PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's official now................

Warrlord
August 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
...........because they're going to enforce it now. It was always on the books, but................ Even if your vehicle is legally registered in Colorado, you'll need to purchase an OHV Permit just like unlicensed OHV's (ATV's, Dirt Bikes, etc.) have to do (except for them, it's called an OHV Registration) for $25.25 every year if you want to go wheeling on a "Designated Off Highway Vehicle Route".

Here's the info (http://staythetrail.org/news/?p=643)

Mporter
August 2nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
...awesome now I get to spend $50 a year on OHV stickers

Squshiee1
August 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
That is crazy! no one can have fun any more, paying for gas is enough for me!

Java
August 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
so where do I go to get fitted for my buttplug? can I get one online?

Warrlord
August 2nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I hear ya but I have mixed feelings about this right now................

I hate having to give out more money to the gubment, fed, state, city, county, etc, for a hobby of mine especially when my vehicle is already legally registered & insured. But, since it is legally registered for use on highways & roadways, the trails likely never see any of the money spent on that registration.

However, I also see another side of it. We all know that there are folks that go out wheeling that go off of the designated trail(s) and or litter it. Those folks will likely never purchase that permit & eventually, they might get ticketed for it. Even after that, they might never purchase the permit but they might (I use that word loosely) not go on very many trails anymore out of fear of being ticketed & fined again. Maybe, maybe not, but I'm trying to remain optimistic even though at times it may seem futile.

Pretty soon, we'll need to purchase a permit of some kind to go to the grocery store.

frisco31
August 2nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
I got my ticket in the Woodland Park. They were making the rounds in the parking lot looking for stickers. Is that the job of forrest service police? It seems that is what they do to justify thier jobs. More looking for stickers then cruising trails looking for people littering.

Also gave a hassle about a liscence plate from St Maarten. I had to turn it around or take it off. I got the whole run around, even a VIN check.

So I went down and got my sticker.

Warrlord
August 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
I got my ticket in the Woodland Park. They were making the rounds in the parking lot looking for stickers. Is that the job of forrest service police? It seems that is what they do to justify thier jobs. More looking for stickers then cruising trails looking for people littering.

Also gave a hassle about a liscence plate from St Maarten. I had to turn it around or take it off. I got the whole run around, even a VIN check.

So I went down and got my sticker.

Yeah, that seems like total BS to me. They should enforce it out on the trail, not in a parking lot.

I suppose I'll go get mine before the Halfmoon Creek run on the 20th (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?13639-Halfmoon-Creek-August-20th-2011) of this month. Come to think of it, it wouldn't hard for the Feds & other LE Agencies to check out boards like this one for upcoming trail runs & show up on the trail that day & issue citations. All of the trail info, people attending, meeting time, etc, is available for the public to see so if they're so inclined, they'll know right where people will be wheeling & how large of a group it'll be.

I reckon we all better go get that permit as I'm sure the fine associated with a citation would be way more than $25.25..............and that's more than likely what they're counting on.

frisco31
August 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
75 bucks

ColoRaider
August 2nd, 2011, 08:55 PM
Where can I purchase my permit permit. I want to make sure that I have the propper papers in order before I request my papers. where is Archibald Tuttle when you need him.

frisco31
August 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
I got mine at local motorcycle atv store. Bring your VIN.

Chris
August 2nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
http://parks.state.co.us/SiteCollectionImages/parks/Programs/Registrations/Agent%20Locations%20-%20OHV.pdf

96blkbeauty
August 2nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Brad
August 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
As long as the money goes towards trail projects I am fine with it. Does anyone know where to get one on the west side of town? RPM on wads maybe?

List was posted while I was typing.

frisco31
August 2nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
rpm or extreme

Mporter
August 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
RPM on wads maybe?

RPM or even GeForce (kawasaki dealer right around the corner on colfax)

Funrover
August 2nd, 2011, 09:50 PM
What a load of BS!!

Mesomelas
August 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
What's the money go to, someone's pet project account?

I won't purchase one, or pay any tickets I get.

Haku
August 2nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
While I'm not a huge fan of paying for to wheel and the potential for tickets, I think that these Permits aren't a bad way to go. They fund the COHVCO fund, which is one of the primary advocates towards keeping trails open and free. They work with the FS and BLM, and are the voice of OHV users in Colorado.

Check out their website for more information...
http://cohvco.org/

Also, the State Parks website explaining where the money goes...

http://www.parks.state.co.us/ohvsandsnowmobiles/OHVprogram/OHVregistrations/Pages/OHVRegistrations.aspx

All of this assumes that the funds actually go where they are supposed to and say on the websites. I read through the document that says where grant money was being distributed to, and 90% of it goes towards trail maintenance and development. There were a few that involved Conservation stuff, which I have found can sometimes mean closing trails, and another to hire another Forest Ranger officer to do more enforcement.

I know that many on here are kind of "anti-government control" and I'm honestly with you on that in many ways, but I do think these permits are a good thing and will actually go towards keeping trails open and even opening new ones. My only real qualm is that they are giving tickets and fines out already.

Rob
August 2nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
From the statute: ... when such vehicle is being used for recreational travel upon designated off-highway vehicle routes.

One could argue he's not engaged in "recreational travel," but merely taking the scenic route to work.

Rob
August 2nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Another one:
(e) Off-highway vehicles operated in an organized competitive or noncompetitive event on publicly or privately owned or leased land; except that this exemption shall not apply unless the agency exercising jurisdiction over such land specifically authorizes the organized competitive or noncompetitive event.

I wonder if we could call a ranger district and get permission for our noncompetitive events (trail runs).

It's interesting that they're finally deciding to enforce this after it's been on the books for more than 20 years. Think the economy and the state government's fiscal problems have anything to do with it? Revenue enhancement?

Jackie
August 2nd, 2011, 11:16 PM
We just came back from a week in the mountains and displayed our annual pass to ALL Federal lands etc on the dash in our mini van. Since I was driving the Jeep, I paid $80 for another annual pass that should cover everything and anywhere I want to go in the country. Am I wrong??? They didn't give me a hanger-thingy for the rear-view mirror, so that concerns me a bit. The Popo in Grand Lake were out in force... People were getting ticketed left and right.

Rob
August 2nd, 2011, 11:19 PM
Am I wrong???

Yeah, this is a state statute and the permit adheres to your front bumper. One sticker per registered vehicle, I think.

It's getting expensive to enjoy our "public" lands.

RockyMtnHigh
August 2nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
Think the economy and the state government's fiscal problems have anything to do with it?

We got to make up that "stimulus" money somewhere! :lmao:

Seriously though, this is no different than fishing or hunting licenses, you got to pay to play and these trails don't maintain themselves or do they? :confused::lmao:

Zukrider
August 2nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
what a pain! they should offer a "sticker" option, for the same fee, at the dmv. one stop, your covered.

RockyMtnHigh
August 2nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
what a pain! they should offer a "sticker" option, for the same fee, at the dmv. one stop, your covered.

There's an idea!

Rob
August 2nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
these trails don't maintain themselves or do they?

Good point, but look at all the trail maintenance done by clubs like ours. The only other maintenance I've seen is when they hire a contractor to bulldoze trails (oh, no, I'm starting to sound like Brody!) or close trails and revegetate them. It's galling to think I'd be funding the closure of trails.

RockyMtnHigh
August 2nd, 2011, 11:31 PM
Good point, but look at all the trail maintenance done by clubs like ours. The only other maintenance I've seen is when they hire a contractor to bulldoze trails (oh, no, I'm starting to sound like Brody!) or close trails and revegetate them. It's galling to think I'd be funding the closure of trails.

Hence my confused smilie, because I know a lot of the clubs / groups like this one, participate in trail clean ups of their own, so who is actually maintaining the trails and what are they actually doing in regards to maintenance, besides running a dozer over it.

Rob
August 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hence my confused smilie

I saw it, but it didn't show up when I hit "quote selected." ;)

Jackie
August 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
One sticker per registered vehicle, I think.
I paid $80. I didn't get a sticker, just a card. And this was just a few days ago...

frisco31
August 2nd, 2011, 11:52 PM
I do trail cleaning when I am out. The day I got my ticket i had picked up beer cans, I thought the the forrest cop was going to see the empty cans and hassel me. Lucky he did not see them.

RockyMtnHigh
August 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
I do trail cleaning when I am out.

Suffice to say, I wonder if the wheeling community stopped their trail clean up efforts on their adopted trails would their voices be heard, I mean since they are charging for "maintenance" that means they (Colorado State Parks) should be able to afford to do it themselves now.

I am not suggesting that this be done, but it kind of reminds me of a co-worker who recently not only paid movers for extra days beyond the estimated time to move his crap, but he had to help them too! WTF? :confused:

Rob
August 3rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
I didn't get a sticker, just a card.

I don't think that's the OHV permit.

frisco31
August 3rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
I got a piece of paper I have to carry until my sticker arrives in the mail.

glacierpaul
August 3rd, 2011, 05:45 AM
Monies collected that go to trails only do so if the agency or jurisdiciton applies for said monies. Here in Clear Creek, our head ranger applies for nothing, hence, seasonal gates, potential trail closures......But I can see COHVCO using monies to fight things in areas like mine and that is a plus. Now the dilema for me is how many stickers do I buy? ATV, of course, F-350?, 82' J-20?, 90' YJ?, and my Rubicon? So up to another $100 for me, as I do patrols up here in any of my listed vehicles, well it is for a good cause.....right?

Brody
August 3rd, 2011, 05:55 AM
well it is for a good cause.....right?

And that is the question....

Cr33p3r
August 3rd, 2011, 07:05 AM
I suppose I'll go get mine before the Halfmoon Creek run on the 20th of this month. Come to think of it, it wouldn't hard for the Feds & other LE Agencies to check out boards like this one for upcoming trail runs & show up on the trail that day & issue citations. All of the trail info, people attending, meeting time, etc, is available for the public to see so if they're so inclined, they'll know right where people will be wheeling & how large of a group it'll be.

I reckon we all better go get that permit as I'm sure the fine associated with a citation would be way more than $25.25..............and that's more than likely what they're counting on.

Funny you mentioned that Larry, now I know this is a bit off topic in a way, but the local cities are using online satelite maps to find out what people have in their backyards and ticketing them w/o regards to if it is out of sight of the public or behind a 6 foot, fence or garage. They are all pulling these type of tactics to get the public to conform to their new police state status!

or close trails and revegetate them. It's galling to think I'd be funding the closure of trails.

If anyone has done research into this then they know the revegitation takes as long as 100+ years to fully regain the prior environment status, so almost all of us will be long gone by then. A good example think of some of the trails where you go past old mining towns not just the mines themselves but the actual townsites, they usually have been gone for more than 100 yrs and you can still see the damages of streets/roads even in some places where outhouses were located.

Java
August 3rd, 2011, 07:13 AM
Monies collected that go to trails only do so if the agency or jurisdiciton applies for said monies. Here in Clear Creek, our head ranger applies for nothing, hence, seasonal gates, potential trail closures......But I can see COHVCO using monies to fight things in areas like mine and that is a plus. Now the dilema for me is how many stickers do I buy? ATV, of course, F-350?, 82' J-20?, 90' YJ?, and my Rubicon? So up to another $100 for me, as I do patrols up here in any of my listed vehicles, well it is for a good cause.....right?

you could put the sticker on a magnetic sheet, I have some if you want a piece, then you can move it vehicle to vehicle. not sure if that's a good idea or an opening for another ticket...

edog
August 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
I don't see how they can possibly enforce this. How on earth do they expect everyone who enjoys off roading to go and check the local "designated off highway vehicle routes?" If they are issuing tickets already then they need to have signage posted on each one of these designated routes, and then warning signs or instructions on where to obtain the sticker. I think whomever gets tickets for this has a strong case in court due to the gray areas of this and how this applies across various land agencies and variability in enforcement policy.

For myself I think I will continue to enjoy the trails as I do, let the chips fall where they may, etc.

Colin
August 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Could some one explain this?? Becuase i just read the entire thread i still dont understand. Are the stickers for atv and dirt bikes, or do we have to have them on our rigs, and does this mean we have to have the stickers for all 4wd trails?

frisco31
August 3rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
I got ticketed on forest service roads. I was told if I was registered and insured I would not need a sticker. They did not mention going on the trails. I would think like me if your rig is a trailer queen then you would need the sticker. Regestered and insured vehicles are the big question for on trail use.

We need clarity on that point.

Warrlord
August 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Are the stickers for atv and dirt bikes, or do we have to have them on our rigs, and does this mean we have to have the stickers for all 4wd trails?

This from the link.............................................. ..

This statute would require plated vehicles on designated OHV routes to have a permit. A vehicle registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42 would be a street legal, plated vehicle. OHV registrations and OHV permits both cost $25.25, but are not the same thing.

“Off-highway vehicle route” means any road, trail, or way owned or managed by the state or any agency or political subdivision thereof or the United States for off-highway vehicle travel.

I take that as, when I go 4 wheeling with my street licensed truck on a designated trail made for ATV's, dirt bikes, & 4x4's, I'll need the permit to be legal while on that trail.

sunk
August 3rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Unbelievable! I cant see how they can ticket everyone, thousands of people drive offroad in colorado every weekend. There are currently no signs that state that a registration is required (that would cost the state extra money). I can see how the extra funds could be beneficial for everyone, but I have very little faith that the money goes to the right place (not to mention they use those funds to close trails). I pretty much had to vent, it seems like everyone here makes great arguments. So does anyone know if you purchase a state parks pass, do you still have to have the sticker (probably).

Brad
August 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
I went to RPM and paid the $25.25. I am now legal.

The nice lady behind the counter looked at me funny when I told her it was a Land Rover. So I am guessing that not many people actually do get the permit.

Robert B
August 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
The nice lady behind the counter looked at me funny when I told her it was a Land Rover. So I am guessing that not many people actually do get the permit.
no..no.. its just that its a land rover period:erm: :lmao:but ya i dont think many do and i havent heard much other than that site so lets see what happens :) .......hhhmmm i might need a pass just to visit my aunt and uncle sine they live on a dirt road outside woodland park...............

Brad
August 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
its just that its a land rover period

Mock all you like! I will not waiver on how capable my Disco has been.

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 02:38 PM
I went to RPM and paid the $25.25. I am now legal.

What's RPM? I went to 2 local places and they're sold out. Seems there's a rush on these...

Colin
August 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
OHV registrations and OHV permits both cost $25.25, but are not the same thing

So do we buy both then? or is one for atv and such while the other is for 4x4s?

Brad
August 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I was confused. I have the registration not a permit. Not sure what the permit is.

Edit- I am not sure if I am now legal. I have a registration not a permit.

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
I'm waiting for a return call from them right now. Officially it's just supposed to be warnings and education this year with enforcement next year. They've been fielding lots of calls and Debbie is clarifying this with Tom Metza who's director and author of the Stay the Trail post that Nick cited at the beginning.

What we'll have to do is register as I understand it right now. To avoid issues until next year you can buy at out-of-state permit that will suffice if you get challenged by a LEO from 1 of the many juridictions that exist.

You can get the out-of-state at Wal-Mart too, there's no difference between that and the in-state that doesn't really exist now as I understand it.

Brad
August 3rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Ok, Just got off the phone with RPM about my registration. It is valid. When you first register your vehicle for OHV they give you a 60day permit while the sticker is being processed. You then are assigned a OHV number which will stay with your vehicle in future registrations. States 60 DAY PERMIT across my temporary registration.

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Back to an earlier question - what's RPM? :confused:

Vroom, vroom! :erm:

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Answer my own question - RPM = http://www.rpmms.com

Brad
August 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Sorry Chris. Forgot to follow up on that question.

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
Difinitive answer: To avoid issues do the Registration, not the permit. This has to be done in person or by mail.

It's not supposed to be enforced but as we've seen some branches of LEO are and $25 is cheaper than $75 fine.

SCRubicon
August 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
This from the link.............................................. ..

This statute would require plated vehicles on designated OHV routes to have a permit. A vehicle registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42 would be a street legal, plated vehicle. OHV registrations and OHV permits both cost $25.25, but are not the same thing.

“Off-highway vehicle route” means any road, trail, or way owned or managed by the state or any agency or political subdivision thereof or the United States for off-highway vehicle travel.

I take that as, when I go 4 wheeling with my street licensed truck on a designated trail made for ATV's, dirt bikes, & 4x4's, I'll need the permit to be legal while on that trail.

Just to throw a curve ball - do they mean while traveling off-highway and/or traveling on any road, trail or way while in an off-highway vehicle? (like taking your off road rig down I25) :D All in the interpretation of the wording.

Anyhow, nice time to spring this one on us - 8 months into the year. Also, does this include the 2wd + AWD car driving hikers when they use a FS road or cruise part way up a trail to get to a hiking route or are they just breaking it off in our a$$es? What about campers too? If not, I'm not paying a thin dime.

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm not paying a thin dime.

Me either dammit! I paid 255 thin dimes! :lmao:

dr350jja
August 3rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
The way I interpret this is that our licensed trucks should have a Colorado OHV Permit, not an OHV Registration :confused:

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 08:54 PM
The registration IS for the permit. The only permit you can buy is one for out-of-state OHVs.

Apparently the permit itself is a decal you recieve after registration and is renewed each year.

Jackie
August 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
I called the state parks #for the front range region and got a very confused girl on the phone. She was very pro though, and came back with answers to my direct questions:

Yes - even though our Jeep is licensed, it will need a sticker ($25.25)
Yes - even though our dirt bike is licensed, it will need a sticker ($25.25)

NO - the fact that we just purchased an $80 annual parks pass does not excuse us. (It's a fed thing vs. a state thing)

I also called one of the Westminster locations where you can supposedley buy your sticker... he was clueless, but appreciated the heads-up. He was not aware that it was being inforced and is currently out of the stickers.

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Don't sweat the decal, your registration is a 60 day permit.

Chris
August 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Don't call asking for a sticker/permit, ask to register.

Brody
August 4th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I think it is time to bring out the Monkey Wrench Gang again. This **** is getting absurd....We already pay taxes for the forest service roads, we pay taxes for the forest use, we pay taxes to "maintain" (if you can call grading 4x4 trails and closing off 4x4 trails "maintenance") we pay vehicle taxes, we pay for vehicle plates and more....and what do all of our taxes actually pay for in regard to land use?

Adam has a good point....where the **** does all this money go, anyway? I don't have an "extra" $25...nor do I have the $75 for a fine "that is only going to be enforced next year"...

And I'll probably will have to dig for the $$ to apply for this stupid, totally lameass, piece of governmental nonsense crap that doesn't mean **** all, nor does it do any outdoor enthusiast any good. What the end result will be will more than likely be shinier and new looking/designs on 'road closed' signs and better gates.....

RockyMtnHigh
August 4th, 2011, 06:58 AM
"that is only going to be enforced next year"...

You must have missed it Pete:

I got my ticket in the Woodland Park. They were making the rounds in the parking lot looking for stickers..

If he got a ticket, then I assume it's been left up to the discretion of the officer on site and they may consider the fine a form of education. Either way I agree with you, I can't recall a single instance where I have seen a government or state employee on a trail with a shovel in his hands improving or maintaining anything, however I have seen on several occasions clubs / groups of wheelers cleaning up areas they use. As you said, aside from dozing over a trail now and then to make it less desirable for the 4 wheeling community to travel on, what other maintenance could they possibly be doing that could justify doing this now all of the sudden?

Mesomelas
August 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Well I guess if we are paying for trail maintenance, we won't need to clean up anymore. There will be people hired to clean up that trash... right? Maybe they will install some trash cans, stop lights, sidewalks, and hand rails. Then we can all be safe and don't have to worry about making decisions for ourselves.

frisco31
August 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I think the differance is on forest service roads you are fine with your vehicle registration. OHV roads you need the sticker. The sticker also works for your off road only vehicles if you are on forest service roads. My crawler only is stickered not plated. Before I had my sticker I got the ticket and educated about what roads I could be on. It was a 75 dollar education.

SCRubicon
August 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I called the state parks #for the front range region and got a very confused girl on the phone. She was very pro though, and came back with answers to my direct questions:

Yes - even though our Jeep is licensed, it will need a sticker ($25.25)
Yes - even though our dirt bike is licensed, it will need a sticker ($25.25)

I think the differance is on forest service roads you are fine with your vehicle registration. OHV roads you need the sticker.

I think I talked with the same confused girl at Colorado State Parks late yesterday afternoon. When I asked, "What qualifies as an OHV road?" she had no definitive answer. I told her my Jeep is a street legal vehicle I drive on the pavement every day - that it does not get transported on a trailer. Then she said, "If your Jeep has a license plate, current registration and is insured you should have no problems." WTH? Sounds like a different story to me. Somebody on the top end of this scam needs to get their ***** straight so their pee-ons know what to tell people when they call for information. There is too much gray area.

The CO State OHV Program has been in contact with several FS Ranger Districts to discuss and interpret these statutes to gain consistent enforcement. Some FS and BLM LEOs may or could interpret these statutes differently than each other or the state.

This existing law gives state and federal law enforcement officers great discretion and power to write tickets against any vehicle with a motor operated on any road or trail open to off-highway vehicles. We strongly recommend purchasing an OHV permit or OHV registration for any vehicle operated on any road or trail open to off-highway vehicles.

^^^ comes directly from the Stay the Trail News link. All it tells me is the person with the badge standing outside your window can hand you a ticket if he/she wants to. So, if I get busted by the FS do I offer them a doughnut or a granola bar? I just want to know the protocol...

Chris
August 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Right, depending on who it is you can get a ticket.

Why not go the the guy that posted the initial info, he gives his contact info.
----------------------------
Tom Metsa
Colorado State Parks
State OHV/Snowmobile Program Manager
303-791-1957 x 4132
303-470-0782 Fax

Brody
August 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Well I guess if we are paying for trail maintenance, we won't need to clean up anymore. There will be people hired to clean up that trash... right? Maybe they will install some trash cans, stop lights, sidewalks, and hand rails. Then we can all be safe and don't have to worry about making decisions for ourselves.

We run into the same total asshat bullshit climbing where certain 'parks' and certain 'areas' that are now "protected" and where you are now banned from installing permanent fixed climbing due to the the impact a 1 1/2'x1 1/2" piece of metal would have on a cliff face hundreds of feet high. These same areas where this is stuff is banned have sprouted hundreds of metal signs, metal hand rails, placards, etc, which to me, despoil the landscape in a much greater fashion and have more of an impact on a fragile landscape....all paid for with our hard earned tax dollars. And there is still trash that no one who is employed by the park service seems to be paid enough to bother picking up. This, of course, falls on the hikers and climbers who have taken it upon themselves to police the areas on their own dime and time.

And no, I am not really very ******* happy about this bullshit turn of events....

