PDA

View Full Version : Shape sheet metal

Cr33p3r
November 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM
While doing the SAS on my Ranger I needed some clips to hold the brake lines to the coil springs so they would not get crushed or rub on the tires. I took some 20ga. sheet metal and cut two 1"x10" pieces and needed to roll them to match the outside diameter of the coil spring and stainless steel braided brake lines. Without being able to get to my sheet metal brake I had to get creative and what I did was use the vise and a 3/8" extension to roll the metal for the small end and the coil itself for that end. Even the 90* bends was performed in the vise.

1) To start out with at least 1-1/2" of strap in the jaws of the vise bend strap over to a 90* bend
2) ( 3 hands would be helpful here) take the bent end of the metal and place it with the extension into the vise with at least 1/2 the diameter above the vice jaws and lay 1-1/2" flat part on top of vise jaw, roll the metal over the extension to 90*s.
3) Using the vise and a small pair of vise grips repeat this two more times to get a full 360* loop.
4) Remove both from vise slightly pull the loop open to where you can put a 90* bend in the long part of the strap.
5) Basically repeat the same on the coil end w/o the use of the vise, instead clamp the metal to the coil w/ vise grips and continue to roll and bend like mentioned above. Once the part has two loops and three flat surfaces you will need to drill or punch a 1/4" hole for the screw to go threw.