PDA

View Full Version : half moon creek?

Zukrider
July 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
who has been there? im looking for a little input.

mainly, aside from the water, based on rock/trail only, can/has a open/open rig made it?
i know its a bit of a loaded question. i have lots of wheeling under the belt, 85% of which is double open. but, its mostly samurai. i want to take my montero, and was just curious if say, a 99 4runner with open diffs and 33's does ok?

thanx for any input! trail looks fun, and i want to get the monty in 4low finally! i realize the water levels are high, and will be for a while, but i wouldnt hesitate to go into the top of my 33's.

joe

Rob
July 2nd, 2011, 11:10 PM
I haven't done it, but it looks like fun. There's a photo on TD of what looks like a stock Grand Cherokee with street tires doing it. I'd take my open FJ40 with 31's on it.

Zukrider
July 2nd, 2011, 11:26 PM
right on! what is TD?

Rob
July 2nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Sorry. Traildamage.com.

Zukrider
July 2nd, 2011, 11:34 PM
OK. thats actually where i found the trail, been researching ever since. it looks like a great addition to make a loop of HMC, mosquito, and wheeler lake!

and i have really been jones'n to do some water crossings! might make it a trip for september!

ColoRaider
July 3rd, 2011, 01:08 AM
Ive been thinking of doing some camping up in that area... Halfmoon and Elbert creek campgrounds are supposed to be pretty nice....

Brody
July 3rd, 2011, 06:14 AM
i have really been jones'n to do some water crossings! might make it a trip for september!

There should be a Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats run coming up very soon and both those trails will appease your need for water crossings. MSV is supposed to open in another week or so, as soon as the snow melts. Beautiful trails if you haven't run them before.

Zukrider
July 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
thanx for the tip. ive seen them. unfortunately i didnt get to run them though!

Mesomelas
July 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Jenny Creek will give you all you want and then some as far as water crossings go.

Rob
July 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Jenny Creek will give you all you want and then some as far as water crossings go.

That's true, as parts of the trail are actually in the creek. It's a short trail, though, so it's good to pair it with another trail to make a day of it.

Brody
July 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Looking at the movies on TrailDamage, it looks like a lot of fun and pretty straight forward. What I did notice was that there were no movies of the Water Crossing number 4 which was supposed to be the longest and deepest. It did say that a "stock vehicle may have problems on ?? exit on one of the water crossings due to the rocks at the exit", but otherwise didn't say anything about needing lockers, etc. September would put the water table pretty low, too.

I also noticed that the rigs in the movies had a tow strap attached and ready to go....and that there was a Subaru Forrester or something in one of the pictures, but no shots of it on the trails.

I would set a date and post it up. I doubt that many people, including me, have actually run the trail and it may make for a really fun trip.