PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Nathrop aka Chalk on 8/3

Brad
July 25th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Doing some boondocking with the pop up and the fam. Kind of a last chance to camp this summer before Neil is back in school.
(who am I kidding, we will go during the school year too!) Just looking for any advice on the area as far as gotta see points of
interest or hikes that are cool. We are already looking at ST. Elmo, Tincup pass and the associated area right there. :thumb:

Chris
July 25th, 2011, 01:36 PM
There's a boatload of trails and stuff around there Brad, you'll have no trouble finding trails to run. Where do you plan to camp? I hope to test my popup this week if I can finally get the 3rd or 3 locks fixed before our run to Ouray and Dillon in a couple weeks.

Brad
July 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I am planning on finding dipersed camping up Chalk canyon. If not there are a couple of good campgrounds nearby that have first come first served sites. Being a Wed afternoon I anticipate some empty spots.

MelloYello
July 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Should be pretty there, take lots of pics to post up.

Chris
July 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I understand there's a lot around Mt Princeton too...

Brad
July 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Should be pretty there, take lots of pics to post up.

Planning on it! ;)

Because there are so many runs so close we are planning on hitting ALOT of trails.

Java
July 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I LOVE the Tincup trail / Mt. Princeton area! The Hot Springs are great, and if you're camping you can get just a shower pass for a few $$. Agnes Vaille Falls is a great super short and easy hike, the chalk Creek trailhead of the Colorado trail is right there that goes right into some incredible stuff, and on the Mirror Lake side of the Tincup trail is the Timberline Trail, which I've been meaning to do for a while, heard it's great. If you want to drive a little further west, renting a boat on Blue Mesa reservoir is incredible, it's a gigantic lake with lots to see.

a couple of pics from Agnes Vaille, and the fancy trailhead to Mt. Princeton, with Mt. Princeton in the background.

Funrover
July 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Tons of great trails up there. Camping will be no issue on a WED. The only problem with that area is that you never have enough time.

Dirt Claude
July 28th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Brad - How long you planning on staying up there? We've got the same plans as you, going to head-up this Friday and come back Sunday. We're going to try and hit St. Elmo, Hancock Pass, Mary Murphy Mine, Alpine Tunnel, and Pomeroy Lakes. I was considering Williams Pass as well, but it sounds like it doesn't open until August 1st, and I'm not sure if I want to try and tackle that by myself.

Brad
July 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
We are going to be there Wed. night through Sunday morning. Neil has Tennis on Sunday afternoon. I have been looking at some of the same trails. Where are you guys camping?

Dirt Claude
July 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I haven't done alot of camping/exploring in that area before, so I bugged Aaron (Funrover) for some recommendations on boondocking with the pop-up. Since we won't be rolling into BV until late Friday afternoon, most of the stuff up Chalk Canyon might be taken already. I think we are going to check out CO RD 311 and the surrounding vicinity. That's the first right hand turn after HWY 285 & 24 merge. I think you should be able to find some great closer in since you're heading up mid-week. You have any spots picked out yet?

Robert B
July 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM
you could always join me and brad :) i can have my CB on and cell phones might work up there

Brad
July 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I have nothing picked out yet. If you like we can try and find a spot big enough for both rigs. Robert is easy to plop anywhere. If we know roughly what time you might be in nathrop we can meet you in town.

Aaron
July 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Tincup / Cumberland / Hancock is a cool loop that starts and ends at St Elmo. We did it last year and it was a blast!

Dirt Claude
July 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I have nothing picked out yet. If you like we can try and find a spot big enough for both rigs. Robert is easy to plop anywhere. If we know roughly what time you might be in nathrop we can meet you in town.
Hold on... I'm heading-up tomorrow, sounds like you guys aren't going up until Wednesday? Correct? I don't think our paths will cross on this trip.

Brad
July 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Yep. We are heading up next Wed. Have fun! Take some pics!

Dirt Claude
July 28th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I will, you do the same!

Brad
July 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I will if we get to go. I just found out my mother's Aunt died. I was not close to her, but may need to be there for my mom. I am on hold for now.

Dirt Claude
July 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry to hear of your family's loss Brad. Hopefully everything will work out for you guys.

Chris
July 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I haven't done alot of camping/exploring in that area before, so I bugged Aaron (Funrover) for some recommendations on boondocking with the pop-up. Since we won't be rolling into BV until late Friday afternoon, most of the stuff up Chalk Canyon might be taken already. I think we are going to check out CO RD 311 and the surrounding vicinity. That's the first right hand turn after HWY 285 & 24 merge. I think you should be able to find some great closer in since you're heading up mid-week. You have any spots picked out yet?

I haven't read this entire thread but we're packing up now to head to BV and since I also bugged Aaron will try to find something in that area. This is the maiden voyoage of our "new to us" popup and we have no idea how long (or short) we'll be gone.

Dirt Claude
July 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I haven't read this entire thread but we're packing up now to head to BV and since I also bugged Aaron will try to find something in that area. This is the maiden voyoage of our "new to us" popup and we have no idea how long (or short) we'll be gone.

Great Chris! Maybe we'll see ya down there.

glacierpaul
July 29th, 2011, 05:32 AM
we have no idea how long (or short) we'll be gone.
Those are the best kind of trips!!
I spent alot of summertime in Browns Campground as a kid, as my grandmother had a travel trailer there(now it is a sub-division). My first wheelin trip was up Mt. Princeton.

Chris
August 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM
We ended up staying 4 nights and could have stayed longer but for other stuff going on here. See Brad's BV post for some nice spots as I didn't see much along Chalk Creek that would be boondocking spots. If you have the clearance on the trailer I'd pick a spot after the beginning of Tin Cup by the stream. My trailer could easily make it after the axle flip, not sure about yours. We can't pass up Cottonwood Springs for a good hot soak after a few days!

Have fun Brad!

Dirt Claude
August 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
I didn't see much along Chalk Creek that would be boondocking spots
Agreed.... I didn't see many boondocking opportunities at all along 162. The only thing I do remember were 2-3 campgrounds between Nathrop and St. Elmo.

Brad
August 2nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the input! We are planning a couple contingency plans not only based on my mother being in town Wed and shortening our trip, but from your input as well. We may just do some scouting along the trails and start marking the maps on spots we find that we can reach. Both for when the camper is lifted and for regular spots.

Brody
August 3rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
I hope that you have a good trip! Sorry to hear about the death in the family.

Seems like an awful lot of people are dying this year for some reason...and that isn't a statement based on 'becoming more aware of my mortality cause I turned 59' either. I got all that mortality/dying **** sorted out by the time I was 16. About 60% of the people LaDawn and I know have had a death in the family this year.

Brad
August 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks Pete! I am probably going to be getting ahold of you about lifting the trailer pretty soon. I can hear us already "If the camper were lifted we could have made that spot"

Also we never talked about a articulating hitch. I have a line on the AT35 but would need it welded on. Unless you think you could build one for less than I am paying for one.

For those who do not know what I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNQ4CKoK7a8

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Seems like an awful lot of people are dying this year for some reason.

No intent to hijack. Pete, my next door neighbor whose gate you fixed died last week.

Rob
August 3rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
Seems like an awful lot of people are dying this year for some reason

No intent to hijack. Pete, my next door neighbor whose gate you fixed died last week.

And my wife's 95-year-old dad died Sunday.

Brody
August 4th, 2011, 04:42 AM
I have a line on the AT35 but would need it welded on. Unless you think you could build one for less than I am paying for one.

Best to pick it up and I will simply weld it on. Those are pretty nice!

And my wife's 95-year-old dad died Sunday.

Like I said...Sorry to hear about your wife's dad...and your neighbor, Chris..Last year certainly didn't seem to have so many deaths involving people or people's families we know.