PDA

View Full Version : Off-road tow service in Colorado?

Java
August 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I do a lot of solo stuff, and so far I've been pretty lucky in avoiding problems and being able to fix what comes up... but ofcourse the clock it ticking on that, and should it come up, does anyone know of a tow service that goes offroad? I know that ofcourse it would be expensive, I just want to know if it exists. I have the big AAA membership, so as long as I get to pavement I get a ride home, but that's not always feasable...

this guy does moab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAhcaZSy70

sunk
August 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
If you can reach anyone from the trail, Frontrange 4x4 is a great tow service!

frisco31
August 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Just call a friend. It may take a bit but it works.

scout man
August 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Ive always though about getting one of those style tow rigs, and lifting and locking it with the intention of running an off road towing business... that is capable of getting most places on most trails. But it would definitely not be cheap. I personally would never use the service, but there are so many people with a surplus of money and a lack of "do-it-yourself" sense, that I am sure it could be profitable, at least part time. For me, I have always found a way to get my rig off the trail, at least to where it can be trailered home.

Fordguy77
August 11th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Ive always though about getting one of those style tow rigs, and lifting and locking it with the intention of running an off road towing business... that is capable of getting most places on most trails. But it would definitely not be cheap. I personally would never use the service, but there are so many people with a surplus of money and a lack of "do-it-yourself" sense, that I am sure it could be profitable, at least part time. For me, I have always found a way to get my rig off the trail, at least to where it can be trailered home.

Have had the same thought for a long time, always just lacked the motivation to start one.

Java
August 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Frontrange4x4 or a friend is always the better option, I'm just wondering specifically if there is a pro doing it. I have Nations # in my Moab Wells book just in case, but that is sort of a small area, compared to CO anyway. I'd be scared to tow someone down a big hill, let alone something like Red Cone, so I'm guessing there isn't, but you never know til you ask. The idea of hiking out, getting help / parts / tools, driving back, fixing and then getting out sounds like a 2 day affair and I'd gladly pay a bit to avoid it, it's alot easier to fix at home! So far I've had great luck and been able to fix any problems where they happenned, but I also try to go prepared, and pick where I go so I don't think I'll have trouble. The potential is always there and it would be cool to have a service to call as a last resort. Even better if they took AAA!!

Scoutman, you should do it, and make it a mobile repair shop too. You could make a fortune just off me. :D

SCRubicon
August 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I do a lot of solo stuff, and so far I've been pretty lucky in avoiding problems and being able to fix what comes up... but ofcourse the clock it ticking on that, and should it come up, does anyone know of a tow service that goes offroad? I know that ofcourse it would be expensive, I just want to know if it exists. I have the big AAA membership, so as long as I get to pavement I get a ride home, but that's not always feasable...

IIRC, this guy is off of I-70 between Dillon and Frisco.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Wheeler1/DSCN1423.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Wheeler1/DSCN1424.jpg

scout man
August 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM
i would if I had the money. Seems expensive to start up though, and even more expensive for insurance. If I had just moved towards the mountains though, I would probably be extremely tempted by it. Unfortunately I jsut moved the other direction, so I would have to be really pricy just to make me want to drive to the mountains! :D

Java
August 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM
IIRC, this guy is off of I-70 between Dillon and Frisco.

That is fuggen awesome!!! UGLY and AWESOME. I wonder what trails it could actually do

Java
August 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
i would if I had the money. Seems expensive to start up though, and even more expensive for insurance. If I had just moved towards the mountains though, I would probably be extremely tempted by it. Unfortunately I jsut moved the other direction, so I would have to be really pricy just to make me want to drive to the mountains! :D

It would be pricey, I'd probably charge atleast $200 just to show up depending on distance, and get it on a credit card before I left Denver with an open approval for a lot more than that. Good thing is it would be a true part-time, mostly weekend seasonal business, so no quitting the day job required. Insurance is a tough one for something like that- in Florida I had a boat and jetski rental concession at a hotel in Hollywood and I got my insurance through Lloyds of London, i couldn't find a standard biz insurer in the US to cover me, and it was before the IJSBA and other boating orgs started selling insurance. I'd be surprised if you found anyone to cover you at any reasonable rate. I'd contact a lawyer about skipping any special insurance and having a blanket hold-harmless agreement written up that is signed at the site and is also on the payment page for the $200, ie: by paying this fee you agree to... and I think a vehicle owner would have a tough time in court saying anything that happenned on the side of a mountain they put themselves on was the tow driver's fault. and if it was, they've agreed to hold you harmless twice, and I'd probably incorporate as well for that protection from litigation and try to hold no assets in the buisiness aside from a truck and some tools. I'm over thinking this. GlacierPaul, this could be business #4!

cfr
August 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Saw this sign at the beginning of the Lead King Basin which leads to Schofield pass. I took a pic in case I got myself in a mess. He needs to include the area code.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx17/jk-pics/LeadKingBasin-Crystal%20Powerhouse-Schofield%20Pas/IMGP0139.jpg

Java
August 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Nice! I'll write his # down and make sure he gives you a commission if I call.

scout man
August 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
if you dont know his area code, he doesnt want to help you, tourist!! :D

The way I see it, it would be $100 to get me to put pants on, the x cents per mile to the trail head, then y cents per mile on the trail (y varies on the difficulty of the trail), then x cents back home again. And since I dont actually have a day job, I would have to think really hard about it if I lived anywhere near the mountains.

Rob
August 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
It would be good to have a tow company to call in some cases. I don't worry so much about the 40, but the FJC is not as trail-repairable and, as mine's a full-time 4WD, it's not supposed to be flat towed or even two-wheel towed. It would need to be hauled out on a trailer or flatbed.

Haku
August 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
It would be good to have a tow company to call in some cases. I don't worry so much about the 40, but the FJC is not as trail-repairable and, as mine's a full-time 4WD, it's not supposed to be flat towed or even two-wheel towed. It would need to be hauled out on a trailer or flatbed.

Just FYI Rob, you can get around the problems with flat towing your rig by just pulling the driveshaft.

I think most mountain areas have a towing company capable of this kind of rescue. I've heard of a few people with stories about getting towed off stuff in the corridor between Fairplay and Bailey. Can't say there were happy stories, as they involved the initial sadness of breaking bad enough to need a tow truck, coupled with the fact that they tend to charge a HUGE amount of money to do it. I heard one guy who was quoted $500 but once the guy arrived he tripled the price. No idea what the guys name is, but he was refered by the Sheriff's office or Forest Rangers office or something. Speaking of, I bet that the CSP or FS rangers would probably be good people ask this question to.

Anyways, ditto on calling your Front Range buddies. There are enough rigs on here of a decent size to be able to get just about anyone out. I've thought about rigging up a system that I could attach to my bumper or something that would allow me to lift the front of a vehicle enough to tow it like a tow truck using my winch. Definitely will do it once I get a rear mounted winch. I know I have both been a part of several rescues, and have been on the receiving end of several too.

Here is for another plea for people to join the Google List that Speedwagon made for Emergency Contacts. The more the merrier on there.

Rob
August 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Just FYI Rob, you can get around the problems with flat towing your rig by just pulling the driveshaft.

Yeah, that would probably work for very short distances, but even flat towing the manual FJC with the driveshaft our is discouraged. I need to research it again.

Haku
August 11th, 2011, 10:45 PM
hmmm...not sure on that. The diff is gonna spin some, but thats about it if the driveshaft is pulled. Maybe it has something to do with the ABS system or something. I would think as long as the center diff isn't spinning it should be fine, but I'm no engineer and they probably have a good reason for it.

Pathrat
August 11th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah, that would probably work for very short distances, but even flat towing the manual FJC with the driveshaft our is discouraged. I need to research it again.

Same thing with the automatic?

Rob
August 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Same thing with the automatic?

Not sure about the auto. Check your manual. And the blue room. I know I need a refresher on towing the manual.

96blkbeauty
August 12th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Caught this on Pirate awhile back. Badass old Ford tow truck. Its in CA, but still worth sharing.

http://www.dependabletowinc.com/Off_Road_4x4.php

Cr33p3r
August 12th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Here is a short list

Off Road Recovery Colorado
H&H Towing is longest running and most experienced colorado off road recovery
and towing company in the the Gunnison, Colorado region. 4×4 off road ...

offroadtowing.com/ - Cached - SimilarOff-Road Recovery, Flatbed Towing, Towing, | Grand Junction, CO
Receive prompt flatbed towing and off-road recovery services from our company
in Grand Junction, Colorado. Riverside Towing & Recovery LLC specializes in ...

