PDA

View Full Version : I need recovery points on the front...

trailfiend
October 31st, 2011, 11:05 AM
Well, until I can get a new bumper, I need something for when I get stuck. I want to go around to some junk yards to see if I can grab some tow hook brackets off a junker XJ. What/where are the good scrap yards around Denver? Or does anyone have some lying around? Maybe if I can steal the brackets at least off of one XJ and hooks off something else, maybe a Chevy if their mounting holes will work.

Alternatively if anyone has an old bumper or lead on a bumper on the cheap...

Thanks in advance!

Java
October 31st, 2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-forged-cargo-d-ring-96232.html

Brody
October 31st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hey Alex

Depending on where you are in Denver, you have a couple of decent pull and pay yards: Colorado Auto Parts off of the Santa Fe frontage road south of Hampden and two Pull And Pays: one off of 64th and Pecos and the other out in aurora somewhere. I gave Robyn the newer Jeep tow hooks from Jackie's Jeep and we mounted them to the front of here bumper, but upside down so the hook is on top. if you pull up Sunshine 24's member stuff you should be able to see the way we mounted them. You can get really good tow hooks off of most GMC, Dodges, Nissans, Fords. You should be able to get these for bout $5 each. What I would suggest is to look under your Jeep and figure out what you are dealing with as far as mounting them, then go to a yard and see what will be the easiest ones to work with.

http://coloradoautoandparts.com/

http://www.upullandpay.com/locations/denver/default.aspx

trailfiend
October 31st, 2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys!

@Brody... I checked the first link and their "stock" page has a good 10 Cherokees, I know where I'm going tomorrow... Thanks for the info on where to go! I feel like it would probably be easiest/in my best interest to get the bracket off another Cherokee to make sure I don't screw anything up. Unless I get a nice sized plate of 1/4" steel and fab up something to go along the rail where my bumper mounts, allowing for a bit to drop below to bolt a hook to. Maybe I'm overthinking that.

@Java, do you think that d-ring would be a viable recovery option if bolted to the thin factory bumper? I'd use some nice grade 8 bolts and bolt it right around where the bumper mounts to the frame, but pulling from that little bumper would make me nervous. Not that I care much for it...

Squshiee1
October 31st, 2011, 08:07 PM
i believe i have a tow bracket siting around in my tool bag! its beefy too!
It took an F-250 and 10 feet of slack to pull me out of a mud pit, and it took 4 or 5 tugs to finally pull me out, and it held just fine. I was stuck on a stump. you can take it. i have no need for it.

Java
October 31st, 2011, 08:08 PM
I do think it would work- I'd buy some big backing plates, or maybe use the d-ring mount itself as a template on a scrap of steel to make one, the bigger the better.

Beefy
October 31st, 2011, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure of the cost, but you could have Pete build you some "simple" bumpers for your rig with recovery points like he did for Nick's XJ. You can see the photos in Nick's build thread. They look great and are "simple" but very functional.

I know Pete doesn't have enough work already. :lmao:

I put "simple" in quotes because welding is involved and that is not included in "simple" for me. :lmao:

ETA: Bumper pictures on pages 1, 2 and 3 here: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?14276-Nicks-XJ-build-begins

Java
October 31st, 2011, 08:19 PM
I saw that bumper while Pete was making it, it was awesome and he also called it simple. The recovery points were ridiculously butch, you could probably hang the whole Jeep from them. Good idea.

Hypoid
October 31st, 2011, 11:06 PM
The good news is that if you can't find factory brackets on a '97+ XJ, the older XJ brackets can be made to work with the newer bumper.

The bad news is that whatever year you harvest from, it will take some work, some penetrating oil, and maybe some choice words. Make sure you get every bolt, every little bracket that attaches to the main bracket. You'll need a T-55 star bit in addition to assorted metric wrenches. If the hooks are gone, get the brackets. I have an extra set of factory hooks you can have.

I think I paid $15 for my factory brackets. They have paid for themselves 100 times over, if not more.

1) Tow hook bracket V.S. bumper bracket.
2) I was just telling Scrat about that stuck. :redface: It was the first time I used them. We pulled the Jeep's nose sideways to get off the tree, and back on trail. :)

trailfiend
October 31st, 2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys! I'll see what I can find at the yard tomorrow, hopefully I'll come home tomorrow with some hook brackets, maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a skid plate or two, or a bull bar ;)

Brody
November 1st, 2011, 06:24 AM
I also have the stock, but fairly beefy, skid plate that came off of Heather's Jeep. Not bad steel for a stock skid and about 3 times as thick or more than what Yota passes off as a skid on their newer rigs. Yours if you can use it. Chris and Heather wanted me to recycle it if I could.

Let me know. If you go to the 64th and Broadway/Pecos Pull and Pay you are about 10 minutes from my house. In case you want to stop by and see if you can use it:
6139 Reed Way, Arvada, 80003...between Sheridan and Wadsworth south of 64th.I would say to call, but I am going to be making too much noise to use the phone.

trailfiend
November 1st, 2011, 09:43 AM
I also have the stock, but fairly beefy, skid plate that came off of Heather's Jeep. Not bad steel for a stock skid and about 3 times as thick or more than what Yota passes off as a skid on their newer rigs. Yours if you can use it. Chris and Heather wanted me to recycle it if I could.

Let me know. If you go to the 64th and Broadway/Pecos Pull and Pay you are about 10 minutes from my house. In case you want to stop by and see if you can use it:
6139 Reed Way, Arvada, 80003...between Sheridan and Wadsworth south of 64th.I would say to call, but I am going to be making too much noise to use the phone.

Awesome! What is a good time for you? I've got a few things to do to my cargo box project before I take off, so I'll probably be leaving around 11.

Chris
November 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
I have a couple bling hooks like this style - chrome and free if you want them.

trailfiend
November 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
I found hooks, and brackets today, but by the time I managed to get the bracket loose, I couldn't get the bumper bolts free and my T55 started slipping. I could probably just go back with a sawzall if I had a cordless one, and chop off those parts of the bumper! But I did walk away with a front skid plate :)

OTOH there was a bright green stinger bumper on another XJ there. Pretty damaged and loose, probably not a very reliable bumper, but hey, bling is bling.

I also got to meet Pete this morning, and see his awesome truck! It was very nice to meet you Pete!

Hypoid
November 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM
Just say no to that "bumper!"

I've heard peoplde say that ugly don't wash off. I think, if you were to get too close as you walk by, it just might rub off. :eek:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/thekiff/IMAG0515.jpg

I hope to get to the yards this weekend. If you don't have them off by then, I'd be willing to lend a hand.

trailfiend
November 1st, 2011, 08:31 PM
HA! YES! That was it!! I almost took it just for laughs. I didn't really pay enough attention to it to notice that it was welded onto the stock bumper :eek:

I'll try to make it back out there again, but there's a chance I'll start a new job in the next day or two which will make that a challenge.

Brody
November 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Hey Alex

I have both a cordless Sazall and a cordless 4 1/2 grinder that may help. let me know if you need to borrow either one. Both are typical battery units of this type and will usually do a small job like what you need it for, but not much more. The cutoff is an expensive DeWalt that is nearly new and is one of the more unimpressive DeWalt tools I have ever owned. The Sazall is a Harbor Freight one that works as well as the big $$ DeWalt. Give a head's up if you need them and I'll make sure that they are charged up.

Like Mike said, ugly doesn't wash off well. Leave that bumper where it is unless they will give it to you to improve the looks of their yard. That is a bit rough...

Good to meet you, too!