PDA

View Full Version : MSV and Coney Flats July 16th

Stephen
July 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
So, my daughter is visiting from NY this week and I want to take her camping Friday, July 15th and she returns home that Sunday. We'd like to run the trails on Saturday. We like to camp way down the trail by the river.

Anyone interested in meeting up at the trail head around 10am? That would give people time to meet up at other locations at the usual 9am.

http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=185271

Beefy
July 9th, 2011, 05:42 PM
So, my daughter is visiting from NY this week and I want to take her camping Friday, July 15th and she returns home that Sunday. We'd like to run the trails on Saturday. We like to camp way down the trail by the river.

Anyone interested in meeting up at the trail head around 10am? That would give people time to meet up at other locations at the usual 9am.

http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=185271

Those look like really fun trails. I'm not sure about those being the first two trails in a Jeep that's brand new to me. Any thoughts on that? I'd hate to have to learn how to use my winch as I'm floating down the canyon. :lmao:

Brody
July 9th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Those look like really fun trails. I'm not sure about those being the first two trails in a Jeep that's brand new to me. Any thoughts on that? I'd hate to have to learn how to use my winch as I'm floating down the canyon.

They are and you shouldn't be too concerned about running them in a new to you Jeep or a relatively stock one. Check out last year's trail reports of MSV and Coney and you can see the number of basically stock rigs we had on it. There are going to be three "trouble" spots in a stock rig, all of which you can get through easily enough with a decent spotter. There is a rocky section on the first 1/2 of MSV that may or may not have an easier bypass on the right side. Then when you head up Coney on the first hill, there is a short obstacle about 1/2 way up the hill that varies in difficulty yearly. In other words, sometimes it seems like there is an obstacle there, other times not. Then at the very top of Coney, just before the hill ends and before the lake, there is a bit of an uphill rock garden. This is probably the trickiest section, but again totally passable with a stock rig and careful driving.

If you are in doubt on the large water crossing, do like experienced people due with avalanche slopes: they wait for someone else to cross them first. Wait until someone comes up with a Jeep set up similar to yours, watch them cross it and, if they don't have any issues, cross it yourself.

Last year or the year before, we had Brian with a yellow Jeep with us on this run with a basically stock Jeep and his 2nd or 3rd time off road. He did fine and the combo of trails put a huge smile on his face!..Like I said, look in the trail reports for this trail for either last year or the year before about the same time and you will see.

We are going to do our best to make this run as we always have fun on these trails.

Beefy
July 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Those look like really fun trails. I'm not sure about those being the first two trails in a Jeep that's brand new to me. Any thoughts on that? I'd hate to have to learn how to use my winch as I'm floating down the canyon.

They are and you shouldn't be too concerned about running them in a new to you Jeep or a relatively stock one. Check out last year's trail reports of MSV and Coney and you can see the number of basically stock rigs we had on it. There are going to be three "trouble" spots in a stock rig, all of which you can get through easily enough with a decent spotter. There is a rocky section on the first 1/2 of MSV that may or may not have an easier bypass on the right side. Then when you head up Coney on the first hill, there is a short obstacle about 1/2 way up the hill that varies in difficulty yearly. In other words, sometimes it seems like there is an obstacle there, other times not. Then at the very top of Coney, just before the hill ends and before the lake, there is a bit of an uphill rock garden. This is probably the trickiest section, but again totally passable with a stock rig and careful driving.

If you are in doubt on the large water crossing, do like experienced people due with avalanche slopes: they wait for someone else to cross them first. Wait until someone comes up with a Jeep set up similar to yours, watch them cross it and, if they don't have any issues, cross it yourself.

Last year or the year before, we had Brian with a yellow Jeep with us on this run with a basically stock Jeep and his 2nd or 3rd time off road. He did fine and the combo of trails put a huge smile on his face!..Like I said, look in the trail reports for this trail for either last year or the year before about the same time and you will see.

We are going to do our best to make this run as we always have fun on these trails.

Wow, thanks!! That really helps me out a lot. This rig is far from stock (which I think you saw in the other thread). I read the write-up and looked at the pictures for both of these trails on TrailDamage and I saw some pretty stock rigs on there as well (except for in the "lake"). I will look at the trail reports that are here as well. Thanks again! :)

Stephen
July 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
You'll have no problem. I took mine out mid-bumper build when it was a few months old. I might have had a budget boost, 2.5 lift...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/dubstyl/bumper038.jpg

Last year, same lift, bigger tires...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/dubstyl/74245_1671252069946_1496725309_1689663_1511049_n.j pg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/dubstyl/40124_1671256510057_1496725309_1689697_3014689_n.j pg

Definitely fun trails.

Rob
July 9th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Count me in.

Mr6dwg
July 9th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I just got back today from Twin Cone. It was a fun day. I sure would like to go with you guys. It was a long day for my wife and she might not be too thrilled about bouncing over more rocks AGAIN, but I will see.

Aaron
July 10th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I did msv /Coney when my Rubi was stock. Just a matter watching other folk like Pete said.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Jackie
July 10th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I ran MSV (not Coney) in my stock Rubicon and just needed some spotting around the huge rock that you'll find in the middle of the trail. At the top, we found a huge mud hole with a pick-up truck stuck nose-deep in the hole. Since he was last in line with his group, our group had to pull him backwards before anyone could move on, and it was tricky not to slip into the hole. (That hole has since been fixed, I think by the Longmont group).

Our group of 4 split at the top and two went on to do Coney while me and another guy returned back down MSV. The challenges were very different going the reverse direction, but very doable and fun!

If you follow a rig that is similar to yours, ask questions when in doubt, and ask for spotting from someone you trust, you will be fine. Noone in this group minds spotting you even on what they might consider to be easy. It's the only way you learn (without carnage).

Brody
July 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Speaking of Coney and spotting-

LaDawn and I were supposed to meet up with another group years ago to run these trails. The other group never showed (of course) even though it was on their calendar and was a scheduled run. we said screw it and headed up (no big deal, not too far from a paved road and we had done the trails a couple of times before). At the rock section at the top of Coney, we both had our heads stuck out and were watching the front tries (it was a bit more than what it is now) and cratered right into a big (BIG) tree. we both got our bells rung and a good laugh, then immediately did the same damn thing again, complete with bells getting rung.

It is still good for a laugh, but probably says more than we like about our combined metal attributes...

Jackie
July 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Soooo.... you two need someone to spot where you're placing your heads??? :confused::D:):lmao:

Robert B
July 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM
well jackie they might misplace them if you dont spot them yourself :)

GaryG
July 10th, 2011, 10:31 PM
So, is someone going to post this up as a run?

Java
July 10th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I was thinking of running West Magnolia this weekend, but I'd bump it to do this one

Brody
July 11th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Let someone know and one of the mods can change the West Magnolia run for you.

I think that we are in on this one, too!