PDA

View Full Version : Brands So Whats in a Name?

Cr33p3r
September 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
I know we are all here to have a great time wheeling and learning from one another, and this is a battle that has gone on for more years than I have been alive well more than most of have been with the exception of those 3 really old dudes on here. But what is the big deal with anyone on here thinking that their brand of vehicle is better than anyone Else's? Hell I am a died in the blood Ford Fanatic but I am not out to bash anyone else for the brand they like or choose! When it comes to wheeling no vehicle is better than the next PERIOD!!! It all comes down to two things 1) Driver experience or confidence is the most important, 2) how well a vehicle is setup for the types of trails the driver is going to use the vehicle on.
I have heard some folks stating that some vehicles need to prove themselves to their personal brand choice, baloney!!! Your brand is not any better than my brand and visa versa so get over it folks, this club is open for everyone and is not set up to play favorites with brands! Yes we do from time to time joke around the subject but when it comes down to it think before you put someone else vehicle down in a serious way. If you have forgotten it is in the club rules.

Brad
September 2nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
One of the main reasons I joined this club is the diversity. Hell, I drive a Land Rover and rarely do I hear one of those suggested when someone wants a new rig. It has been amazing offroad and has gone up everything I have pointed it at. Our next vehicle is probably going to be a Jeep because I like diversity in my vehicles. Being a mechanic I also like to learn new things and figure out how I can make them better. For me all brands are good as long as they do not break down on the trail! :D

Aaron
September 2nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
As you know Sean, that's not allowed here (unless its in obvious jest). Please let me know if it is going on and it will be taken care of.

Aaron
September 2nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
One of the main reasons I joined this club is the diversity. Hell, I drive a Land Rover and rarely do I hear one of those suggested when someone wants a new rig. It has been amazing offroad and has gone up everything I have pointed it at. Our next vehicle is probably going to be a Jeep because I like diversity in my vehicles. Being a mechanic I also like to learn new things and figure out how I can make them better. For me all brands are good as long as they do not break down on the trail! :D

Yeah Brad. Your rover can wheel!

Brad
September 2nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Yeah Brad. Your rover can wheel!

Thanks Aaron! I feel better now. :thumb:

foxtrot
September 2nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
so if we can't bash any brands of vehicles, which I agree with, what gives everyone the right to bash on "redneck" wheelers. just because you don't agree with it and it is different? I think that should be added to the rules

Cr33p3r
September 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks Brad I needed a laugh, as I am sitting here in my Redneck 24/7 hat.

Nope Aaron, I was just posting this up as I have heard a few folks off the site doing this about other members and wanted to remind everyone that if they are members it is not cool to do this even off the site especially in ear shot of others.

Brad
September 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Rednecks have their place just like everyone else. :thumb:

AccordRanger
September 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
I can care less what you drive. As a matter of fact I enjoy seeing odd vehicles lifted and wheeling like Trackers, Subarus, ect. The friendly bashing is OK as long as its not meant serious. I get a lot of weird looks wheeling my Explorer, but it has gotten me farther stock than I ever thought it would.

Cr33p3r
September 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
. I get a lot of weird looks wheeling my Explorer

Shayne that is only because its a two door sport! Not a lot of them out there wheeling so it is unique!:thumb:

AccordRanger
September 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Shayne that is only because its a two door sport! Not a lot of them out there wheeling so it is unique!:thumb:

And that's why I love it!:D

Cr33p3r
September 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
If I ever part with the Green Leprechaun I want a Explorer Sport they are cool or even the 2 dr blazer(S-10 style).

CodeXJ
September 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
I grew up around jeeps and my family wheels jeep my first jeep (my avatar) my dad bought for me stock and I built it myself. I really love the jeep. I don't hate on the other vehicles because built right and with good driver experience everyone casn make it through the same obstacles. The reason why I love my jeep is because I love the body styling. I know my jeep inside and out I know how to work on jeeps and where to get many different parts for jeeps and how to use parts from other vehicles to build jeeps. I've just gotten better and better at it. All the other vehicles are just as capable, but I do not know how to work on a Land Rover, or Toyota(I could learn) But I mean like typing thios right now I couldn't tell you how to change your water pump on your land rover.(I'd have to go research it). My family has just always been into jeeps, and since I been wheeling since I was 4 years old I have just grown up to love jeeps and a lot of it may be from looking up to my dad and his brothers as my heros you could say. I could keep going but that's the reason why I'm a die hard jeep fan; though I can appreciate any other vehicle on the trail and love the diversity and learning something new!

