PDA

View Full Version : Barbour Forks and Devils Canyon Cleanup runs

sunk
August 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Not quite time for the run yet, but I wanted to get some people interested, and try to figure out a date. Is our contact at the Forest Service still Brant? Has anyone been up there recently, how are the trails looking? Is there anything we can do differently this time around to make these trail runs more fun/more effective?

Aaron
August 23rd, 2011, 07:56 AM
Now is the perfect time to start planning for this. Brant is our contact but for now, lets just come up with some dates and then I'll run them by Brant.

EldoradoFJ60
August 23rd, 2011, 07:56 AM
I'm down for a Fall run. I can actually get a paid day off from work for this.

I'd probably be down to camp out for the weekend as well. It would be nice to run all of Devil's Canyon without the snow.

sunk
August 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
I'd probably be down to camp out for the weekend as well.
I had fun camping last time, count me in.

Looks like Im really early! Just checked last years run, it was on September 18th. I guess it will be really well planned out...

DKDunn04
August 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
I might actually be home to make this!

Squshiee1
August 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
i want to run barbour this time! i would be in, i think

EldoradoFJ60
August 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
I had fun camping last time, count me in.

Looks like Im really early! Just checked last years run, it was on September 18th. I guess it will be really well planned out...

That weekend would be perfect for me. I might take that Friday and Monday off work.

Java
August 23rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm in, I tentatively put Sunday the 18th in my schedule, would you want to do it Sat or Sun? It's nice to have early notice. I want to do Barbour Fork this time, I did Devil's Canyon on the Spring cleanup. Camping sounds great!!

Brody
August 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Just as an FYI;

You might want to have your cute new little ORV sticker in place for this, especially since these runs meet at the FS station and are sanctioned and coordinated with the FS. My thought are that the FS will be more enthusiastic about giving out $75 tickets than appreciative of trail clean up help. No revenue in Adopt A Trail **** at all....

ColoRaider
August 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
The 18th would be perfect, I have all of my tests on Thursday, so I shouldnt have much Homework on that weekend. I would be down to camp Thursday night through Sunday, so I could get there early and reserve a spot or two...
If we can get a rough estimate I will make sure to have some good vittles for a couple of meals....

Rob
August 23rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
You might want to have your cute new little ORV sticker in place for this

Might be worth asking Brant if they're enforcing it there.

Pathrat
August 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
I really want to be in on this one and will ask for special considerations. My daughter and her boyfriend plan on participating as they would like to have worthy volunteer hours listed on their college applications. Last year I missed the annual HOA meeting to lead the fall clean up run on Devil's Canyon. They Board Nazis raised our HOA fees to $320 a month and added $1200 in 'special assessments'. I cannot miss this year's annual meeting, which is typically held around the time this year's clean up is planned. I am asking for a Sunday date, as I think the Fourth Reich is likely to get together on a Saturday.
Thank you in advance for any adjustments that can be made to accommodate my family's continued participation in the annual train clean-ups.

Heather
August 23rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
We would love to do this, too, and a Sunday's great!

Hypoid
August 23rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Just as an FYI;

You might want to have your cute new little ORV sticker in place for this, especially since these runs meet at the FS station and are sanctioned and coordinated with the FS. My thought are that the FS will be more enthusiastic about giving out $75 tickets than appreciative of trail clean up help. No revenue in Adopt A Trail **** at all....I agree that it is a good question to ask, BUT, when you sign that waiver, you become an employee of the USFS, on USFS business, which is a far cry from recreating. ;)

Beefy
August 23rd, 2011, 10:15 PM
I'm in if available. :)

Java
August 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
I really want to be in on this one and will ask for special considerations. My daughter and her boyfriend plan on participating as they would like to have worthy volunteer hours listed on their college applications. Last year I missed the annual HOA meeting to lead the fall clean up run on Devil's Canyon. They Board Nazis raised our HOA fees to $320 a month and added $1200 in 'special assessments'. I cannot miss this year's annual meeting, which is typically held around the time this year's clean up is planned. I am asking for a Sunday date, as I think the Fourth Reich is likely to get together on a Saturday.
Thank you in advance for any adjustments that can be made to accommodate my family's continued participation in the annual train clean-ups.

sounds reasonable to me, I'm good with Sunday the 18th too. HOAs suck, good luck...
I only asked about Saturday because I remembered the Spring cleanup was on a Saturday, and just wanted to be able to plan for the right day. I'm glad this is happenning!!

Rob
August 23rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
when you sign that waiver, you become an employee of the USFS, on USFS business, which is a far cry from recreating.

I'd forgotten about that.

Brody
August 24th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I agree that it is a good question to ask, BUT, when you sign that waiver, you become an employee of the USFS, on USFS business, which is a far cry from recreating.

Thanks for that Mike. I forgot that little part in the lecture we get at the station and I have sat through a bunch of them.

glacierpaul
August 24th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I agree that it is a good question to ask, BUT, when you sign that waiver, you become an employee of the USFS, on USFS business, which is a far cry from recreating.

Thanks for that Mike. I forgot that little part in the lecture we get at the station and I have sat through a bunch of them.

We may not be recreating, but our vehicle would technically still need to be stickered, just as fed. vehicles need licensed for the road. Just saying...

Brody
August 24th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I am curious to see how that is going to play out. I don't have a sticker and a lot of other people don't, either. It would be a damn fine thing to happen, too, getting a ticket helping the FS clean up the trail...and not outside the realm of possibilities, either.

Maybe someone can call Brant and get this clarified.

Brad
August 24th, 2011, 06:11 AM
As long as I am available I will be there. I paid for my sticker but have not received it yet.

