PDA

View Full Version : Rampart Range, Illinois Gulch China Wall & more

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Camped out on rampart range as planned, mile marked 17. first morning after breakfast my sister and I went out on trail by ourselves since everyone else was way too hungover to hit the trails with us. Went on dakan Rd, met a guy who was very helpful as fas as telling us where to go. We also went on Long Hollow Road and Ilinois Gulch. it was really beautiful but not very long.

Once we were done with rampart area, we met up with Rob, went to fill up and headed towards China Wall. Unfortunetely my jeep broke at the trailhead. About half an hour later Rob and I fixed it. Got going on the trail, went on a big rock for a nice pic and the jeep died againl. Unfortunetely, it was trailer time all the way home for my rig.

pics coming up

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
some pics from around rampart range

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
first breakdown at the trailhead

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Rob and I went flexing on that rock. The jeep died right on top of it.. this is when I decided to fcall it a day

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
broke down the third time. pulled over to gas station that happened to be closed. There was a guy with a lifted ZJ selling German Shephard Puppies!

Called for a diesel and a trailer and in the mean time, my sister and i went to this cool restaurant and had an amazing pizza! I recommend that place !

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM
picked up some energey drinks from a gas station in the Springs since I still had to take my daily driver from home all the way to campsite to tell everyone else that i am ok and pack up my gear.. got home at 3 am

Funrover
August 14th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Bummer on your rig, thanks for the pics

otisdog
August 14th, 2011, 03:47 PM
What the heck kept breaking?
Jim

Roostercruiser
August 14th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear. First nite sounded like fun

Rob
August 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Nice report, Matt, but we need more info.

As Jim asked, what broke?

Also, do you have a truck and trailer on standby? :lmao:

And what the heck is the name of the restaurant? :)

Fordguy77
August 14th, 2011, 05:19 PM
x3 to whats been said! Sorry to hear about the breakage!

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 05:25 PM
what broke?

apparently, my driveshaft rubbed through my o2 sensor wire causing a short which kept blowing the automatic shut off fuse. i went trhough 3 fuses before i found the issue. no electrical tape, no go :(

Also, do you have a truck and trailer on standby?

sometimes, depending on where I go :)

And what the heck is the name of the restaurant?

I believe the name of the restaurant was McGinty or McGiggity. super nice place and very reasonable price wise. They do not accept American Express though. (had an issue with that) However, the food was great and so was the service so next time i'm in the neighborhood i'll be stopping by again :cheers:

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Sorry to hear. First nite sounded like fun

it was all very fun Roland, my jeep absolutely loved the date with the trailer.

Now that i have the tape and fuses, i'm off to try and fix it! wish me luck cause i'm driving that to work tomorrow haha

Rob
August 14th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I believe the name of the restaurant was McGinty

There's a McGinty's in Divide. Is that it?

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
There's a McGinty's in Divide. Is that it?

yup, that's the one! there's a bit of a construction happening in front of it

Rob
August 14th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks, Matt. I'll put it in my Rolodex, so the next time I'm down that way ...

EldoradoFJ60
August 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Looks like a good time despite the break downs.

If you ever roll with me I carry electrical tape, duct tape, teflon thread sealing tape and blue masking tape. So I have your tape needs covered. :thumb:

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Looks like a good time despite the break downs.

If you ever roll with me I carry electrical tape, duct tape, teflon thread sealing tape and blue masking tape. So I have your tape needs covered. :thumb:

where were you all my life???? or at least yesterday... lol

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 06:54 PM
SO the jeep is up and running as healthy as ever!! this makes my day! :jiggy::jiggy:

Brad
August 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Great report. Bummer on the rig. Glad you were able to get it back home Matt. :thumb:

Looks like a fun time otherwise.

Robert B
August 14th, 2011, 07:33 PM
aww man i have a roll of electrical tape in my truck :( duct tape too ....too bad you didnt find that at the trail head :(

mattzj98
August 14th, 2011, 07:40 PM
aww man i have a roll of electrical tape in my truck :( duct tape too ....too bad you didnt find that at the trail head :(

yeah i know i am beating myself up over that too. btw, did you get any pics?

Robert B
August 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM
well since i dditn do much this is all i got lol...then i camped and hung out for a little bit and headed home when i didnt see the guys that were supposed to do china wall

Heather
August 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Wow, the issues sound like they were frustrating - but great pix that you did get, and sound like great side-stuff!

Michael4rnr
August 14th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Looked like fun besides the break downs and how the tape works. Great pics though.

Jackie
August 14th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Glad you had fun - kept your chin up - and made it home safe and sound!

Hypoid
August 14th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Good report, good times in spite of the trouble!

mattzj98
August 15th, 2011, 12:21 AM
It was a great time!

Brody
August 15th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Glad that you got back Ok and that everything was pretty minor!

Like Bruce, I probably have about 6 kinds of tape with me in my heap in various spots. Good job trouble shooting the rig, especially since the O2 sensor wires are probably located on the top side of the exhaust and hard to see.

Aaron
August 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Rolodex

:brody:

Cr33p3r
August 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Haha Aaron beat me to it Rob! Some of the younger folks on here may not know what a Rolodex is. Anyhow good you got it up and running Matt and kept on being positive! Its cool your sister likes to roll with you, do you ever let her drive the trails?

mattzj98
August 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah my sister loves coming along but hasn't been driving a whole lot. She has a lifted jeep of her own that we plan on taking on the ladies run:D

mattzj98
August 15th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Glad that you got back Ok and that everything was pretty minor!

Like Bruce, I probably have about 6 kinds of tape with me in my heap in various spots. Good job trouble shooting the rig, especially since the O2 sensor wires are probably located on the top side of the exhaust and hard to see.

See, I usually carry a toolbox with me with some basic tools fuses and tape as well as all fluids.. this time I was thinking more camping than wheeling which is where I fail.

And I figured the short would either be at o2 sensors or ignition coil and sure enough saw a shiny spot on my driveshaft so I started digging for wires.. I will post a pic of thay stupid little exposed wire when I get home and on a computer =)

mattzj98
August 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Here's the wire that was causing all these problems..

I ended up tucking it away into the heat shield so that it could protect it from moving parts.

also, on the way to work, my steering didn't seem right. I guess i blew a TRE at the pitman (the only non heim joint) but i am aware that i bought a cheap one, so today after work i dropped the drag link and got a moog tre. works awesome