PDA

View Full Version : West Magnolia Sunday 8/21

Java
August 16th, 2011, 04:46 PM
West Magnolia FS.105, Sunday 8/21 2011

Meet at the trailhead off East Portal Road at 11 AM, there is a sign for FS.105, well meet as close to that intersection as possible (unless anyone has a better idea?)
There is a picture of the turn / sign on traildamage:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=211

Basically get to 119 however and turn on East Portal Road going west, turn right on 105.

CB 4

It's an easy trail, rated 3, a little over 6 miles total with some very good photo ops along the way. The area at the North End at West Magnolia is cool too, it's a small network of easy roads that give you access to many campgrounds and are really fun to drive around, they'd rate 1-2. I posted a trip report about that area with a few photos that are typical of the trails at that end a couple of weeks back: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?13569-West-Magnolia-CR-132w.-Sunday-July-17-2011

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovpBKtwjPE

Java
August 16th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Editors, a little help!! I screwed up the first link, it should be to traildamage: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=211

but I posted the youtube link instead, can you fix it?

Also, it's missing the RSVP thing, probably also my fault. Can you add that?

Thanks!!! and sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hotchef181818
August 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Anybody ever run this trail. I might actually have the day off and take the touareg if there is no chance of pinstripping.

Wind Dancer
August 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I have a lot of fond memories of wheeling up and around Rollinsville, you took me down a trip of memory lane going through the little town. The Moffat tunnel is in this area too, never will forget when arriving when a train was coming through, the big curtain lifting up it was awesome watching the big machine roll through. Someday my memories will turn into real time again, it just cannot happen fast enough for me. (My Hummer is still in the shop, should be done Friday or Saturday-counting me out. :frown:)

Java
August 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Here's a map of the North area, you can drive on 105, everything with a 355x designation that looks like a road, and West Magnolia/132 is a gravel road. the numbers in circles off the 355x roads are all campsites, and pretty cool ones at that. the dotted lines are biking / hiking trails. everything North of W. Mag/132 is non-motorized, most of the trails South of W. Mag/132 are motorized. The big trailhead is where 355T meets w. Mag, and the start of the trail to Rollinsville is at the end where W. Mag deadends.

Jackie
August 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I'd like to go on this one. And Callie - The run is planned for Sunday, so if you get your truck back Friday or Saturday you should be fine. But if you want to ride along, I'll have a seat in my Jeep for ya!

Jackie
August 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM
if there is no chance of pinstripping.
...no such thing as "no chance". Boy, did I get in trouble with Britton when he saw my Jeep after running T33A. (Anybody here good with buffing???):p:redface::princess:

Jackie
August 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Really? (I was just kidding). Please see PM sent in a minute or two.

Wind Dancer
August 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I'd like to go on this one. And Callie - The run is planned for Sunday, so if you get your truck back Friday or Saturday you should be fine. But if you want to ride along, I'll have a seat in my Jeep for ya!

Sweet Jackie! You should see me smiling I feel like a little girl who just got her first stingray bicycle. I would love to ride along with you.
Even if my Hummer is ready on Friday or Saturday, the sidesteps need to come off and I am feeling it would be wise to test him out in the city before taking him to the mountains-just want to make sure all is for real before wheeling him.

Rob
August 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Also, it's missing the RSVP thing, probably also my fault. Can you add that?

How in the world did you do that? :lmao: Unfortunately, I can't fix things in the OP of a planned trail run. It'll have to wait for one of the other guys to fix it.

Jackie
August 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I feel like a little girl who just got her first stingray bicycle.
Hahaha! PM sent!

Hotchef181818
August 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I guess I worded my question a little vaguely. I'm very good at avoiding damage in the jeep and was with my scout. My question pertains to the trail itself and the width of it. I really don't wanna be squeezing thru tree branches all day. Has anyone run this trail this year?

Hotchef181818
August 16th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Looks pretty open but I'm not sure if the street tires on the touareg wil do the whole trail. I'll prob be there but will update later in the week with a solid answer.

Brad
August 16th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I am planning on it.

Java
August 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Sweet Jackie! You should see me smiling I feel like a little girl who just got her first stingray bicycle. I would love to ride along with you.
Even if my Hummer is ready on Friday or Saturday, the sidesteps need to come off and I am feeling it would be wise to test him out in the city before taking him to the mountains-just want to make sure all is for real before wheeling him.

looks like the side steps should be easy- http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29672

love your signature!

Heather
August 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Dunno if anyone will be able to answer this...but Chris and I have to be at my boss's folks' house for a party at 4:00 in Cherry Creek...is it possible timing-wise for me to make that work, even if we head straight there off the trail (they won't be too surprised if we show up with dusty clothes, knotted hair, and permagrins)?

Java
August 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Dunno if anyone will be able to answer this...but Chris and I have to be at my boss's folks' house for a party at 4:00 in Cherry Creek...is it possible timing-wise for me to make that work, even if we head straight there off the trail (they won't be too surprised if we show up with dusty clothes, knotted hair, and permagrins)?

Cherry Creek... fancy... :smokin: I guess if we got you to the North end by W. Mag and 119 at or before 2pm- it's just about 1 mile North of the intersection with 72- you'd probably be able to even stop home for a quick shower. I can't imagine it taking more than 3 hours to run the trail, so if we're all there and ready to hit it at 11 you should be OK... but we can move the time up if you need it, maybe meet up at 10:30 to be in motion by 11?

Jackie
August 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Pack a box of baby-wipes, a set of clean clothes and your cosmetic kit (if you're so inclined) and be Cherry-Creek-beautiful in no time!:princess:

Pathrat
August 16th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Pack a box of baby-wipes, a set of clean clothes and your cosmetic kit (if you're so inclined) and be Cherry-Creek-beautiful in no time!:princess:

I am a maybe. What time are you all meeting?

RockyMtnHigh
August 17th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I changed the first link to trail damage and added the RSVP option.

Java
August 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I changed the first link to trail damage and added the RSVP option.

THANK YOU!!! :thumb:

Hotchef181818
August 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Am I missing the meeting time for this run?? That's gonna be a big factor for me on a sunday morning

Brad
August 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM
We were bouncing around between 10:30 and 11:00. I am open for either.

Heather
August 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Sweet! We're in for the normal planned starting time, and it looks like logistically, the kids lucked out and will stay home for this one. No one will be surprised if I show up in fancy-pants land like Pig Pen (and I don't care if they do - because I'm havin' more fun than them!).

Hotchef181818
August 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Ok, I'll be there. Depending on which ride I bring I'll have some open seats and will be heading up from highlands ranch if anyone wants to tag along, I read earlier somebody's ride wasnt gonna be ready.

EldoradoFJ60
August 17th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I might be down for this one. I'll know for sure as the weekend approaches.

Jackie
August 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I read earlier somebody's ride wasnt gonna be ready
Yeah, that was Callie (Wind Dancer). I offered to let her ride with me. I think since she lives in Denver and I'm In Westminster, I'm going to suggest she meet me in the Home Depot parking lot just off of I70 and Wadsworth. I'm still waiting to hear the time for the run, but anyone that wants to meet at the Depot and caravan from there, post up.

Chris
August 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I'm waiting to hear when we're celebrating my granddaughters birthday to see if I can make it or not.

I sure would like to since it feels like it's been years since I was on a run with you guys, I hear the FR4x4 folks are a pretty friendly group! ;)

Chris
August 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Got clearance! See y'all Sunday assuming I can figure out where we're meeting! :redface:

Jackie
August 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Chris - meet me at the Home depot and we'll get lost together!!!

Chris
August 17th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Chris - meet me at the Home depot and we'll get lost together!!!

Sure Jackie! Any particular Home Depot? Anyone else want to caravan?

Java
August 17th, 2011, 09:46 PM
We're driving up past golden gate canyon state park- you turn off 93 just north of Golden onto Golden Gate Canyon Rd, it has a big sign and a stop light at it. It's where Slee Offroad is, if that helps. That road is gorgeous and goes right to hwy. 46 at 13 miles which goes to 119 a few miles South of the turn for the trailhead on East Portal Road. Here's a link to the turn off 119 at East Portal Road, the Rollinsville Country Store is right there: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&gs_upl=8580l9485l0l10405l6l5l0l0l0l2l530l1481l2-1.2.0.1l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=683&wrapid=tlif131363936644710&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=rollinsville+country+store&fb=1&gl=us&hq=country+store&hnear=0x876bc75334d56387:0xb09447463668efdf,Rollin sville,+CO&cid=0,0,6141276834049897342&ei=v4tMTpTZFoqpsQKzl5XyBg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CAQQ_BI

If you'd like to caravan up Golden Gate Canyon Road we can meet just West of the turn off 93, there is a massive area to pull over on the side of the road right there, it'd be tough to miss each other. Here's a link to Slee's address, the turn is just South of it: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=700+pine+ridge+road+golden+co&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x876b9aa59834c0c9:0x9dadd8da550b4775,700+Pi ne+Ridge+Rd,+Golden,+CO+80403&gl=us&ei=h4tMTrzuLu6GsAL3vc3LBg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

Jackie
August 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Sure Jackie! Any particular Home Depot? Anyone else want to caravan?
There is a Home Depot on your right just before you get to I70 on Wadsworth heading south from Westminster. I think we could meet there and if we use a far south-east corner of the lot, anyone who wants to do a ride-along could leave their car there. But this looks like a really easy trail.

Wind Dancer... you are more than welcome to ride with me, but if you get your Hummer back in time, you should probably consider driving it! If you're going to have issues... you'd rather have them surface here than on a more difficult run.

Chris
August 17th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Okay, I know that one! That's where Pete has me fetch stuff. :thumb:

Pathrat
August 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I have fetched a few things from that HD as well. IF I go, I will be meeting at the Home Depot.

What time Jackie?

Jackie
August 17th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I wish I knew, Stephanie. I Haven't seen a time posted to meet at the trail-head yet, so I don't know!

HINT, HINT!

Java
August 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Sorry, I massively screwed up posting this run. :funrover: We're scheduled to meet at 11:00 at the trailhead off East Portal Road, but that can flex if anyone has anything.

RockyMtnHigh
August 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Sorry, I massively screwed up posting this run. :funrover: We're scheduled to meet at 11:00 at the trailhead off East Portal Road, but that can flex if anyone has anything.

Perhaps we should introduce you to the rubber hose! :D
I suppose Rob would need an introduction as well since he's in charge of this section!

I added the time too! :thumb:

RockyMtnHigh
August 18th, 2011, 02:43 AM
jock you wanna ride along?

Since I spent 4 days up in the mountains last week and will be spending the same amount out there come the 25th, I think it's best to spend some time with momma this weekend. I promised to take her hiking Sunday in Wild Basin of RMNP (she's been wanting to go for awhile).

I will ride b!tch one of these days with you though! :thumb:

Brad
August 18th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I will meet at the trail head. HD is off my beaten path. :thumb:

Wind Dancer
August 18th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Yeah, that was Callie (Wind Dancer). I offered to let her ride with me. I think since she lives in Denver and I'm In Westminster, I'm going to suggest she meet me in the Home Depot parking lot just off of I70 and Wadsworth. I'm still waiting to hear the time for the run, but anyone that wants to meet at the Depot and caravan from there, post up.

I do live in Denver area, located near Alameda & Havana. Home Depot is a great location to meet! :thumb:

Wind Dancer
August 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM
There is a Home Depot on your right just before you get to I70 on Wadsworth heading south from Westminster. I think we could meet there and if we use a far south-east corner of the lot, anyone who wants to do a ride-along could leave their car there. But this looks like a really easy trail.

Wind Dancer... you are more than welcome to ride with me, but if you get your Hummer back in time, you should probably consider driving it! If you're going to have issues... you'd rather have them surface here than on a more difficult run.

I am not really sure I am getting my Hummer back on time (still awaiting for the trickling of parts from Cali & Kansas) and to be honest, I am not desiring to take him wheeling right from the starting gate-after the repair is complete, I need to test him out in the city first, making sure the clutch is operating as it should (building my confidence). In addtion, the sidesteps need to be removed, I lose clearance with them on, which those will be coming off in the very near future-I am so looking forward to this! :D

I appreciate your sound advice though :2thumbup:

Jackie
August 18th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I have fetched a few things from that HD as well. IF I go, I will be meeting at the Home Depot.

What time Jackie?
Does 10:00 sound good to everyone meeting at Home Depot?

Chris
August 18th, 2011, 10:04 AM
jock you wanna ride along?

Jock doesn't do trails unless there are fish involved! :D

Does 10:00 sound good to everyone meeting at Home Depot?

Sounds good to me! :thumb:

Brad
August 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Jock doesn't do trails unless there are fish involved!

Which is why I have been a member for a year and still have yet to see him in person.

