PDA

View Full Version : CB Noise.

Squshiee1
October 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Ok, i have a question about my cb.

i re mounted my cb antenna because i was getting some feedback off of my engine, brakes and windows, and sometimes my stereo. So i remounted the antenna and its not as bad, but now people can hear me but i can RARELY hear them and i am still getting noise, i tried adjusting my squelch but it doesn't really work. and ideas???

maybe a new antenna? My current one is only 24"

Robert B
October 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
i dont know tons about them but i got mine crystal clear so a few Qs.....how is it mounted ???? how far above the truck does the antenna stick up ??? you get noise from engine brakes etc real bad?? my CB is mounted 2 inches frommy stereo and the cable follows my speaker cables but i get nothing there and my motor only makes the tiniest bit if noise i can barely hear with my squelch turned off so i turn that on just a little and its silent............. so i am also thinking not wired well or have major ground problems.....oh and did you get it tuned with and SWR meter ??

i will try to get pics of mine tomorrow

Brad
October 7th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Sounds like your power source is wrong. Where did you get power and ground from?

Brody
October 7th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I was going to say ground source, but either the power or the ground could be the problem. Probably better to try to pull from a non 'key on' source and be sure not to piggyback off of the radio, wiper or other power.

Squshiee1
October 7th, 2011, 08:12 AM
ok, thanks Chris.

Well i mounted it on he left side of my hood, but i have never had problems with it before, and just 3 days ago it was getting everything crystal clear.
i have the power hooked up to the cigarette lighter thing. but i haven't changed anything between the day it was clear and the day it was picking everything up.

And it is pretty loud, the sound is louder than the talking.

Squshiee1
October 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM
am i supposed to ground it? i thought it was pre grounded, if not i can work on it right now, do i just run a ground wire from the antenna to a good ground?

96blkbeauty
October 7th, 2011, 11:33 AM
So you have a connector that just plugs into the cigarette lighter? Thats where you're power is coming from? If so, I believe it should already be grounded. Could be mistaken though. Is there a power and ground wire running to the connector?

Otherwise, the CB itself needs to be grounded. I have my power coming straight from my battery, and its grounded somewhere inside the engine compartment. I get a little noise, but its not bad.

My CB and antenna have also been professionally peaked and tuned. Been a few years though, and the CB has moved back and forth between my trucks a couple times so I might need to do it again.

trailfiend
October 31st, 2011, 10:49 AM
I don't know if this will help you, but while I'm researching putting in a CB (about all I can do until I get a job) and found this on tuning your antenna with a SWR/power meter, I honestly thought you'd just connect all the wires and be good to go, I didn't entirely understand the point of the antennas with adjustable tips.

Link here: http://www.stu-offroad.com/cb/cb_install-2.htm

My CB and antenna have also been professionally peaked and tuned.

Where'd you get them tuned, James?

Fordguy77
October 31st, 2011, 02:23 PM
If you do not run a independent power source your almost always going to hear residual feedback from whatever you tied into. My CB and Radio are tied in together on the same power. And for the most part i have never had feedback issues other than the occasional sound or too when i am switching modes on the radio with the cb on. I know a lot of people who have tied in on lighters/ignition and such, and they all have a good deal of feedback fallowing the waves in voltage as the alternator goes up and down with the motor, and every single other electrical device in operation within the car.

jesse05lj
November 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
did you sand down the area you mounted the anrenna to so that it gets a good connection?

sunk
January 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM
If you still need to tune your cb stop by and I can get you squared away. I can also fix the noise problem. It is usually caused from a bad power source or noisy ground.

I would be happy to help out anyone else that would like to have their cb antenna tuned.

Michael4rnr
January 5th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Sunk I need mine tuned at some point. I have the new 3 foot firestix antena. Would you be able to help me?