PDA

View Full Version : so annoying

scout man
October 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Aparently it is impossible to get someone in Elizabeth, Co to plug in an ODBII scanner and read a check engine light. The local NAPA is awesome, I can walk in and buy 1975 scout parts off the shelf, and they have had every part I have ever asked them for in stock, yet they dont do code readings like every other auto parts store in the world. Stop at the 5 repair shops in town too, and only one of them would do it for me at all, and they wanted $50 to read a damn code!!! I told the guy no, Ill just buy my own reader for that price, and he said yea, he understood, but his is a $6k. Well thats fine, but I only need it to do $5 worth of scanning! So obnoxious. thats allm just had to vent.

mattzj98
October 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM
just drive 10 min to Parker, they will just let you have the scanner and you can do it yourself. Unless you didn't know how, then theyd do it..

Fordguy77
October 28th, 2011, 06:02 PM
That's the very reason I ended up buying a scanner. Mine does obd1 and obd2. If you need I can try and get it out that way for you

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Patrolman
October 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Ditto. I didn't buy one since there are multiple shops near me that have them, but my parents who are on the road a lot, bought one. Reads OBD I and II. It wasn't terribly expensive and works super slick.

Patrolman
October 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Or go even cheaper for $10 and get software/cable for your non-win7 laptop. That is pretty cool!

http://www.amazon.com/ELM327-OBDII-CAN-BUS-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B005FEGP7I

Fuel System Status Display current sensor data, including:
Engine RPM
Calculated Load Value
Coolant Temperature
Vehicle Speed
Short Term Fuel Trim
Long Term Fuel Trim
Intake Manifold Pressure
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature
Air Flow Rate
Absolute Throttle Position
Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
Fuel System status
Fuel Pressure
Many others...

The output protocol (connection to laptop) is USB
The software supports two platforms - DOS and Windows£¨not include Windows 7£©
The processor is an ELM327
Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).
Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light) . Can work on Windows Server 2008/Server 2008 x64/Vista/Vista x64 /Server 2003/Server 2003 x64/XP/XP x64/2000 , but can NOT work on Windows 7 .

scout man
October 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
just drive 10 min to Parker, they will just let you have the scanner and you can do it yourself. Unless you didn't know how, then theyd do it..

thats not really the point, driving into town wasnt on my list of things to do today. Problem started last night and I leave town tomorrow and I had a lot of other **** to do today. I think I know what the problem is, but would have liked to see what the code said. The annoying part is that I CAN drive just about anywhere and have it done for free, but out here the only person that would even do it wanted $50.

I have always intended to buy one too. Now I just have more incentive I guess.

Mporter
October 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Steve is it just me, or does that Napa have really high prices? I picked up wheel studs from there right before I fabbed my rear bumper and they were not cheap.

scout man
October 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
i dont know, never really compared them to the other Napas when buying stuff. All I know is everything I have asked for has been in stock. Valve cover gaskets, thermostats, you name it. (for a 35 year old rig)