Brad
September 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
I think your biased. You said Jeep 12 times. ;)

CodeXJ
September 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Haha!! I didn't even notice.. Maybe slightly biased unconciously! But I do like other nicely built rigs too! :lmao: I did say land rover twice:thumb:

DKDunn04
September 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
There are a ton of Jeep sites, but this is the only 4x4 site i'm on, because I like diversity.

Brody
September 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Yes we do from time to time joke around the subject but when it comes down to it think before you put someone else vehicle down in a serious way. If you have forgotten it is in the club rules.

Yeah, let Aaron or any of the other mods know is going on and we will get it straightened out. If no moderators know about it, it probably isn't going to fix itself and will only get worse.

The moderators DO NOT read every single post on every single thread, so if there is something on some thread that someone posted that caused your reaction, reference the thread and post number.

We would also like to know if this showed up on FaceBook or another forum. There has been a bit of that going around lately....Again reference the link, forum, post number, copy and paste the FaceBook stuff or something else, but do get it to a moderator.

Chris
September 2nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
The easiest way to let the admins know about something is to click the "Report Post" button on the bottom left of every post. It's next to the Thanks button.

Zukrider
September 2nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
bout the only thing like this that gets me is when somebody says "hey, nice jeep". even though it is an FJ40, or sami, or older land rover. or they call it a bronco when its a blazer! grrr. past that, its really whatever. if someone dont like my rig, they can go wheel there own! haha.

ColoRaider
September 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
i cried myself to sleep the other night because someone made fun of my land cruiser not being a capable off road vehicle. I had Patrick Swayze snot bubbles and everything.

I say someone who talks smack about another vehicle type(not in jest) is just asking to be stranded and then rescued by said vehicle ....

Fordguy77
September 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
bout the only thing like this that gets me is when somebody says "hey, nice jeep". even though it is an FJ40, or sami, or older land rover. or they call it a bronco when its a blazer! grrr. past that, its really whatever. if someone dont like my rig, they can go wheel there own! haha.

My broncos are always called blazers! I know the pain haha

glacierpaul
September 3rd, 2011, 06:04 AM
I have Jeepers putting down my Jeeps:confused: or flipping me off because I have a 4 door JK???? I personally love all 4x4's, it comes from being a native of this fine state. There are times in this state where you can go nowhere without 4x4, I live for those days....
And I too, love this site and the members, down to Earth, down to wheel...!

mattzj98
September 4th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Just like Paul, I drive a Grand Cherokee (The Grocery Getter).. people would point and say "do you actually ever see dirt? 'cause I dont think those were meant to go off road.."

so I just tell them, "nah, its all show, no go."

(true story, happened in front of king soopers while i was picking up groceries"

Wind Dancer
September 4th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Just like Paul, I drive a Grand Cherokee (The Grocery Getter).. people would point and say "do you actually ever see dirt? 'cause I dont think those were meant to go off road.."

so I just tell them, "nah, its all show, no go."

(true story, happened in front of king soopers while i was picking up groceries"

I like that! Just tell them what you feel they want to hear, because it is apparent they have it all figured out anyway.

Heather
September 4th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Interesting. Haven't seen this that I know of, but sounds like a bummer. Back in the Spring, after we got Frank but before getting mine, our family of four went to a Jeep club meeting (that Jeep club that's been around since the 50s) to check it out. We were courted by two "patrols" and made arrangements to go on a future run with one of them. Right around that time, Jackie pointed me to FR4x4 (I think off of some Jeep forum)...had to cancel joining the run with the patrol, because there was a FR4x4 run the same day. We've never looked back. What Jeep club? The diversity and great people in FR4x4 gives us more than enough - no reason to look anywhere else (not that there's anything wrong with anyplace else - we just love the myriad vehicles (& peeps) found here!). Besides...Roland wheels a 'BURBAN!! Love it!

Brody
September 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Once again, what brought all of this up, Sean?

mattzj98
September 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Roland's Burban is a beast! :) oh and when i said "just like Paul" i meant just like him its a 4 door.. family suv haha

GaryG
September 4th, 2011, 07:33 PM
"those 3 really old dudes on here"

And who are they? I :lmao:

Chris
September 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Let's find out!