Aaron
August 24th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I know Brant has said that Saturday's work best, however, I just sent him an email asking about Sunday the 18th. Also, I asked about the enforcement of the OHV registration on our rigs.

Aaron
August 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Sunday the 18th works for me. Saturday would be really hard. We already have plans :-/

Aaron
August 24th, 2011, 08:22 AM
The response from Brant was:

On doing it on a Sunday: He's not available on the 18th but he will find someone who is...We should let him know soon so we can get someone on the books...

As for Off Highway registration: As far registration is concerned on this district of the Arapaho Roosevelt NF, if you have a license plate that is current, you do not need an OHV sticker. If you trailer your OHV vehicle(Car, Truck, ATV, Dirt Bike, or any other wheels with motors and you don't have a plate) then you need an OHV registration. Bottom line is you must have registration to operate a motor vehicle on NF, license plate or OHV is currently acceptable. The rules also state that the registration must be displayed, so not on your table at home or stuffed into your glove box. I get a lot of people who don't want to put OHV stickers on their machines even though they have them legally registered. Unfortunately, you must have tabs on your plates or OHV sticker on your ATV, Dirt Bike etc.

I can't speak for other districts/National Forests/Parks(national or State) but that is how my rule book reads to me. Hope this answers your question.Let me know if I created any confusion.

I used the term "off road" in my email so he corrected me and asked me to spread the work:

Something to work on with your club and others is your terminology(although I know exactly what you mean), Vehicles are NOT allowed off road. I prefer everyone use the term "Off Highway" instead of off road. I frequently get asked by visitors "Where can I go off-roading?" and my response is always "No Where!" but you can drive on the road anywhere where roads are posted open and on the MVUM. Hope you don't think I am a smart A$$ but I think it is important to make the distinction. I digress, sorry.

sunk
August 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Wow, I havent checked this thread for a day and there is already 2 pages! It sounds like Sunday the 18th works for most us. Any objections? Ill give it a day and make it official.

Aaron, I would be happy to get in touch with Brant if you dont have a chance, I just need his contact info. I think the sign up on the last run was kind of unorganized, (standing around in a busy parking lot, yelling over the crowd) and I would like to figure out a better way.

If we go on Sunday, I would be in for camping on Saturday.

Brody
August 24th, 2011, 08:38 AM
What we did on the last trail clean up I was on, was to establish leaders for the two clean up runs before hand, then listen to the spiel, then sign the waivers. At that point, people were directed to the leaders who took it form there.

Any time you have a large group of people together that you have to get organized and moving, you are going to have to shout to cut through the chit chat and BS. A whistle works wonders, too. So does a gun shot, but that isn't considered all too PC, especially in a FS parking lot....:D

Aaron
August 24th, 2011, 08:49 AM
The leaders for this one are sunk and speedwagon.

As for the disorganization at the forest service area, I'm not sure much can be done there as that is their gig. The get to talk about what they want and organize it how they please. Breaking up into groups after we are done listening and signing papers is ours so feel free to try to make that better.

Zukrider
August 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
count me in, and i will probably bring another rig with.

Pathrat
August 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Glad to see it is on Sunday.

GaryG
August 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm the opposite, can't do Sunday, and diehard bronco fan. Sorry!

Java
August 26th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I was looking on youtube for Barbour Fork and found a "How Not To" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBdX9FnnMc

Brody
August 27th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I love the videos where the drivers of the 4x4 rigs don't seem to have any kind of understanding of what low range is actually for. All of the people in that video had to stop, then shift into 4Lo at more than one point. 4lo is the trail gear unless there are high speed sections on the trail (seldom found on most Colorado trails). 4high is for highway driving when the roads are covered with snow. If you stay in low range (and why not as you are not going to be going faster than 20 anyway) all you have to do is to shift up and down in 4 lo. I don't know how many times I have watched people stop in the middle of an obstacle or hill, shift into 4lo, and then try to get started again. Silly.

The first section of the video is the only "real" obstacle on Barbour Forks.

Chris
August 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
My ADD allowed me to watch about 2 minutes before gettong bored but I did notice they're all 4Runner owners. Silly 4Runner folks...

Somewhere on here is the ultimate "How Not To" video that features yours truly being spotted directly in to a precarious three wheel dance by a former member whose goal was some cool video on BF.

Rob
August 27th, 2011, 09:27 AM
How about a lovely pic?

Brody
August 27th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Oh...THAT ONE! The perfect example of a brain dead spotter spotting another member into a dangerous situation for a "photo op". Should've cut his head off, stuck in on a post by the side of the trail with a sign that said "stupid ass spotter person" hung around his neck. That was one of the more dumbass things I have ever seen wheeling. Not the worst, but it fit right into the 'too dumb to breath/oxygen thief" category.

And, bottom line, if you are too dumb to breath, like this particular spotter, then maybe you should simply stop breathing.

This is a classic case in point where "trust your spotter" also means know your spotter well enough to trust them. Chris found out the hard way on this and I think it surprised everyone on the run, too. Luckily Chris didn't flop his rig, but you can see that it was a close call.

Chris
August 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Yep, that's the one. I have a video complete with audio of the "spotter." :mad:

Rob's winching saved the day. :thumb:

Colin
August 28th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Can't wait for this!!!!!! Had a blast last time, and I need a good excuse to pull my face from my calc book over the weekends here at mines:jiggy:

Robert B
August 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM
ya know i took the same line aiming for that hole but i have waaaaaay more flex so it was kinda ehh lol dropped my tires below my body doing it though so was fun

sunk
August 30th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Sounds like sunday is the day. Did we get a answer for the forest service that they would be available sunday?

Aaron
September 1st, 2011, 12:05 PM
I sent Brant an email..