PDA

View Full Version : 4th annual transmission pulling day

scout man
October 6th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Ok, so not really, but this IS the 4th or 5th time I have pulled this. I will be out in the driveway pulling my transmission and taking it apart tomorrow (friday) to figure out what parts I need to order. I have done this myself before, so I don't necessarily need to have a second person, but if anyone is bored, wanting to get dirty, or wanting to learn a thing or two about transmissions, I would certainly welcome the company! Unfortunately I dont live near many of you anymore, but if you want to take the drive out to Elizabeth, let me know!!

Brad
October 7th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I would come out just to watch, but as you know... Work. :frown:

Popsgarage
October 7th, 2011, 08:45 PM
How'd it go. Would have loved to come by, but as Brad says..... Work.:frown:

Patrolman
October 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Yeah, work sucks. Pulling a transmission any day beats work.

Popsgarage
October 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Amen to that, Jeff.

scout man
October 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
the pulling part went just fine. Unfortunately the tearing it apart did not, for two reasons. Reason #1, I opened it up to confirm my beleifs that it is a later model tranny than all the others I have owned. All this really means is there are 3 parts that are not interchangable with my spares. one of those three parts is the tail shaft, which is the one part I needed to change out. Also found a few other perculiar problems in the tranny which leads me to beleive that the rebuild done on it by the previous owners shop was not a very good one. Despite that, most parts were still in very good shape. Problem #2, I am ashamed to admit I could not for the life of me get the second planetary to come out. According to my memory, and the manual, it should just come out. I spent a few hours on it and could not get it out, or find what is keeping it in. Fortunately, it doesnt really matter, because I dont have a compatible tail shaft to put back in anyways. I am picking up another earlier model tranny and tcase tomorrow that is supposed to be functional. Hopefully it is, if not, I will at least have the correct parts to fix it!

Brad
October 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Well done! :thumb: