PDA

View Full Version : SAS parts list....?

KnuckleHead
November 22nd, 2011, 10:48 PM
So I have just picked up a 91 Geo Tracker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Tracker) 4x4 with a 1.6 8v. I'm looking at doing a SAS front and rear with leaf springs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_spring), on a tight budget. I see a lot of people are running yota axles as they are the closest to stock width, so it keeps it street legal. Question I have is, what all do I need? How hard is it to do? Where is the best place to get cheap axles? I have never done this before and don't want to waste money. Looking to get anywhere from a 33" to 35" tire under it.

Thanks

Brody
November 23rd, 2011, 05:42 AM
You are going to jump through some hoops trying to find a cheap Yota straight axle. Both Yota Yard and Tota Jim (Jims Got Parts) probably have them, but they are about twice as expensive as what you can find them for in the junk yard. Problem is, you almost cannot find straight axle fronts in the regular junk yards any more.

Trail Gear, Marlin Crawler, and all Pro are a few of the companies that offer complete swap kits. Some of the prices aren't too bad at all considering what you get. It is really nice to have the front spring hangers/reinforcement bar as a one piece unit and nice to have the frame locating brackets...nice to have shock hoops and new springs, too..but you can use 80s pickup rear flipped around for the front springs, Ford shock tower mounts for the shocks, borrow a set of the frame locating plates (some folks on the forum have them...and you may not need them) source the spring shackle hangers from Ballistic, RuffStuff or other builders source.

That said, the front mounts are critical, which is why I suggested the one piece unit. If you don't get this from someone, make you own on a bench then mount it on the rig. You want this pretty damn 'money' as everything gets built off of it.

Look in the Yota section for information on SAS. There is a bunch. Ask if have more questions. Happy to answer them if I can. Might be worth a trip down to Yoda Jim's new yard to talk to him. He built a serious crawler using about what you want to start with.

http://www.jimsgotparts.com/Yoda_Jims/Home.html

Don't forget the high steer for the steering.

Also, with that light a rig and that small an engine, you probably will not need the Longfields or anyone elses heavier duty front axles. I would stick with the stock ones until I broke something if I was starting out with something small like this.

4runner freak
November 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
I've got a front axle that is partially disassembled, that I was thinking of selling.
No diff but everything else(IIRC)(hub to hub)
I was planning on starting it at $350.(I'll do $300 in present form for FR members)

Java
November 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
If you're looking for affordable, I'd go with an XJ Dana 30 front and possibly the 8.25 rear, they usually go for around $150.00 or so each, they're all over CL and forums like this, and are durable with 33s behind the 4.0 in the heavier vehicle. Everything you could want is available new and used, you may even find some built ones. You can also get a 2wd Toyota rear or Explorer 8.8 to match the bolt pattern, but I'm not sure either of those would be a significant step up from the 8.25.

Popsgarage
November 23rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
X2 on either. We've got a junkyard run planned for Sunday to the U-Pull and Pay on 64th and Broadway. I'll do some looking but the 'yota axles aren't to likely. Jeeps all day long though. Problem with the Jeeps is the diff drop. Will ad this to my list and let you know.