PDA

View Full Version : Chasing electrical on my 22re

frisco31
August 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I am not charging my battery, I am having trouble finding it. Anyone have this problem.

I can run until my battery starts to run low, the first thing i lose is my cooling fan, then it starts running crappy. I have had it correct itself, so I am assuming I have a lose connection.

I replaced the alt. Chased wires. No luck.

Can I just run a new wire from the alt to the battery. I only run a cooling fan and fuel pump.

Thanks

Hypoid
August 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
It can't hurt to replace the output wire, is it a fusable link?

Have you measured voltage at the battery, and the alternator to see if the new unit is even throwing a charge?

I'm not up on the Toyotas, does this have the voltage regulator inside the alternator, or outside the alternator?

Whatever is going on, the battery is carrying the load. The highest demand (the fan) quits working first.

Brody
August 14th, 2011, 06:15 AM
What Mike said. You can replace the alternator output wire no problem with off the shelf wire.

Start it up, and with the motor running, pull the positive cable. If the motor dies right away, the problem is related to your alternator/alternator wire.

Another common bad spot is the main wire from the battery to the main fuse box under the hood. This manages to get crapped out where it comes out of the plastic fuse box, right at the bend.

Yet another area that gets grungy is where the main wire attach to the main fuse inside the plastic under hood fuse box. You have to pull the box off the fender (or wherever you have it mounted) pop the bottom of the box off, and unbolt the main fuse. The connection will then slide out from the bottom. This plate and connections sometimes get really corroded and causes all sorts of crap to go on....or off

frisco31
August 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I will check it out today.

So you are going with Pusscake, nice.

Brody
August 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM
So you are going with Pusscake, nice.

Yep. I is what I is and ain't what I ain't....:D

frisco31
August 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM
It is a problem with the out put wire. I need to trace or just build a new simple harness. Thanks