RockyMtnHigh
August 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Jock doesn't do trails unless there are fish involved!

This includes the kind of trails you walk also! :D

I plan hikes around water too, this weekend it will begin along North St. Vrain Creek and end at Ouzel Lake!

Which is why I have been a member for a year and still have yet to see him in person.

We need to get together and do some boondocking before the summer/fall are gone and get Chris out there too! :thumb:

Brad
August 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I am planning on camping Sept 23-25 and Oct 21-23. I have both of those friday's off.
I am also going on labor day weekend to Peru Creek. That will probably conclude my camping ventures until Moab in April.

RockyMtnHigh
August 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I am planning on camping Sept 23-25 and Oct 21-23. I have both of those friday's off.

So we don't hijack this thread anymore, send me a PM with the details, both those weekends are far enough out that I can request PTO for Friday.

Java
August 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Pretty sure the VW and the H3 will make it, and based on video I'm not seeing anything I'd call a 3... but it does look nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8RBcKCne78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wbxvr7BPl4

Brad
August 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM
That is how I check out runs, youtube. Lately I have been watching video looking for boondocking sites. :thumb:

Wind Dancer
August 18th, 2011, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Java;155974]Pretty sure the VW and the H3 will make it, and based on video I'm not seeing anything I'd call a 3... but it does look nice.

Yep Java, the H3 will make it. ;)

The H3 is in the shop right now, I do not doubt this machine in the least in what it is capable of doing, what it is I am tramuatized by the nightmare I have been living since buying him (not even going to relieve it again, until I go after the dealership) and in order to build confidence in the clutch, I will have to test it out on flat land in order to trust nothing is going to wrong with it.

The trail does looks very easy, we will see when I pick him up (maybe my trust will be there right away?), which hopefully will be tomorrow. The service shop received all parts early this morning and began working on him thereafter. (crossing my fingers)

Fordguy77
August 18th, 2011, 10:03 PM

haha i am going on 2 and still never seen um in person

RockyMtnHigh
August 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM
haha i am going on 2 and still never seen um in person

And that undoubtedly won't change anytime soon! :thumb:

Squshiee1
August 19th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Hey jackie and pathrat. What home depot? is it the one in old town?
How long does this trail usually take? i need to be back by like 4.

Squshiee1
August 19th, 2011, 06:56 AM
OH!!!!! AND! i can grab my lights from hotchef.

Jackie
August 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM

I was thinking on this store in Arvada just about 2 blocks from I70:

5215 Wadsworth Blvd
Arvada, CO 80002(303)456-4000

Not sure how long the trail takes. I've never run it.

Java
August 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
the length and rating is almost identical to Johnny Park road, if that helps. 6-ish miles, rated 3, two stops for pics of mining stuff along the way for sure.

EldoradoFJ60
August 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I'll just meet everyone at the trailhead. Might see if I can find a buddy of mine who plans on camping up there.

Pathrat
August 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=home+depot+arvada+co&fb=1&gl=us&hq=home+depot&hnear=0x876b88bf184901ff:0x1f855e310a07f8ec,Arvada ,+CO&cid=0,0,8896034033877526341&ei=typPTt2pEo6rsAK2jKHaBg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CA8Q_BI
]
I typically just go down Grandview the back way to Big Box Land. Maybe if we are to be at the trailhead at 11 we should try to leave the HD by 10am? Or am I thinking it will take less time to get there and we all won 't stand around the parking lot yakking?

RockyMtnHigh
August 19th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Jock..ANOTHER Friday?

Yep, more OT for you to pay for Jeep mods and more time for me to gather my sanity so I don't strangle Joe (Mr dump and run)! :D

Scuf
August 20th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Would love to come on this trip with my rig cause it's easy rated but I'd only go if there extra seat if my rig cant make and if I could follow someone up there from the Littleton area

Brody
August 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Probably be a few extra seats. Just show up for the run and don't sweat the truffles....Someone will offer a seat up.

Squshiee1
August 20th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I think we should be at the HD by 9:40, i will be there by 9:45 also.

Jackie
August 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM
we should try to leave the HD by 10am?
Looking at the big map now, it might actually take us a bit more than an hour to get to Rollinsville. Maybe we should meet at 9:30 and hit the road at 9:45? Anyone meeting at HD, please reply so we don't leave without you.

Squshiee1
August 20th, 2011, 08:00 AM
im going to be there at 9: 25 then!

