July 10th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Where : Middle St Vrain and Coney Flats

When : Saturday July 16th, 2011

Trail head : 10am

CB channel 4

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18

Stephen
July 10th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I put 10am at trail head in case people wanted to meet up earlier in Lyons or some place else. There is a decent sized parking lot at the trail head to meet up and air down. If all goes as planned my family is going to camp on the trail Friday night, there are tons of spots along the river with fire pits. :thumb:

:camping:

Mr6dwg
July 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I would not want to miss this trip. I will see if I can go.

Beefy
July 11th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I put in as a maybe for now. I REALLY want to go. Just got the Jeep home (new to me). Need to get a bunch of stuff done this week after work. If I can make it, I will definitely be there. :)

Coonburger
July 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
whats the snow situation suppose to be like?

Brody
July 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
My guess is that there are going to be troughs through any snow, it there is any at all. There may be some residual snow father up the trail on the sides, but I would imagine that there are going to be long stretches of mud and water more than any snow.

There should be some posts showing up on Colo4x4.com in their trail reports as I would think that some of those folks have already run the trail.

Stephen
July 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM
http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=185271

Looks like it's good. :thumb:

Aaron
July 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I wanna go :-(

Brody
July 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Look at the meeting place in the top of this post, which is the trailhead at 10. If you want to meet in Boulder or Lyons, there are certainly enough people going who aren't camping to add that to the post.

Some feedback would be good on this and either Rob, Jock or I can add it. It is roughly 60 minutes to the Camp Dick turnoff from Boulder, whether you go via Nederland /Boulder Canyon or Lyons/South St Vrain, so meeting at either of these two locations would mean leaving the lot at 9:00 and meeting at 8:45.

LaDawn may want to run part of the trail with you Heather if you get to the point where you want to clock Chris. He can ride with me the other part...:D

Stephen
July 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
My neighbors are always offering me their big ol' RV since I'm always willing to weld something or whatever... I thought that would make a good base camp for making lunch or whatever Saturday, but Camp Dick is full! I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere. Oh well, looks like I'm pitching a tent... at Camp Dick... can't think of any jokes there. :D

mumbai
July 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM
For those coming through Boulder we could probably meet at the Starbucks on Arapahoe and 30th (as mentioned in Traildamage..)

Rob
July 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Some feedback would be good on this and either Rob, Jock or I can add it. It is roughly 60 minutes to the Camp Dick turnoff from Boulder, whether you go via Nederland /Boulder Canyon or Lyons/South St Vrain, so meeting at either of these two locations would mean leaving the lot at 9:00 and meeting at 8:45.

The distances are different, but it takes about the same amount of time to get from Boulder to the trailhead whether you go through Lyons, up Left Hand Canyon Drive or Boulder Canyon. I like sticking with the Diamond Shamrock meeting place in Lyons. Most of us know where that is.

mumbai
July 12th, 2011, 08:58 PM
The distances are different, but it takes about the same amount of time to get from Boulder to the trailhead whether you go through Lyons, up Left Hand Canyon Drive or Boulder Canyon. I like sticking with the Diamond Shamrock meeting place in Lyons. Most of us know where that is.

So at the gas station at 9ish??

Rob
July 12th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Sounds good. Anyone who doesn't want to meet at the trailhead is welcome to meet at the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons at 9 a.m. It takes only about 40-45 minutes to get to the trail from there. I'll be there.

GaryG
July 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I'll go direct to the trailhead, up coal creek, I like to avoid Boulder just out of principle. Mumbai, if its easier for you, meet me at the Starbucks SE corner of Kipling n Belleview in Littleton, I'll be leaving there 8am sharp

mumbai
July 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Mumbai, if its easier for you, meet me at the Starbucks SE corner of Kipling n Belleview in Littleton, I'll be leaving there 8am sharp

Its way off for me.. I'll probably take I-25 through Lyons.. See you there...

Brody
July 13th, 2011, 06:25 AM
We will be at Lyons, too, for the same reason: we generally avoid Boulder out of principle.

See you in Lyons. It is actually a little quicker that way anyway. Heather, Chris and I are going to caravan up as they live just up the road from us and we will go Wadsworth to Boulder Turnpike.

jdawg33
July 13th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Count me in for Lyons... I'll meet you guys at the Diamond Shamrock at 9am!

RubrSideDwn
July 13th, 2011, 01:01 PM
We will be there! But I think we are going to go up to the trail head...
Really looking forward to wheeling with all of you!

Zukrider
July 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
so ill be at the diamond at 9am!

