwing it in or out. You need a watt meter to see what you are doing. If anyone needs help, they are welcome to stop by my house and I will tune their CB. Also, if you are picking up engine noise, you most likely are wired to a noisey circuit or bad ground. Depending on your radio and power source, you may need an in line power filter.

4wdhunter
July 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I have the same one as Andrew as well. I like it because you can unhook it and take it with you or lock it up in a console/glovebox. Which I find is important in an open top/soft top vehicle.

Handheld CB's suck. Bought a nice Cobra one ($125) a few years back and couldn't get reception with it much farther than 20 feet.

Brad
July 7th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I have also noticed the small antenna's that some guys (Aaron and Jason) use in the back of their Jeep make it VERY hard to hear them. Reception from their transmissions sucks.

I spent about $30 on my CB and $80 on my antenna just to make sure I could hear and be heard. Have a 5 foot firestick with spring mount on the bumper. I have the quick disconnect
so when I am in a sketchy area I can just pop it off and toss it in back. :thumb:

Java
July 7th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I probably will have to upgrade at some point, but I'm simultaneously paying off a stack of vet bills and in the middle of remodeling 3 closets plus a window to door conversion here at Stately Wayne Manor, so money is tight. I cheaped out on the CB for sure, but it is so low on my priority list that it's lucky it got bought at all. It was almost Thai food. The name Firestick keeps coming up, I will keep that in mind.

Java
August 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I found what I think is the cheapest set up available, under $50.00 with lots of good reviews on Amazon:

Roadpro 12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads 3.79

Midland 1001Z 40-Channel CB Radio 28.98

Midland 18-2442 Mobile CB Antenna 15.16

Total: $47.93, all qualify for free super saver shipping.

I do go out alone quite a bit, so it's a good idea to have one, but they sure get expensive quickly. If these suck I can send them back.

Not sure if the prices are still accurate, but I just got to use it this past weekend at T-33A and it was great, I could hear perfectly and everyone could hear me. I'd recommend all of it.

Beefy
August 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Not sure if the prices are still accurate, but I just got to use it this past weekend at T-33A and it was great, I could hear perfectly and everyone could hear me. I'd recommend all of it.

I can attest to that. You were coming in loud and clear. :)

Hotchef181818
August 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
From the research I did, when u tune the radio to receive farther you can get a ton of noise using a cig lighter for power. I wired mine direct to the battery with an inline fuse.

Java
August 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
From the research I did, when u tune the radio to receive farther you can get a ton of noise using a cig lighter for power. I wired mine direct to the battery with an inline fuse.

My Jeep has a cig. lighter and next to it a similar outlet with a cover over it labeled POWER OUTLET. I use that one and so far no noise.