PDA

View Full Version : Pulling off a bumper - stuck.

Jackie
July 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
We're trying to pull the stock bumper off the Jeep today, but the 4 bolts that need to come off. won't budge. I thought of PB Blaster, but they are not rusty or anything - just too tight to budge. Can anyone advise?

Hypoid
July 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
In this order:
1) PB-blaster.
2) Hit the head of the bolt with a hammer, just like you were trying to drive a nail.
3) Get a wrench with a longer handle.

It does not have to be rusted to use PB-Blaster. Those fasteners are put on with some force (torque) to keep them from falling off. If they break, oh well!

Metalhed
July 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
BFH
BIG F Hammer

Jackie
July 2nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Bumper is now OFF.:2thumbup: We had to cut through the plastic crap and tear it off just so Britton could get access to the bolts. (Sorry Gary - I know you were interested in purchasing the bumper, but all the plastic is destroyed). Was fun, in a way! Thanks for the advice guys. The PBB and BFH did the trick once we could see them. Tomorrow, maybe we'll get the new one installed.

Stephen
July 2nd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Bumper is now OFF.:2thumbup: We had to cut through the plastic crap and tear it off just so Britton could get access to the bolts. (Sorry Gary - I know you were interested in purchasing the bumper, but all the plastic is destroyed)...

Does someone need a free JK bumper cover? Cuz I'm throwing one in the trash this week, been taking up space for a few years.

Brody
July 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
BFH
BIG F Hammer

I always laugh about the fact that you can pretty much work on regular vehicles all day long and never ever even think about getting a hammer out. Things change when you work on 4xs and one of the first things that comes out, or that anyone suggests using, is always a BFH....and sometimes more than one. They usually end up getting bigger as the job progresses....

Good to hear that you are getting into the 'swing of things', so to speak...

Jackie
July 3rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Good to hear that you are getting into the 'swing of things', so to speak...
The "swing of things" came to an abrupt halt yesterday afternoon. Britton's Dad was brought into the hospital and is currently in ICU. I drove Britton to the airport this morning and me and the kids may have to drive up to MN in the next few days. Waiting to see what happens here in the next couple days.

The Jeep is sitting naked in the garage for now...

Aaron
July 3rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
No Bueno. Praying for him.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Brody
July 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Wow...sorry to hear that! Both our thoughts are with you and Britton and that his dad is OK.

Chris
July 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Good thoughts from our family to yours Jackie.

Rob
July 3rd, 2011, 03:20 PM
So sorry to hear that, Jackie. Hoping everything works out.

Jackie
July 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Nope. it doesn't sound like it is going to end well. There is bleeding in his stomach and he can't breath well enough to speak. They keep giving him the DNR speech which is pissing off my mother-in-law. Britton was allowed in to see him about 10 minutes ago. Waiting to hear back. I don't know what to do at this point, but I'm going to pack our clothes tonight...

Thanks for the good wishes and prayers though...

jdawg33
July 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Sorrry Jackie. Hope things improve soon.

RockyMtnHigh
July 3rd, 2011, 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear, also hoping to hear things improve!

Heather
July 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Oh, no. So sorry to hear. I hope that he gets better, and soon. Thinking of you guys.