Chris
August 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Roger on 9:30 :thumb:

Jackie
August 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Skrat thought I should bring Big Scary Dora along for the ride (but I think this is the only way I could allow it)

RockyMtnHigh
August 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Skrat thought I should bring Big Scary Dora along for the ride (but I think this is the only way I could allow it)

Someone is going to have nightmares riding behind you with that back there.

My nephews came to visit for a few days and we put them in the bedroom with the antique stuff in it. On the antique beauty stand sits a doll, every morning my wife would go in and find the doll facing the wall and would face it back toward the bed, only to find it facing the wall the next morning.

She finally asked them what was going on, mind you the oldest is 6'3" - 250lbs and he said he couldn't sleep knowing the doll was "watching" him, he faced it toward the mirror the first night and could still feel her eyes watching him so he faced it toward the wall! :lmao:

Wind Dancer
August 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM

:lmao: And I thought I was twisted!

I am not going to make it tomorrow, thought I should let you know. I hope to meet you (and all) later in the future.

Wind Dancer
August 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Someone is going to have nightmares riding behind you with that back there.

My nephews came to visit for a few days and we put them in the bedroom with the antique stuff in it. On the antique beauty stand sits a doll, every morning my wife would go in and find the doll facing the wall and would face it back toward the bed, only to find it facing the wall the next morning.

She finally asked them what was going on, mind you the oldest is 6'3" - 250lbs and he said he couldn't sleep knowing the doll was "watching" him, he faced it toward the mirror the first night and could still feel her eyes watching him so he faced it toward the wall! :lmao:

How funny!

I am thinking Chuckie would give more of the nightmare than Dora. :eek:

Jackie
August 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
And I thought I was twisted!

I am not going to make it tomorrow, thought I should let you know. I hope to meet you (and all) later in the future.
OK - thanks for letting me know. (I hope Big Scary Dora didn't scare you off). She really isn't coming afterall - I stuffed her in a corner of the garage (face-to-the-wall):lmao:

Scuf
August 20th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Is there any adress to the home depot could use to get there?????

Jackie
August 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Yes - posted previously - but here it is again:

5215 Wadsworth Blvd
Arvada, CO 80002
(303)456-4000

Brody
August 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Wow...that would scare me, but I scare very easily. I think good old Frank Zappa summed up all the "Dora" thought when he penned the song "Suck My Aura, Dora":D

Pathrat
August 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I will be at the HD....I have to go to the nearby Petsmart for a new dog bed anyways. Moose had an 'accident'.

Brody
August 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I will be at the HD....I have to go to the nearby Petsmart for a new dog bed anyways. Moose had an 'accident'.

Don't be surprised if you run into LaDawn at the Pet Smart. She said she is getting the same thing for me for the same reasons. I told her to just pick me up some Depends and call it good. No need to embarrass me....:D

Jackie
August 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM
So I think the HD meet-up includes myself, Pathrat, Squishee Chris and Sunshine. 9:30AM.

Did I miss anyone?

Jackie
August 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
OK - so that makes 6 of us. Everyone try to be there by 9:30 latest.

g'night!

Java
August 20th, 2011, 10:26 PM
if anyone has GPS can you download the info from traildamage? Can't hurt! http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=211

Pathrat
August 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Don't be surprised if you run into LaDawn at the Pet Smart. She said she is getting the same thing for me for the same reasons. I told her to just pick me up some Depends and call it good. No need to embarrass me....:D

A good smack on the nose with a rolled up newspaper didn't work?

Rob
August 20th, 2011, 11:57 PM
A good smack on the nose with a rolled up newspaper didn't work?

:lmao: Try the cone of shame!

Scuf
August 21st, 2011, 01:09 AM
I will be at HD!!!

Hotchef181818
August 21st, 2011, 04:49 AM
Having some major issues falling asleep tonight. If I'm not at the trailhead at 11 I won't be making it. Scrat if you see this I'll be in cherry creek tomorrow evening at some point.

Brody
August 21st, 2011, 09:02 AM
I do live in Denver area, located near Alameda & Havana. Home Depot is a great location to meet!

My oldest friend in the world lives in that same area. I used to date her way back in 1970 and we moved to Denver together. We have remained in touch and stayed friends through all these years. She lives in the condos/townhomes (whatever they are called...) about 2 blocks west of Havana on the south side of the road.