PDA

View Full Version : Sticky seats

Popsgarage
October 27th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Getting tired of driving to work on the old worn out seats in the daughters S-10 pickup, so it's time to get the new ones in that I got from Robby. The drivers side first, of course. Started this last Sunday. Just now got time to post it up.

Going from this,
to this.
Factory stuff doesn't fit the new seats very well, so I'll cut off the factory mounting tabs and weld 'em to the rails the new seats came with.
Take some measurements from the factory brackets and take the mounting tabs I cut off, clamp 'em into place and burn 'em on.
And the drivers side in-board seat rail is done except for paint. Will do that after i finish the drivers side out-board rail.

Popsgarage
October 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Now that the in-board rail is done, time to move on to the out-board rail.

1. Gotta make this fit this, and it's gotta follow the offset. GM couldn't just put the bolt locations right above each other.
2. Measure how far off center the factory bracket sits.
3. Cut and flip the factory bracket and weld an extra piece of flat stock to make it a little wider and burn it onto the new slide.
4. The rear mount for the out-board slide needed to sit as close to the side of the slide as possible so,
5. it gets trimmed down about 1/8 of an inch.
6. Since it needs to sit off to the side of the slide I needed to bridge the distance with some flat plate.
7. After market slides bolt right on.
8. and the new seats fit like a glove and make it feel like a slot car.
9. Getting in and out of the drivers side will be tight until I get to the junkyard to pull and install a tilt column out of an S-10 Blazer.
10. A huge thanks goes out to Robby (ColoRaider) for giving me a great deal on the seats. THANKS.:thumb::thumb:
11. Paint and the passenger side will have to wait until this Sunday.

Rob
October 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Looking good, Jon.

Pathrat
October 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Nice looking seats. DrOldUnit is quite a connoisseur of nice, comfy plush seats. If he is impressed, you should be too. :D

I always like seeing when people can fix, modify and adapt with power tools. Pretty slick.

Mporter
October 27th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Those the ones from ColoRaider?

Cr33p3r
October 28th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Turned out good Jon, that is what I had to do to the Diahatsu seats i did on the Ranger. Let me know how comfy they are!

Brody
October 28th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Nice! And isn't messing with seat brackets just the grandest thing? Seat stuff never seems to be easy, though I did luck out with the black thing when I put Rodeo seats in it. The front dip down on the brackets worked well and I only had to drill some new holes for the back mounts. one of the front holes on both outer sides of the front didn't line up, so I did the whack and burn on it. One of the easiest swaps I have done.

Stephen
October 28th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Nice work! :thumb:

And interesting thread title! :D

Rob
October 28th, 2011, 12:36 PM
And interesting thread title!
:lmao: Yeah, I thought it was going to be about seat cleaning (or something else).

Popsgarage
October 28th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, Robby gave me a hell of a deal!:thumb:

Popsgarage
October 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I thought it was going to be about seat cleaning (or something else).

Nah, it's because I can throw it into a corner and I stay put.:D

Beefy
October 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Nice work!!