PDA

View Full Version : KC lights wiring help...

mumbai
July 22nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
The wiring is pretty straightforward, but the wiring diagram shows a 3A fuse between the switch supply terminal going to the battery..
I figure the fuse is the small blue plastic thing that came with the kit, but I have not used a fuse of this kind before and need some guidance on how it is wired.

Here is a link to the wiring diagram: http://www.kchilites.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/6315-web.pdf

Also what is a good place to ground the brown wire??

If somebody who has it installed can post up some pics, that would be really helpful.

Thanks..

Robert B
July 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
if ur thalking about the little blue thing in that pic there its just a wire splicer......... there is either a fuse inline or you would do good to buy one or run it through an extra spot in ur fuse block if you have one and ground would be anything of decently heavy metal (Frame of truck is Really good) and since this system has 2 fuses i would have to actually lay it out in person or i would just confuse my self in trying to help you more :)

GaryG
July 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
The small blue item your referring to is a tap, allows you to easily hook your white wire from the switch to a switched 12v source. There really isn't a good one under the dash on a JK though. The brown wire from the switch can go to the ground just above your left foot, there's actually a couple of them there. The best place to tap a switched 12v feed for the switch is in the fuse box under the hood. The heated seat spot is what most people use. Here's a picture of where I tapped mine (red wire coming in from the bottom). I actually ran this power line to an auxiliary fuse box so that I could run a number of items off the same feed. If you hook direct from this, install a 3a inline fuse so that it is fused. Hope this helps.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6wO40aatLok/Tin1sM3_FGI/AAAAAAAAA-w/woy7y1bgkko/2011-07-22%25252016.10.15.jpg

GaryG
July 22nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
If you're just going to hook up lights and nothing else, you could tap into the switched lead on the cigarette lighter. The above method is just more versatile.

sunk
July 25th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Be careful tapping onto esisting wires, they are designed to run the equipment they are hooked up to only. Garys tap would be the best option for your ignition circuit. And remember that the black wire in the harness needs to go to a ground as well. I wired up a bunch of KC lights for a friend and pretty much threw out the harness they provided. Let me know, you could always stop by my garage and I could help you.

mumbai
July 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I found out that the "yellow" wire has a in built fuse in it... I am not planning on splicing into anything, just running it directly to the battery. Maybe in future if i need more connections will set it up differently..

Thanks for the offer "sunk", I'll give you a shout if i run into problems..

Cheers...

Brody
July 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Just as an FYI...and coming from someone who really doesn't know dick about car electrical (but has done a fair amount...)...running a wire directly to the battery for power is fine. Not ideal, but will certainly work . Be sure to add the relay( or buy and add one) between the switch and the lights so that there isn't too much draw. Relays are your friend...

mumbai
July 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Yes, I am using a relay that came with the kit.. By running it directly to the battery , I meant that I was not going to splice into any existing electrical wiring (didn't want to screw anything up which is already working)...This is all new to me and I am learning as I go.
Its interesting to work on the Jeep, you get to know your vehicle better.. This project would have been completed a few weeks back if not for the heat.. All my work has been done in the parking lot so far, I think its time to move into a garage...

jesse05lj
July 26th, 2011, 05:33 PM
It took me a minute to figure it all out when i installed mine