PDA

View Full Version : Spring Creek trip with a mid day start on 7/5?

Haku
July 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hey guys,

I know some of you will be working, but some won't and might want to get out on a trail.

Hotchef and I have been thinking about doing a trip to Spring Creek tomorrow, with a late start. Loren works as a Chef (hence his name) so he gets out of work late and wants to get a bit of sleep before going wheeling. I was thinking as long as we get onto the trail by 1pm at the latest that we would still be off the trail well before dark as long as we didn't dawdle and such.

Anyone else interested? I was thinking meet around Noon at the Starbucks at Downieville and then head up a bit later. This trail is above average on the difficulty scale, and can be rather taxing on rigs. I've seen broken steering, driveshafts, u-joints and such, but at the same time its all about how you drive and what line you take. While there are bypasses around the bigger obstacles and an easier line through the Rock Garden, its still a fairly serious trail. I've seen XJ's with a mild lift and 31's get through it just fine, but I've also seen built rigs get broken. I do think people see it as scarier then it is, but I will admit it needs a certain amount of respect and restraint with the skinny pedal sometimes.

Its about a 45 minute drive or so from Denver/Golden, so its a nice close run for Denver Metro people.

Hotchef181818
July 4th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I'm in. 54 hrs in 4 days at about 110 degrees and 90% humidity in the kitchen for the cherry creek arts festival. I need some sleep and time to load up but noon is perfect, maybe even 11 if that's easier for anyone else coming.

jdawg33
July 5th, 2011, 08:04 AM
If I can get the u joint fixed in time I might be up for it...