PDA

View Full Version : A closer look at taxes we pay

Cr33p3r
September 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I had to go online this morning to look up our phone bill and make payment arrangements since "CenturyLink" had not sent me one since they took over Qwest. So while on there I did my usual and checked everything over really closely because hey they have made mistakes before, but what was crazy is some of the taxes we are charged every month listed below;

Taxes, Fees & Surcharges Bundle Savings State Sales -0.15 County Sales -0.04 City Sales -0.19 Special District Sales -0.06
Internet Service City Sales at 3.75% 1.31
Local Phone Service Federal Excise at 3% 1.36 State Sales at 2.9% 1.32 County Sales at .75% 0.36 City Sales at 3.75% 1.73 Special District Sales at 1.2% 0.58 Local 911 at $0.70 per access line 0.70 Colorado Universal Service Charge 1.08 Federal Universal Serv Fund at 14.4% 0.92 Telephone Assistance Program at $0.03 per access line 0.03 Colorado Telecommunications Relay Service Fund at $0.20 per access line 0.20 City Occupation at 2.674% 0.93
Long Distance Service State Sales at 2.9% 0.09 Colorado Universal Service Charge 0.09 County Sales at .75% 0.02 City Sales at 3.75% 0.41 Special District Sales at 1.2% 0.04 Federal Telecom Relay Service Fee 0.09 Federal Universal Serv Fund at 14.4% 1.01 State and Local Taxes 0.09 Federal Universal Service Fund 0.29 Fed Telecom Relay Service 0.03
Taxes, Fees & Surcharges Total $12.24
Now overall it is not the total amount that bothers me but what the hell are some of these taxes, no one is able to explain them to me not even their employees, I.E.Special District Sales at 1.2%, Federal Universal Service Fund, and the one that gets me the most is this one: City Occupation at 2.674%Wow 1st we are paying taxes on our homes and now we are paying City Occupation taxes!!!

End result is take closer look at what taxes you are paying!

GaryG
September 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
if you work in the ciy and county of denver you get to pay a monthly $5.75 "occupational priviledge tax" :rolleyes:

Popsgarage
September 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM
UUUGHHH. I hate politics. Irritating, ain't it?

Jackie
September 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM
That's a whacky bill.

For your bill-reading pleasure, I just opened my Comcast bill (and I HATE Comcast):

(Boring, boring, boring list...doodeedooo...) Total tax: $14.99 Everything is either City, State or County followed by one Municipal and one District tax that were pennies.

But I agree with you 100%. Pay close attention to your bills, because if you question them, they will often adjust it accordingly.

Brody
September 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM
UUUGHHH. I hate politics. Irritating, ain't it?

X2....and it isn't the people who can't get along, it is the politicians that cause the problems. I have some friends from Croatia who are rock climbers like me. We were talking about all the Serbian/Croatian/Muslim/Christian happy horseshit going on over there and they said that when they go to some of the main Croatian climbing areas, all the climbers...Serbs, Croats, Muslims, Christians...happen to get along just fine...and don't think very much of the absolute BS that politics have caused in their country..

Oooops...probably crossed the line on the no religion/ no politics policy here....

Popsgarage
September 13th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Amen, Pete.:lmao:

Brody
September 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah, sorry about my little political rant there, but I wouldn't waste good piss putting out any politician from any party, of any nationality, anywhere on earth if they were on fire.

ColoRaider
September 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
X2....and it isn't the people who can't get along.....

when i was in Bosnia in 98 I was told much of the same by the locals.

Im not big on much of the BS double taxing that occurs. I would happily pay a bit more in taxes if it could be used a bit more efficiently.
but the double dipping that seems to occur on taxes is a bit out of whack sometimes....

Cr33p3r
September 14th, 2011, 06:52 AM
but the double dipping that seems to occur on taxes is a bit out of whack sometimes

It has gotten that way on tons of stuff we buy everyday now like gas for instance and for those that smoke their cigs. Both had a price increase about 5 or 6 years ago to roll the taxes into the price so there would not be an added taxes when purchased, but then they started taxing us again on those things so there is double taxation. We all need to wake up to what big business' are doing with the charges & taxes and start to get this straightened out at least they should be giving clear explanations as to what they are and in unreasonable then we should not have to pay them!:2c: