PDA

View Full Version : MSV/Coney Flats

Beefy
August 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Alright, I know this is about a month away, but no harm in planning early. I have a bone to pick with this trail. :D This was my first run in the Jeep only days after buying it and I bent my tie rod (my fault!). I've wheeled quite a bit since then, so it's time to go back for some revenge. Hopefully someone that knows the area can take the lead to the trailhead and on the trail. :D

Name & Date of the Run
Middle St. Vrain (MSV) / Coney Flats
Sunday 9/25/11

Meeting Place & Meeting Time
Meet at the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons at 9:00am.

Link for directions to the gas station: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4206+ute+hwy+Lyons,+CO+80540&daddr=4206+Ute+Hwy,+Lyons,+CO+80540&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&gl=us&z=16&vpsrc=0

CB Channel

Trail Damage Link
MSV: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18
Coney Flats: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=15

Who's in?! :D:D

Beefy
August 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Hmm....I'm in! :D

Weird that my links above aren't actually links. Oh well, copy and paste works too I guess. :D

Rob
August 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Well, I'm not likely to miss an MSV/Coney run, so I'll likely join you.

Beefy
August 29th, 2011, 08:17 PM
grrrrrrrrrr, any chance of doing it a week earlier? I'll be in Florida this weekend LMAO...I am really starting to dislike softball :P

Bah! How dare you! :lmao:

I'm not available the weekend before that. :frown:

Beefy
August 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
11th? :D:bowdown::cheers::2thumbup::help::thunb::GroupHu g::clap:

I'm not available then either. :frown:

You could make another run. I'm sure people will go with ya. :)

Roostercruiser
August 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I wanna go if I have gas money. That's one trail I've never done

mattzj98
August 29th, 2011, 10:48 PM
if you guys let me do it in a moped..

Brad
August 30th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Have a family camping trip planned that weekend or I would be there. :thumb:

Heather
August 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM
if you guys let me do it in a moped..
This I'd like to see...

Gossamer
August 30th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I might join and take the lead

Heather
August 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I might join and take the lead
It would be great to see you and yours again!

curt86iroc
August 30th, 2011, 07:57 PM
hey everyone! i just signed up for this site literally 5 minutes ago and this was the first thread i looked at! i love these trails. would anyone mind if a Chevy joined in :D

Jackie
August 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM
It could use some widening there Roland.
No doubt... and can you move that rock over a few inches while you're at it!:D

No-can-do from us...

Beefy
August 30th, 2011, 08:22 PM
hey everyone! i just signed up for this site literally 5 minutes ago and this was the first thread i looked at! i love these trails. would anyone mind if a Chevy joined in :D

All are welcome!! :D

That's a lot of maybes! This might be another huge run on MSV/Coney. :D

Brody
August 31st, 2011, 06:34 AM
Sure! Chevys, as well as anything else is welcome. Those are fun trails.

Toadman26
August 31st, 2011, 12:51 PM
just kidding..it seems it will work out best for the masses on the 25th. just take some good videos again..I'll be looking them up while I'm down there..hopefully celebrating a world title

who are you playing with Sunshine?
Some guys on my team play for extreme and they are going down there as well.....

Toadman26
August 31st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Yea they are out of Loveland, Kyle Gilbert plays on my team in Highlands Ranch. Good Luck out there wish I was going, just not enough time these days

Fordguy77
August 31st, 2011, 05:31 PM
I do believe this would be a wonderful trail to break in the new 4runner! assuming its suspension mods are and leaks are fixed by then! And for once there is actually a good chance of it.

Heather
August 31st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Good Chris, hope to see you there!

x2!

mumbai
September 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM
This will be my 3rd attempt at this trail.. First 2 times, had to turn back for various reasons... Hopefully 3rd time is a charm...

mumbai
September 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Appreciate that.. Looking forward to it...

Colin
September 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Think a stock LR3 can do this? I drove it up bill moore but I think this trail is a little more difficult and narrow...

Zukrider
September 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Colin, i would bet you should be fine, though i would definately put some sliders on it. being you have been on the trail before helps.

RidgeRunner
September 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Think a stock LR3 can do this? I drove it up bill moore but I think this trail is a little more difficult and narrow...

You'll have to be really careful in the rocky section up at the top and the water might be above the bottom of your doors.