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?14066-Old-Guys-Who-Are-They-Really&p=158633#post158633

Hypoid
September 4th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Bah!!! Haters will always be hateful, snobs will always be snobbish. I have no use for such trifling behavior!

After all, not everyone is graced with perfection.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/Hypoid/Ranger/ranger004.jpg

Rob
September 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM
"those 3 really old dudes on here"

Let's see: Chris, Pete and ... Roktaxi? :D

Rob
September 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM
After all, not everyone is graced with perfection.

:lmao:

Jackie
September 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Jackie pointed me to FR4x4 (I think off of some Jeep forum)...
Yup - I met you on the jeep forum, (coloradojeepclub). I have met quite a few really great people on that forum and several have now joined our group. (They can name themselves). It's also a great club and doesn't disrespect other brands of vehicles - it's just the nature of the club that they keep it exclusive to the brand...but they could probably care less if another 4x4 brand wanted to join in on runs). They also do great events that are very beneficial to our sport.

I think most of us in the wheeling community just want to go out and play and be able to have some friends along to make it that much more fun and safe for all!

Build what you want. Buy want you want. Try what you're comfortable with. And have a great time!

Cr33p3r
September 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Once again, what brought all of this up, Sean?

Pete read the second paragraph of the 1st posting and also posting #7.

greenramp
September 6th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Let us not confuse pride with brand knocking. This place is great because of the various different rigs (I don't use diverse.... ever) but we all have pride in what we own and mine is the best rig there is. The confusion is when someone says "mine is the best" some people assume they are saying "yours sucks because it isn't like mine". Don't read into things and let a man have pride in his toys.

Brody
September 6th, 2011, 06:14 AM
There are very few 4x4 brands that I haven't owned, but I have seen almost every kind of rig wheel. If you throw enough money at any rig, it can wheel the hardest trails around. Almost any stock 4x4 can wheel easy trails.

Are some engines better than others in terms of reliability and maintenance? Sure. Ditto with gear trains, etc., hence all the mix and matching on buggies. I have never understood the "my make is better than yours" stuff or the stupid little "Piss on XXX" stickers, but that is me, I guess. People are going to have their preferences for sure, and do the best they can to make their rig better.

Not defending Jeeps (regular old jeep Jeeps) or wanting you to get upset, you sure aren't going to find any information about doing an SAS on a regular Jeep. Like Rovers, where the axle housing is bombproof, but the gears suck, and Yotas where the gears are good, but the housings are ****, or Dodge, where the manufacture persists in putting in crappy ECMs despite the number of warranties and problems.....or any one of the huge number of things that you see on a rig where you just wonder WTF the engineers had in mind when they designed it. That last bit is pretty damn universal, and crosses all boundaries of makes and models, no matter how expensive or where they were made or even if they were made by hand.

Ask Brad, who works on Porsche and Audi, not cars to be taken lightly, especially when it comes to buying them. I bet he has had some unkind words to say about the people who have engineered those cars. Or, for that matter, anyone at all who has turned wrenches on a lot of different rigs.

Still don't see what the problem was to begin with here. Like Joe said, just because someone takes pride in what they drive, or has a brand preference, doesn't necessarily mean that they diss your rig. Sure I have a Toyota now, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been times working on it that I haven't damned the stupid ass Yota engineers that designed some little dickweed part and wished I was working on something like a Chevy or Ford with a little room. When I am working on other makes and models, I feel the same way. Not every rig is 100% better than another.

Means nothing.Like I said, there are no 100% perfect rigs out there. In fact, I don't think there ever have been. Ya know why? Cause people designed and built them....:D

Reminds of a quote from one of the very earliest astronauts when he was asked how he felt. He said something along the line of "How do you think I feel sitting a couple of billion dollars worth of parts that all went out to the lowest bidder?" Car manufacturers have been doing the same thing for many years.

Wind Dancer
September 7th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Percisely my sentiments your belief Grumpy Old Man :mad:, because I too am graced not by perfection, but Innocence.

Hypoid
September 8th, 2011, 12:02 AM
because I too am graced not by perfection, but Innocence.
Bwahahahahahahaha! Keep working on that kid! :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-s0EvJoeETEg/TdMvj4spdNI/AAAAAAAACCs/Uj1w7LzzhiE/s1600/Shirley-Temple-shirley-temple-4975381-454-547.jpg