Beefy
July 13th, 2011, 09:32 PM
i just changed my RSVP to yes. This is going to be quite the group! I should be at the Diamond Shamrock at 9 to meet with the others.

I need to meet some of the people who have offered to help me out with the emissions trouble I'm having and nobody here has even met me yet! I can't wait. My first Colorado trails in my new to me rig! No laughing at me. :p :redface:

I will have at least one and probably two passengers along for the ride.

Rob
July 13th, 2011, 09:36 PM
My first Colorado trails in my new to me rig! No laughing at me.

Never! We might laugh with you, but never at you. :thumb:

Beefy
July 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Never! We might laugh with you, but never at you. :thumb:

That's comforting!! :lmao:

Brody
July 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Never! We might laugh with you, but never at you.

HA....wait until we get to know you! Rob has laughed 'with me' more than once when I wasn't laughing. I think he got that from LaDawn....

Colin
July 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Ill be at the diamond shamrock at 9 too!

RubrSideDwn
July 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Anyone in the Longmont ,Boulder or Lyons area want to stop for a hearty breakfast before the run?

Just a thought...

Brody
July 14th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Love to, but we have $$ for gas only...

Sapient
July 15th, 2011, 05:38 AM
opinions on weather this is suitable for stock? I ran Yankee Hill pretty flawlessly if that is any comparison.. MSV looks doable but Coney is questionable to me.. especially the river at the end.

Brody
July 15th, 2011, 05:45 AM
There have been a few people concerned with running a stock rig on this run. I have run this trail a lot of times, both with and without FR folks, and every time I was in a group, the stock rigs far out numbered the modified ones.

There are two-three harder spots for stock rigs:

-a rock obstacle part way in the MSV trail, that usually has an easier bypass to the right side, a sometimes obstacle on the hill where Coney starts and a rock garden on the last part of Coney before the lake. Out of them all, the rock garden is going to take the most careful driving, but we have a bunch of good spotters.

Watch the trail videos from either out trail reports or on traildamage.com and you will see o lot of basic stock rigs sail through the lake with ease....

Brody
July 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Oh....and for the the people like me who persist in thinking that the sun is going to shine all day, conveniently ignoring the torrential monsoons that should, at the very least, give a mild hint that it probably isn't, and are going to run without either doors or tops, you may well consider bringing some rain gear...:D

Beefy
July 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I may need to borrow someone's deflator/s tomorrow if that's okay or it might just take me a while to air down. :redface: I tried to make it to 4 Wheel Parts after work yesterday, but traffic prevented that from happening before they closed. Oh well, I'm just excited to meet some people, hit the trails and embarass myself! :D

Brody
July 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I usually have a couple of different versions with us in my tire junk.

Stephen
July 15th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I also have an extra set of deflators and can grab an extra tire pressure gauge.

I'm heading up to Camp Dick in a few minutes, so I may have no internets, see everyone in the morning.

Max
July 15th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I'm in! I'll be driving solo and coming from Boulder. See you guys tomorrow morning in Lyons!

RubrSideDwn
July 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
16 rigs....? WOW!

Would it be prudent to break everyone up into two groups... or run all the trucks at once?

mattzj98
July 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Lyons at 9. Might bring friends

Errinjan
July 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM
We meet you all at the Trailhead, we'll coming up 119 to 72 from central city area

Sapient
July 15th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Anyone who is doing Peru Creek on Sunday and this trip feel like camping out Sat night?

Brody
July 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM
16 rigs....? WOW!

Would it be prudent to break everyone up into two groups... or run all the trucks at once?

We usually do this on runs with a lot of rigs. We recently did this on the Twin Cone run where we had about the same number of rigs, breaking them down into two groups and leaving 10 minutes or so apart. This works well not only for us, but for any other rigs or groups coming or going on the same trail.

These trails lend themselves to doing this too, as there is a really nice lunch/break spot where MSV dead ends at a hiking trail just after the turn off to Coney Flats. We usually take a break here, so it will be a good place to re group. The next big area is the large area on both sides of the 'lake' where there is a huge amount of space on both sides of the 'lake'

Thanks for bringing this up as it is certainly something that we will need to get sort out prior to heading up the trail.

HAHA...I like the 'prudent' part. I don't think that word has ever appeared on this forum for any reason. I couldn't tell you what that says about the folks on the forum or the forum itself and, quite frankly, don't even want to go there....:lmao:

Rob
July 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
16 rigs....? WOW!

Uh, it's now 18. Three groups? Or anyone for T33-A just around the corner?