I'll try to make this one. I can lead too if needed, done this one many times.

Colin
September 6th, 2011, 10:17 PM
put some sliders on it
Ya i think ill wait on this one...

Beefy
September 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM
For whatever it's worth, Heather's Wrangler made it through the first time around this season at stock height with street tires, and so did Sapient in his 4-Runner.

Although he didn't make it through in his 4-Runner without some marks. :D

Kory
September 11th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I am in :)

CodeXJ
September 11th, 2011, 08:54 PM
After looking up both trails I'ma get my brakes bled and get full alignment done and see if i can get it off, gonna see if uncles can go. But would love to run the trails looked at trail damage doesn't look to be to bad nothing to harsh for what I got. :) lol

Beefy
September 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM
After looking up both trails I'ma get my brakes bled and get full alignment done and see if i can get it off, gonna see if uncles can go. But would love to run the trails looked at trail damage doesn't look to be to bad nothing to harsh for what I got. :) lol

These trails aren't very difficult, but they are a lot of fun! Your rig if more than capable! We had a stock 4Runner with us last time I did this trail. There are some bigger rocks you can play on though if you feel like it. :D

Jackie
September 11th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I ran MSV, but then returned the way we came as opposed to running Coney. I heard later that Coney was more of the same - but a little more extreme (or "bumpy"). Very do-able though in a stock rig, but sliders and skid plates will be your friends for life. I'm not a huge fan of large groups, especially on a trail like MSV. Plan for a long day, I think. But you will have a lot of fun and will not regret it!

Rob
September 11th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I'm not a huge fan of large groups, especially on a trail like MSV. Plan for a long day, I think.

We had about 20 rigs last time and split into three groups. It went smoothly and wasn't a long day at all.

CodeXJ
September 11th, 2011, 11:03 PM
when thew temperature is a lil colder my transmission runs better, since this is late september I'm really thinking about wanting to run this. My uncles said they will get back to me tomorrow to see if they can go. I got two uncles with lifted jeeps. So if they go plan 2 more + me. lol But I will request this day off of work, and will leave myself as a maybe until I can give you a definite answer! Besides I wanna get out again before the winter hits, that's always a drag but fun city driving.

I just need to get alignment done, rotate my tires and bleed my brakes and I should be good to go :)!!

mattzj98
September 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Bring my jeep or ride shotgun with CodeXJ? hmm decisions decisions

CodeXJ
September 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM
haha either matt should be fun. :P I talked to my uncles they would love to tag along and said they would be there as long as nothing comes up. If that's cool with everybody they are interested in the club. I have the day requested off!!! I'm stoked!!! :lmao:

Beefy
September 12th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Holy crap, this is going to be a huge run! :eek:

CodeXJ
September 12th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Holy crap, this is going to be a huge run!

It's going to be super fun!! And since I havent met anyone in person it will be awesome to finally get to see you guys in person! And ya both my uncles wanna come they are interested in the club. One of my uncles drives a 2010/2011 Rubicon lifted, and my other uncles drives a 2001 Cherokee lifted. :) I have looked up to them since I was a little kid.

mattzj98
September 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Gee, you've never met anyone from this club..

CodeXJ
September 12th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Gee, you've never met anyone from this club..

You don't count because I met you before you even joined the club :P

mattzj98
September 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
braking my heart bro

Brody
September 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I'm not a huge fan of large groups, especially on a trail like MSV. Plan for a long day, I think.

We had about 20 rigs last time and split into three groups. It went smoothly and wasn't a long day at all.

Yeah, Jackie, you should go. Rob did a sweet job of organizing and breaking the group into three groups. We spaced them about 10-15 minutes apart and essentially met at the 'lake' for lunch. Everything went smoothly with no bunching up on the trail and it allowed other, smaller groups to get past all of us.

The only suggestions that I can make concern the initial meeting point. There really isn't enough room in the turn around lot at the trail head for this many rigs. Nor is there room to 'stop' partially into the trail head to set up the groups. This caused some issues with other trail users the last time. What I would suggest is to meet/stop outside the entrance to Camp Dick where there is quite a bit of room on both sides of the road and to set up the smaller groups here as well as air down. Then space the groups about 10-15 minutes apart and they can simply sail right through the camp and proceed into the trail without jamming other people up. This is a busy trail and used by hikers, ATVs, motocross, etc, so doing this shows some courtesy to the other trail users, too.

Breaking the group down prior to entering Camp Dick also has another benefit as far as communication. With so many rigs spread out in a line like what happened at the entrance to the trail the last MSV/Coney run, it was really hard to communicate with the people at the front and rear of the line to get the line moving again. Taking care of this prior to entering Camp Dick would go a long way to make this go more smoothly.

Rob
September 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Excellent suggestion, Pete.

ccbruin
September 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Im stoked! i ran MSV once in the winter when there was over a foot of fresh snow and only made it to the first river crossing then turned back. And just that took forevvverrr. Just have to get my anti-wrap bar welded back on since it got torn off a couple weeks ago. I cant wait. Hopefully all runs smoothly with all the rigs..

Brad
September 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I have to replace all 4 of my tie rod ends. As long as I get time this week to throw them in then I am down. May do that on Sat.

ccbruin
September 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Looks like the meeting place is out of the way for me (coming from Boulder). I think i might just meet you guys at the trail head. Unless some people coming from the south or find it easier to meet in boulder then take the route through Jameston route from Boulder...

Brody
September 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
It is actually shorter time wise to go to Lyons, even from Boulder, and then up South St Vrain. Both the Jamestown and Boulder Canyon roads, then going north, take longer.

Squshiee1
September 23rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
Well this is going to be another looooooong day. for me last time it was leave my house a 7:00 and get back at 7:00. but its a great trail.

Brody
September 23rd, 2011, 06:07 AM
Looks to be another very large turn out, so making sure everyone meets out of the Camp Dick parking by the entrance to split up into groups and air down is going to be critical to avoid jamming other folks up who want to use the trail..

Just a reminder!

Errinjan
September 23rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
What time do you expect to be at the entrance, we'll be coming up through Nederland ?

ccbruin
September 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Just went out and bought a gas cap, jusssst in case the water gets a little high haha

What time do you expect to be at the entrance, we'll be coming up through Nederland ?

I would suspect around 945-10ish. Maybe someone else can confirm this though

Rob
September 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
I would suspect around 945-10ish.

That's about right. Probably closer to 10.

Errinjan
September 23rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
We were up there about a month ago, water crossing was way down. The large rocks that were covered in June are high and dry up at the large water crossing. Unless something weird happens we'll see ya up there around 10am

Red Rhino
September 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM
See you all in the AM!!!

:thumb:

CodeXJ
September 24th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Probably closer to 10 sounds good haha, Coming from aurora and meeting uncles in Arvada. Gonna be leaving house about 7 am... jesusssss I should get some sleep. Super excited though and nervous for some reason haha

Rob
September 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm going up early (7 p.m.) to meet with Jock. We'll be heading up MSV to fish. I'll either meet you all at the Coney turnoff or back at the trailhead.

Rob
September 24th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Oh, yeah, I'll be in the FJC, not the 40.

ccbruin
September 25th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Wow. I might not be makin it. Its 3am... we will see

mattzj98
September 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM
no point in going to bed, my party is just now over... Be there soon? Lol

Heather
September 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM
no point in going to bed, my party is just now over
Wow, that's worse than "good luck getting up" - good thing you're young, ha!! See you there!

Java
September 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I'm out... no offense to anyone, but I've managed not to have a face to face word with another human being since early Friday afternoon, and I'd like to keep that going as long as possible.

Brody
September 26th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I'm out... no offense to anyone, but I've managed not to have a face to face word with another human being since early Friday afternoon, and I'd like to keep that going as long as possible.

Not going to offend me. I understand perfectly. When I have spent a lot of time outdoors at a stretch, usually doing solo rock climbing, talking to people or even hearing my own voice, is something I never seem to miss much...

Java
September 26th, 2011, 06:52 AM
ha, you're the last person I spoke with! It's Monday morning and still no human contact, I spent the last 2 days hiking with my dog. Picking my wife up at DIA today, so I guess I'll have to talk to her... but that's about 72 hours of bliss up to then. I really have to do this more often. :thumb:

Java
September 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM
i'll text that to her, should go over well!!

Errinjan
September 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM
A brave man's last words. Rest in peace!

Popsgarage
September 26th, 2011, 06:44 PM
"I haven't talked to anyone in 72 hours, and I'm not going to start now"

I know that feeling. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: