PDA

View Full Version : Moab- Fins n' Things, Friday September 30

Java
July 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I have to plan my time off a bit in advance, I know this is a ways out, but on or about 9/30, for sure the last week of September I'll be in Grand Mesa and Moab, totally want to run fins n things. Also Gemini Bridges / Bull Canyon / Tusher Tunnel looks like a fun run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8wF7K9aUNw

Rob
July 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Fins is a blast. Took a minute to realize the guy speeded up the vid and wasn't trying to set a land speed record. :eek:

Java
July 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM
We might be interested. We would like to camp and jeep and explore. We have wanted to do a 2 day route on White Rim, get permits and camp sites. Would you be interested?

That sounds like a great time, and with that killer trailer I can see why you'd want to!! but I've found that a shower in Moab is worth the price of a condo all by itself. I'll probably be camping in the Grand Mesa area (never been there, still figuring out what to do / where) a couple of days before going to Moab so I'll be pre-stinky anyway, you wouldn't want me along. :lmao:

Super pet-friendly accomodations: http://www.kokopellilodge.com/

they are great for dogs, you can leave your dog in the room if you want. Moab lodging is not fancy by any means, but we've found these guys to be CLEAN. If you find yourself in Moab that week I'd love to hook up for a trail!!

Jackie
July 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Great Vid! But it it doesn't due justice to just how steep those hills are. I don't think you can really "show" that. You have to see it to believe it (at least that's the way I feel about them)!

Mr6dwg
July 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM
10-4 and Amen Jackie!

Pathrat
July 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Great Vid! But it it doesn't due justice to just how steep those hills are. I don't think you can really "show" that. You have to see it to believe it (at least that's the way I feel about them)!

Yes, they are steep!
I will keep this date in mind, thanks for posting up.

Jackie
July 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
The first pic helps a bit to realize how close you feel to standing on your nose. The second pick shows that the experience may not last that long. The reality is... When you get out of your rig and look at your different options from the top, your first question might be "WTF"??? Then, if you're like me and are unable to walk down, but rather have to go down on your butt to have another look... you really to start to think...

If I'm not mistaken, Stephanie, you chose the option I would have picked had I been driving. My husband chose the one to the far left of the 3 options at that point of the trail (while me and the kiddo went down on our butts).

Another lady friend of mine gave me this advise: "Just hold on tight to the wheel and DO NOT turn it. Stand up with all your weight on the brake pedal and enjoy the ride". Yikes!

Pathrat
July 7th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Jackie, your friend was right. That is what I did. I just let off in taps to ease down. It does look a bit scarier from the driver's seat and from the top. When I saw this part of the trail I asked out loud, "is this the trail? really?" Fun stuff :smokin:

Java
July 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
It does look crazy steep, and just the right amount of scary. Cool pics, I like the Firestone Muds on the FJ; and thanks for passing along the tip for how to drive down that hill! :steer:

4wdhunter
July 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I may be in Moab around that time. Will know more as it gets closer.

Java
July 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I may be in Moab around that time. Will know more as it gets closer.

Cool!! :2thumbup:

Pathrat
July 8th, 2011, 11:46 PM
It does look crazy steep, and just the right amount of scary. Cool pics, I like the Firestone Muds on the FJ; and thanks for passing along the tip for how to drive down that hill! :steer:

I liked them too, for a while, but not in the winter. I did have a problem with chunking off entire lugs. Both factors led to a switch in tires for the fJ.

GaryG
July 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Took a minute to realize the guy speeded up the vid and wasn't trying to set a land speed record
It wasn't speeded up Rob, things just seem to happen faster as we age...:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Rob
July 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM
things just seem to happen faster as we age...

:lmao: Not to mention the things that get slower.

Chris
July 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I ran F&T with Rob and don't let him fool you, he's a speedster on the trails! :D

Rob
July 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I ran F&T with Rob and don't let him fool you, he's a speedster on the trails! :D

:lmao: I don't recall going all that fast. Come to think of it though, I might have been trying to get back to Longmont for dinner that night. :D

Heather
July 12th, 2011, 10:16 PM
That looks AMAZING.