Jackie
August 4th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Hmmm.... maybe we all go "on strike" for a while and quit visiting the national parks/state parks/recreational areas altogether so they have no fees to collect. Then what do they do? We'll have nice over-grown areas that (some will continue to trash one-way-or-the-other) and no money to pay for the clean-up.

I'm thinking that the 6 - 8 hours (or more) a lot of us spent picking up trash this summer is worth a pay-check equal to a whole lot more than $25. Perhaps they could come up with a sticker for those of us who have volunteer hours officially logged with a ranger station.

I can agree with "pay to play", but this is like double-taxation.

Brody
August 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM
What Jackie said. Seems like just about every other state's FS "rewards" their volunteers /adopt a trailees with a volunteer sticker. The FS Rangers here that we have been dealing with have/had absolutely no clue what I was talking about when I mentioned this, and remained totally clueless even when presented with a picture of the official sticker from a 4x magazine....

Of course a damn sticker doesn't mean **** one way of the other if you are going to get gouged with a a $25 hit....unless, of course, it says something like " I volunteer my time and money to clean up trails in cooperation with the USFS. Please insert a tree up my ass to show your appreciation."

I am not too sure I am ever going to be doing any more crap to help the FS, in this state or any other and will simply go back to picking up trash as I see it as I have been doing for 50 years. The "Adopt A Trail", however good an idea it is/was, sure as hell doesn't seem to be doing anyone who uses the trails a **** load of good.

That pretty much sums things up for me in regard to this happy horse ****.

MelloYello
August 4th, 2011, 06:46 PM
WTF! I am off this site for a week and all hell is breaking loose. Does the $25 come with some lube? This is absolute taxation without representation. "public lands" mean what? Has anyone seen "V for Vendetta" - My favorite movie. Just saying.:rolleyes: If push comes to shove, I will probably bend over and get the sticker. I wish I was a lawyer, this whole thing smells like easy money for the state.

Jackie
August 4th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Just a little basic math here:

The basic minimum wage in CO is $7.36 per hour according to http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm#Colorado

I don't remember how many hours it took everyone to clean Devil's Canyon and Barbour Forks this summer... so for the purpose of "easy math", let's just say "5 hours".

18 members responded that they would show up and I'm pretty sure more than that did.
Let's assume there were 2 people in each vehicle even though some were single and some were families or groups of more than 2. That makes 36 people+.

36 people x $7.36 = $264.96 per hour. Multiply by 5 hours and you get $1,324.80 for the work this group did.

They would have to issue 17 or 18 tickets at $75 a pop to recoup that money. (And the work wouldn't be done - and they'd have to hire somebody to do it because we are never going to win the war against those that don't care).

I think this is an issue worth fighting... I can afford to pay, but I'm not one to throw money out the window.

SCRubicon
August 4th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Parting with the $25 is not the issue for me if I absolutely have to do it. The problem I have with this is everybody in the state who wants to go off road legally (even once a year) will be spending the same $25 or be fined $75 if caught without registering. That's a lot of damn money. I want to see more trails opened back up or at the very least less trails being closed off :mad:

frisco31
August 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Here is what happens with the monies

2011 LEGISLATION:
(SB 11-208), ch. 293, § 22 - (2) (b) (I), (2) (b) (II)

(1) All fees collected from the registration of off-highway vehicles and all fees collected from the sale of off-highway use permits, plus all interest earned on such moneys shall be credited to the off-highway vehicle recreation fund, which fund is hereby created, and shall be used for the administration of this article, for information and awareness on the availability of off-highway vehicle recreational opportunities, for the promotion of off-highway vehicle safety, for the establishment and maintenance of off-highway vehicle routes, parking areas, and facilities, and for the purchase or lease of private land for the purposes of access to public land for uses consistent with the provisions of this article; however, any moneys collected in excess of four dollars per original or renewal registration shall be used exclusively for direct services and not administrative costs. The general assembly shall make annual appropriations from the off-highway vehicle recreation fund for the purposes enumerated in this subsection (1).

(2) All moneys collected for fines imposed pursuant to the provisions of this article shall be distributed as follows:

(a) One-half of such amount collected shall be transferred to the state treasurer for credit to the general fund; and

(b) One-half of such amount collected shall be distributed as follows:

(I) If the citing officer is a parks and recreation officer, such amount shall be transferred to the state treasurer and credited to the off-highway vehicle recreation fund; or

(II) If the citing officer is a Colorado wildlife officer or special wildlife officer, such amount shall be transferred to the state treasurer and credited to the wildlife cash fund; or

(III) If the citing officer is any other peace officer, such amount shall be transferred to the treasurer of the local jurisdiction in which the violation occurred to be credited to the appropriate fund.

(3) Notwithstanding any provision of this section to the contrary, on January 1, 2004, the state treasurer shall deduct seven hundred thousand dollars from the off-highway vehicle recreation fund and transfer such sum to the general fund.

Source: L. 89: Entire article added, p. 1365, § 1, effective April 1, 1990. L. 2003: (3) added, p. 1544, § 5, effective May 1; (2)(b)(II) amended, p. 1631, § 71, effective August 6.

frisco31
August 4th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Try this link for the C.R.S.

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

RockyMtnHigh
August 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Just a little basic math here:

Not being a smartass, but don't forget fuel expenses! :thumb:

Rob
August 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM
this is like double-taxation.

It's definitely a double fee. A fee to register your vehicle for the road and a fee to register it for the trail.

glacierpaul
August 5th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Regarding (III), here in Clear Creek County, you can bet our sheriff's will be enforcing this, as they have as of last year been ok'ed to enforce USFS reg's on the trails and roads.
Good timing of this revenue maker, the James Peak Wilderness Expansion and the Elk Park Special Protection Area needs funding.......

frisco31
August 5th, 2011, 09:40 AM
If you read through the rules it explains that if the vehicle is not specifaly designed for off road use, your vehicle registration and insurance is all you need to be ohv trails.

I talked with my buddy, who is a state popo, and he looked it up.

The problem comes in is the USFS police supersceeding the state laws.

That is the state rights debate. That needs to be challenged in court.

Anyone that recieved a ticket in their regestered and insured vehicle can fight this. I could not because mine is not regestered.

State vs federal which do we follow?

Beefy
August 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM
It is of my opinion that they will not be ticketing plated vehicles. BUT, do not take my word for it. If you want to get a registration/sticker for your plated vehicle just to be safe, than that isn't necessarily a bad thing. But, I will not be getting one.

Chris
August 5th, 2011, 02:37 PM
There's a big variance in tne way people view this so we can conduct our own field tests. I say we just report back whether or not we get a ticket and/or get asked to show we're registered and see what turns out to be the right approach.

Jackie
August 5th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I say we challenge it.

We have some good writers on this forum who could probably draft up a pretty good petition or letter of concern of some sort. We could show that our group wants to play by the rules and is willing to help maintain trails, but we don't appreciate additional expenses in order to do so. We could pass the "letter" or "petition" around us for feedback and then submit to the authorities for evaluation. What do you think? Worth fighting???

Again... I could just suck it up and pay the fee to be safe, as I'm sure many of you can. But WHY?

Chris
August 5th, 2011, 07:56 PM
My read is this is a very old law now being enforced officially next year. Fight away but to really fight there will be costs that end up for exceeding the $25.25.

RockyMtnHigh
August 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM
And what exactly are you guys going to be fighting?

We have all agreed or most of us anyway, that the money generated from the registration will not be used for maintaining the trails, it'll trickle some where else or most likely be used to close trails if nothing else.

But here you go off fighting and refusing to pay, despite what we know will happen with the money, what's that going to say about us to the tree hugging community, that would like to see all access shut down to everything except their granola eating events? It's not even really what they think of us, but how they will spin it for their benefit!

"They gave them the opportunity to fund the maintenance on the trail system they use and look what they did, they refused to pay for it and fought it tooth and nail. They are a selfish group of people who want nothing more than to tear up a beautiful piece of land at no expense to them." All the while holding up a picture of some jackass (who we all despise also) tearing up a shoulder of a trail spinning his tires like an idiot.

Do we really want to go down that road? Kind of hard to argue against a law that has been on the books for 20 years and is just now being enforced.

I know, I know, principles, blah, blah, blah...regardless, the way "they" are selling it, we will look like selfish asses to the general unknowing public by fighting it.

This can be used to our benefit the next time they try and close a trail, as you can now say, "hey asshat, I paid my dues for the use of that trail and the maintenance to go along with it, WTF do you think you're doing closing it? It's not my fault you squandered the money, I am not your accountant, open it back up!"

Pick your battles is all I am saying! :2c:

Pathrat
August 5th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I can't recall a single instance where I have seen a government or state employee on a trail with a shovel in his hands improving or maintaining anything, however I have seen on several occasions clubs / groups of wheelers cleaning up areas they use.

Excellent observation. You are spot on.

Pathrat
August 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM
So, if I get busted by the FS do I offer them a doughnut or a granola bar? I just want to know the protocol...

Udi's chocolate chip gluten-free muffin. Your bases are covered with that one.

Michael4rnr
August 5th, 2011, 11:42 PM
So I need to go get registration to keep wheeling my rig? I want to make sure cause I don't want to have to pay the fine.

RockyMtnHigh
August 5th, 2011, 11:48 PM

:lmao:

Colin
August 7th, 2011, 07:56 PM
"They gave them the opportunity to fund the maintenance on the trail system they use and look what they did, they refused to pay for it and fought it tooth and nail. They are a selfish group of people who want nothing more than to tear up a beautiful piece of land at no expense to them." All the while holding up a picture of some jackass (who we all despise also) tearing up a shoulder of a trail spinning his tires like an idiot.

This can be used to our benefit the next time they try and close a trail, as you can now say, "hey asshat, I paid my dues for the use of that trail and the maintenance to go along with it, WTF do you think you're doing closing it? It's not my fault you squandered the money, I am not your accountant, open it back up!"
I agree, and i am going to pay the fee, i just need to know where to. SO can some one tell me where?

RockyMtnHigh
August 7th, 2011, 10:46 PM
SO can some one tell me where?

Chris posted this back on the first page of the thread, post #11: http://parks.state.co.us/SiteCollectionImages/parks/Programs/Registrations/Agent%20Locations%20-%20OHV.pdf

Brad
August 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I am in agreeance with Jock here. I bought mine. More just so I dont have to go to court over this. I also see it as a positive representation of our club as I have 2 stickers stating Front Range 4X4.com on my rig. I think it would reflect badly on all of you if I were to get fined in front of all the other registered 4 wheelers out there. I try to do my best to think of other people in this and not just myself.

gm4x4lover
August 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I think Justin on colorado 4x4 nailed it on the head. If the fee's are combined from both 4x4 vehicles, dirt bikes, and atvs then our voice will be as one. Which would give us more power as a whole for how the fund gets spent. I have no problem with the fee's themselves but rather how they are going to get used.

No. I don't think that. In fact, I would agree that it sags the "low hanging fruit" even lower. But as I said on our FB page as well, it will also provide a little more incentive for the OHV community to speak as one voice when it comes to protecting that fund, and keeping the money where it belongs, which helps our chances of keeping our trails open. It will show the true numbers of people using our public lands via motorized vehicle (recreation or access or both). It puts numbers down, and those numbers make it easier to protest reallocation of that fund.

IMHO... most 4x4 enthusiasts who don't own OHVs aren't overly concerned about the OHV fund, or its process at the moment. And for the record, Colo4x4 is not "most 4x4 enthusiasts" as many on here stay tuned in and aware of whats going on. But your average Joe 4WD doesn't care because he didn't have to buy a permit/registration up until this change of enforcement. This might very well be a catalyst to get everyone who uses 4x4s, ATVs, dirt bikes, etc united. Steve, even you have said that the disconnection between the enthusiast groups is one of the community's biggest problems. While not ideal, this is a way to accomplish some of that unity.

Java
August 8th, 2011, 06:18 PM
And what exactly are you guys going to be fighting?

We have all agreed or most of us anyway, that the money generated from the registration will not be used for maintaining the trails, it'll trickle some where else or most likely be used to close trails if nothing else.

But here you go off fighting and refusing to pay, despite what we know will happen with the money, what's that going to say about us to the tree hugging community, that would like to see all access shut down to everything except their granola eating events? It's not even really what they think of us, but how they will spin it for their benefit!

Do we really want to go down that road? Kind of hard to argue against a law that has been on the books for 20 years and is just now being enforced.

I know, I know, principles, blah, blah, blah...regardless, the way "they" are selling it, we will look like selfish asses to the general unknowing public by fighting it.

Pick your battles is all I am saying! :2c:

VERY well said. :thumb:

Colin
August 22nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
I just got my stickers and what not in the mail and despite telling them that I have a Land Rover LR3 the make and model on my registration card says I own a Range Rover LR3, something that doesn't exsist. :erm: YaY the forest service knows what they are doing!!!!!!!!:whatAreYouThinking:

Newb Tourist
August 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Oh man that is too much! Yeah I think I'll buy one just to avoid grief.

EldoradoFJ60
August 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Still waiting for my magic sticker to arrive.

It would be nice if the sticker actually did something. For example if you didn't have one your vehicle would implode if you took it on a trail. That would keep the tourists in Honda Pilot's away.

frisco31
August 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Got mine the other day.

Colin
August 23rd, 2011, 08:36 AM
It would be nice if the sticker actually did something. For example if you didn't have one your vehicle would implode if you took it on a trail. That would keep the tourists in Honda Pilot's away.
:bowdown: It really should since it costs $25.

4runner freak
August 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
So, if I get busted by the FS do I offer them a doughnut or a granola bar? I just want to know the protocol...

It's funny, cause I use to have 3 vending machines in the break room at REI downtown, and we put granola bars in for a couple of weeks, until they would expire cause no one would buy them :)
So we put in Snickers and they would sell out every week. :D