PDA

View Full Version : XJ Roof Rack on an LJ Hardtop

Java
October 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
I just finished this project, it was pretty easy. I got two racks, one from a 2001 and one from a 1996 XJ, the difference being the 96 rails are longer and the crossmembers are different, but the track shape is the same so both styles of crossmembers fit. I used the 96 rails cut down about 10", the 96 crossmembers in the center and the 2001 crossmembers on the front and rear, for a total of 4 crossmembers. It took (10) 5/8" x 1/4" bolts with washers and locknuts, silicon on all the holes, and I also added caps to the ends of the bolts inside the Jeep. I had to expand the installation access holes to fit a larger bolt, and I painted everything with ACE Rust-Stop Satin Black, a personal favorite for black stuff on my Jeep. The only thing I screwed up was the mounting position, I intended it to fit with the moulded in rails on the top, but I cut everything, left town, came back 3 days later and put it on, forgetting to space it up from the back of the top. So it is on about 1" further to the rear than I wanted, purely pilot error. you wouldn't know it if I didn't say it, but I see it everytime I look at it... I'm going to add two boat cleats to the front and rear with backing plates as well for tie-down spots whcih will make that irrelevant anyway. I want to carry my inflatable kayaks inflated on top in the summer, and my skis in the winter, so I'll soon be shopping for rooftop carriers. I also have two large duffels that will fit nicely on it.

Brody
October 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
That's pretty sweet! Looks factory and I bet that you are going to get "Wow. Where did you get the roof rack?" quite a bit. you ought to just say "Chrysler Jeep". After all, you wouldn't be wrong.....

Kory
October 2nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
That looks really good.. Want to make me one? ;)

Beefy
October 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
That looks great and very functional too! Nice work!!

Brody
October 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
I like seeing recycled FR members stuff making the rounds....

Newb Tourist(Jessee) now has a couple of Heather's older new to her poly control arm bushings replacing the two middle body mount bushings on his 2000 something 4 Runner. I was under there the other day after replacing the lower ball joints and noticed that both middle body mounts were missing the large main piece. Go figure. Nothing else was bad. Heather's old mounts were not only the perfect size height wise, but the perfect size to slide over the Yota bushing....

Heather
October 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Very cool, Paul!!

KnuckleHead
October 2nd, 2011, 08:04 PM
looks good,

Popsgarage
October 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Looks better than factory. Sweet mod. Great idea.

Cr33p3r
October 2nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
That is a good idea of combing two to make one factory looking rack, Nice Job!

Java
October 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
That looks really good.. Want to make me one? ;)

I'd be glad to help out if you want one, it was an easy job. first step get racks- I posted a wanted ad on CL for an XJ rack and had 3 offers, one for free, within 6 hours. I spent about $15.00 at ACE for fasteners and paint.

Kory
October 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'd be glad to help out if you want one, it was an easy job. first step get racks- I posted a wanted ad on CL for an XJ rack and had 3 offers, one for free, within 6 hours. I spent about $15.00 at ACE for fasteners and paint.

Thank you! I may take you up on that one day. There are a ton of things I want for my Jeep but a roof rack is towards the bottom of the list at the moment. But when and If I get to that part of the list I will get ahold of you!

jesse05lj
October 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM
It is a funy thing that I bought the LJ for 2 reasons one that the extra cargo room is much needed and the longer wheel base is nice off-road. I thought the extra cargo room would be enough but it's not. Im going to end up adding a cargo rack to my LJ eventually but its not top of my needs! But it looks nice!

Java
October 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
So far I've been OK with the extra room on trips, but with the dog in the back too it gets pretty tight. Just going around town, taking my dog hiking or even the Home depot I love it. The ride quality is awesome too, on and off the road, and hill climbs / descents are a totally different experience than my last Jeep. It looks like Jeep will be coming out with a JK-based pickup in the next year or two, that would really be perfect.

jesse05lj
October 5th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I ushally have enogh room excpt when i go camping. me the wife and the dog and all the camping stuff is a tight fit!