Rob
July 15th, 2011, 10:04 PM
For organization purposes, here's where everyone's meeting (I'm only mildly AR:):

Diamond Shamrock at 9 a.m.
• Beefy
• Brody
• DrOldUnit
• Hatz_33
• Heather and Chris
• jdawg33
• LeJerk
• mattzj98
• mumbai
• Zukrider, maybe et al.
• Sapient

Trailhead:
• Stephen
• RubrSideDwn
• Mr6dwg
• Errinjan
• GaryG

Unknown (trailhead?)
• ColoJeeper
• Squshiee1

mattzj98
July 15th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hey, I'm not buying another fire extinguished just to be able to park there though... i still havent used the one i bought last time hehe. jk :smokin:

Sapient
July 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I will be at Diamond Shamrock @9.. Is this the one we are meeting @ 4206 Ute Highway, Longmont, CO? Estimated travel time of 1hr from SE Denver.. So I will leave at 8, wow thats early for me, lol.. Better stock up on my grape drank!

Rob
July 15th, 2011, 10:45 PM
That's the one. It has a Longmont address, but it's just east of Lyons on 66. It's on the left just after U.S. 36.

Rob
July 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Buy a bolt this time. Can't have enough bolts. :lmao:

mattzj98
July 16th, 2011, 12:25 AM
you know, i might go and get some bolts... and say "Btw, there's gonna be around 20 jeeps filling your parking lot in about 10 min.. just sayin" lol

Brody
July 16th, 2011, 04:49 AM
If we are doing 18 rigs, then 3 groups is a good idea. This is a popular trail.

Beefy
July 16th, 2011, 06:25 AM
you know, i might go and get some bolts... and say "Btw, there's gonna be around 20 jeeps filling your parking lot in about 10 min.. just sayin" lol

:lmao:

Don't most people get gas there anyways? At least that was my plan.

mattzj98
July 16th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Yeah, but we end up taking that hardware stores parking lot.. gas station owners are happy, hardware store, not so much lol

Beefy
July 16th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Yeah, but we end up taking that hardware stores parking lot.. gas station owners are happy, hardware store, not so much lol

Oh yea, I forgot that was even there! Ah well, they'll survive. :D

Sapient
July 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
If things look hairy for Coney anyone want to offer me a passenger seat ride along?.. (Could leave the Runner after MSV in the open area) . I guess this will only work if we come out the way we went in. I'm stoked for this trip and would love to do it all but after much review it looks like Coney may require more clearance and flex then I am capable of atm. So... if not we will truly see what the rig is capable of "crosses fingers". Arghh, wish I had wheels and a lift already! I did just move to CO so don't make fun I haven't really had the $$ to invest yet.. Looking forward to an awesome day however things work out!!

mattzj98
July 16th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Sure, you can ride with me. I built a soccer moms jeep for a reason =) lots of room!

Heather
July 16th, 2011, 07:01 AM
We might be a few minutes late getting to Lyons...if Jeremy doesn't see this/my email....he's meeting us and I'm a moron and told him to meet us at the park n ride at "36 and Wadsworth" - like he's lived here forever! I meant US36, the highway...

otisdog
July 16th, 2011, 07:02 AM
If things look hairy for Coney anyone want to offer me a passenger seat ride along?.. (Could leave the Runner after MSV in the open area) . I guess this will only work if we come out the way we went in. I'm stoked for this trip and would love to do it all but after much review it looks like Coney may require more clearance and flex then I am capable of atm. So... if not we will truly see what the rig is capable of "crosses fingers". Arghh, wish I had wheels and a lift already! I did just move to CO so don't make fun I haven't really had the $$ to invest yet.. Looking forward to an awesome day however things work out!!

I'll bet you can make it up there with some good spotting. Might need a strap here and there.
Jim

Sapient
July 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Heather.. got the email. Thanks for the clarification ;) Meet there @8?
Matt, I may take you up on that offer, thanks!

Heather
July 16th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Heather.. got the email. Thanks for the clarification Meet there @8?

Just sent you another one, with an actual address. A hair after 8, but yeah! Woot! :2thumbup:

mattzj98
July 16th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Well, I'm heading out. See you all there!:woot:

Rob
July 16th, 2011, 07:42 AM
If things look hairy for Coney anyone want to offer me a passenger seat ride along?.. (Could leave the Runner after MSV in the open area) . I guess this will only work if we come out the way we went in.

We don't. We'll come out at the end of Coney Flats. If you leave your rig at the end of MSV, you'd essentially be leaving it in the middle of the trail.