www.riversidetowingrecovery.com/ (http://www.riversidetowingrecovery.com/) - Cached - SimilarWestern Slope Towing - Site Map
Our services at Western Slope Towing in Colorado include: auto towing, lock outs
, jump starts, change your flat tire, fuel delivery, off road recovery and winch ...

www.westernslopetowing.com/sitemap-page-order.html (http://www.westernslopetowing.com/sitemap-page-order.html) - Cached - SimilarRiverside Towing And Recovery in Grand Junction, CO 81504 - (970 ...
in Grand Junction, Colorado. Riverside Towing & Recovery specializes in light ...

yellowpages.grandjunction.com/riverside+towing+and+recovery.9.109416447p.home.ht ml - Cached - SimilarRiverside Towing AND Recovery in Grand Junction, CO | 3061 Joel ...
in Grand Junction, Colorado. Riverside Towing & Recovery specializes in light ...

www.superpages.com/bp/.../Riverside-Towing-L2198893700.htm (http://www.superpages.com/bp/.../Riverside-Towing-L2198893700.htm) - Cached - SimilarH & H Towing - Gunnison, CO (Colorado) | (970) 641-2628
Mar 3, 2011 ... Gunnison Colorados Oldest and most reliable Towing and Off Road Recovery,
AAA service Provider, Lock Outs, Flat Tires, Winch outs and ...

www.manta.com/c/mtkmvnq/h-h-towing (http://www.manta.com/c/mtkmvnq/h-h-towing) - Cached - SimilarCar Towing Longmont, Colorado
Car and light truck towing Longmont, Colorado. ... Mud Lake and Caribou Ranch.
Our off-road and logging road recovery services are available 24 hours daily. ...

www.reliabletowingandrecovery.com/towinglongmontco.html (http://www.reliabletowingandrecovery.com/towinglongmontco.html) - Cached - SimilarJoe's Towing & Recovery, Commerce City, CO : Reviews and maps ...
From our location in Commerce City, Colorado we offer towing services including
: • Short & long distance • Off road & mountain recovery • Wheel lift towing ...

joes-towing-recovery-commerce-city - Cached - SimilarGunnison, Colorado Towing at DMV.org the Gunnison DMV Made ...
... Towing in Colorado including business profiles, contact information, services ...
long distance towing, Automotive, Tractor Trailers. off road recovery colorado. ...

local.dmv.org/colorado/gunnison-county/gunnison/towing.php - Cached - SimilarGunnison Colorado Towing AAA Service
H & H Towing in Gunnison, Colorado. local and long distance towing, Automotive
, Tractor Trailers. off road recovery colorado. Roadside assistance, AAA ...

hhtowing.com/Gunnison_Towing.html - Cached - Similar

glacierpaul
August 12th, 2011, 05:58 AM
It would be pricey, I'd probably charge atleast $200 just to show up depending on distance, and get it on a credit card before I left Denver with an open approval for a lot more than that. Good thing is it would be a true part-time, mostly weekend seasonal business, so no quitting the day job required. Insurance is a tough one for something like that- in Florida I had a boat and jetski rental concession at a hotel in Hollywood and I got my insurance through Lloyds of London, i couldn't find a standard biz insurer in the US to cover me, and it was before the IJSBA and other boating orgs started selling insurance. I'd be surprised if you found anyone to cover you at any reasonable rate. I'd contact a lawyer about skipping any special insurance and having a blanket hold-harmless agreement written up that is signed at the site and is also on the payment page for the $200, ie: by paying this fee you agree to... and I think a vehicle owner would have a tough time in court saying anything that happenned on the side of a mountain they put themselves on was the tow driver's fault. and if it was, they've agreed to hold you harmless twice, and I'd probably incorporate as well for that protection from litigation and try to hold no assets in the buisiness aside from a truck and some tools. I'm over thinking this. GlacierPaul, this could be business #4!

Already do this for neighbors and the varied tourist on occasion, although I mainly do this thru winter. AAA is good(I have it and use it), only they charge extra for off pavement recovery. Scorpion Shell is a AAA company and has done plenty of recovery work in Clear Creek, 303-567-4486, tell them glacierpaul(Paul Johnson) sent you, then Jimmy can tell you all the tows he has done for me over the past 20 years ha ha. Tow insurance is ridiculously expensive, the best bet (and cheapest) is to have a group, like this one, or a specific buddy with capable rig handy for help. Cables and chains can fail, or a tow vehicle lunge forward or back during recovery, leaving the tow co. resonsible for that damage, call Jimmy at Scorpion, he has some good stories. Like the time this guy's truck went over the edge on Fall River Rd. toward Fall River, during the recovery, the truck was just about to crest the road and snap, the frame hole/hold failed, tow anchor pulled out of the frame metal and back down went the truck and this time crashed into a tree it had missed on the initial off roading incident, crazy but it happens, and yes the tow co. insurance had to total the guy's truck, not to mention he was all upset at the tow co. The truck died on him right at the turn, and off he went, he was happy initially there was no damage save some pin-stripping. Depending on the situation, recovery could become very costly. At the sand dunes they will charge $4-500 just to pull you out of sand!! I have long thought, while I am there to put up a sign with my info, and make my nightly fee money pulling cars out of the sand, nice easy money ha ha. GlacierPaul : Plumbing, plowing, parking,property mangement, guided tours, and recovery! No wonder I have no time....

Thanks 1freaky1 for the list, good to have in the vehicles!

Coonburger
August 12th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Alright this is my area of expertise ive actually done these off road tows for my company. Such a guy that broke his rig on Axle Cracker that was a fun one. Ryans Recovery is the company i work for based out of breckenridge and we are the ONLY AAA provider for in and around that county. Boss has two rigs for off road recovery's. First one for easier recovery's is a 1989 chevy 1 ton boom truck 4wd with lockers. The 2nd which he takes down carnage BV on a regular basis is K5 Chevy blazer 1ton axles lockers front and rear 5.38's, PSC steering, Twin stick 205 transfercase and its now on 40 inch iroks. It has 9000lb in the back and a 10,000lb up front. The company with BIG UGLY, the pic from earlier in the post, does do off road recoverys has a okay capabable chevy and a couple jeeps. Oh yeah the company name is Ski Country Shell and towing. Real good group of guys wont rip ya off. If you want big ugly though $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. To put it perspective on how much it is the boss just did a off road recovery that took two days to complete and the bill was 2500.00 dollars. I normally charge if people call me at work is 250.00 an hour for the big truck and bout 150.00 an hour for the little truck. AAA wont cover anything that is not a maintained road its not the companys that decided that. Best way to get the best deal is call each company and get them to compete for the better price. Ive been known to just do a tow for a flat rate just cuz it was so slow and wanted to make something that day. Bosses website is RyansRecovery.com which has a ton of pics of our trucks and etc. Iam even in one of the pics acting like iam doing a jump start lol. I like scropion towing also they are a good group of guys met up with them running the tunnel grade during the winter. Again unless u have no other choice i wouldnt go with a company and get some buddies up there honestly.

sunk
August 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
When I got stuck up at slaughterhouse, The towing company I called was asking for $725 on the phone, and also said they could raise the price if they wanted to when they arrived. I know that at the great sand dunes, there is a sign at the start of the sand the says the minimum tow cost beyond that point is $500. I would rather pay for a friends gas and buy him a steak dinner, and a 12 pack, than pay a tow company those prices...

Coonburger
August 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM
This is true i would quote a price on the phone and inform them it could go up or down depending on what i evaluated from the situation when i got there. That is for most general winch outs though cuz people dont tend to inform ya of the whole situation or relize how much work it takes to get them out sometimes. That is why we generally go with a flat hourly rate for offroad.

Coonburger
August 12th, 2011, 07:44 AM
You got that right scrat id so give ya **** later on after we got done. LOL

Java
August 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Caught this on Pirate awhile back. Badass old Ford tow truck. Its in CA, but still worth sharing.

http://www.dependabletowinc.com/Off_Road_4x4.php

That is great!!

Java
August 12th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Alright this is my area of expertise ive actually done these off road tows for my company. Such a guy that broke his rig on Axle Cracker that was a fun one. Ryans Recovery is the company i work for based out of breckenridge and we are the ONLY AAA provider for in and around that county. Boss has two rigs for off road recovery's. First one for easier recovery's is a 1989 chevy 1 ton boom truck 4wd with lockers. The 2nd which he takes down carnage BV on a regular basis is K5 Chevy blazer 1ton axles lockers front and rear 5.38's, PSC steering, Twin stick 205 transfercase and its now on 40 inch iroks. It has 9000lb in the back and a 10,000lb up front. The company with BIG UGLY, the pic from earlier in the post, does do off road recoverys has a okay capabable chevy and a couple jeeps. Oh yeah the company name is Ski Country Shell and towing. Real good group of guys wont rip ya off. If you want big ugly though $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. To put it perspective on how much it is the boss just did a off road recovery that took two days to complete and the bill was 2500.00 dollars. I normally charge if people call me at work is 250.00 an hour for the big truck and bout 150.00 an hour for the little truck. AAA wont cover anything that is not a maintained road its not the companys that decided that. Best way to get the best deal is call each company and get them to compete for the better price. Ive been known to just do a tow for a flat rate just cuz it was so slow and wanted to make something that day. Bosses website is RyansRecovery.com which has a ton of pics of our trucks and etc. Iam even in one of the pics acting like iam doing a jump start lol. I like scropion towing also they are a good group of guys met up with them running the tunnel grade during the winter. Again unless u have no other choice i wouldnt go with a company and get some buddies up there honestly.

wow. I knew it could be $$ but I had no idea how much. damn. thanks for the answer and advice, sounds like you're the man with this stuff.

Brad
August 13th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I still need to mount a winch but being on the list I will do whatever is in my power to help out. Even if it is just a ride off the mountain and a lift back the next day to give some wrenching help to fix the rig well enough to drive it off.

otisdog
August 13th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Sign on Holy Cross trail. Notice the bottom line.
Jim

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/Other%20Stuff/HCSign.jpg

gm4x4lover
August 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Dont forget about Randy's towing and Knobhill here in the springs. They both do off road recovery and have trucks built for this purpose.

Randy's High Country Towing
1205 E Las Vegas st,
Colorado Springs, CO, 80903
Locally (719) 596-6067
Toll Free (800) 543-6067

Web Site http://www.randystowing.net/
Contact info http://www.randystowing.net/
Map http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=1205+E+Las+Vegas+St&city=Colorado+Springs&state=CO&zipcode=80903
Recovery trucks http://www.randystowing.net/images/fleet/F-17.jpg

Knob Hill Towing

2020 East Kiowa Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80909-5823
info@knobhilltowing.com
719-634-9941

Email (info@knobhilltowing.com)

Web site http://knobhilltowing.com/index.php
Contact info http://knobhilltowing.com/contact-us.php
map http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=knob+hill+towing&fb=1&gl=us&hq=knob+hill+towing&hnear=0x8713412ea1e6d22b:0x418eeb92f5e86b13,Colora do+Springs,+CO&ei=KIRGTqqyBcnRiAKC0bT_AQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CAQQtgM&cid=0,0,1174788662985875862

Cr33p3r
August 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I don't remember the name of the guy in Estes Park that does off road towing but he had to tow an old GF's car off Trail Ridge road he is in the local phone book up there. Only thing is his Old Chevy 4x6 had a 454, straight exhaust and hauled ass down the road.

gm4x4lover
November 23rd, 2014, 12:06 PM
Front Range Towing and Recovery

1124 S. El Paso Street,
Colorado Springs, Co, 80903
719-453-0900

http://www.frtow.com/

https://m.facebook.com/frtow?fref=nf&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

Affordable Towing and Recovery Services

Our team can provide the following services:

Disabled VehicleTowing
RecoveryOff-road Recovery
Abandoned Vehicle Towing
Private Property Parking Enforcement
Community Parking Enforcement
Equipment Moves
Road Side Assistance
Jump Starts
Scrap Removal

And best of all its member owned.

Chris
November 23rd, 2014, 01:52 PM
Nice Nick, do you have your company listed on the Front Range rescue sheet?

I used a tow service when I blew up my tranny coming home from Moab years ago. Fortunately I was on the highway and have AAA but the driver was telling me about some off-road recoveries he's done and the price people have paid was scary!

gm4x4lover
November 23rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
I dont. I will add it to the rescue list.

Brad
November 23rd, 2014, 11:10 PM
We had a customer tow his range rover off alpine loop then all the way to Denver as he blew his engine going through water. Intake was still full when I pulled his engine. I heard the tow bill was about $2000.

SubAlpine
November 26th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Brad wont just pull you out, he will tell you how to fix what you broke, like say a LBJ.