PDA

View Full Version : Axle swapping my '87 Chevy

Popsgarage
November 25th, 2011, 11:49 PM
While cleaning out the back yard I decided it was high time my pickup got some of the parts I've been collecting for it installed.

1.First, we pulled the old axle.
2.14 bolt semi float.
3.14 BFF. Start by cutting off the old cast spring perches.
4.Replacing the old short perches on the left with the new long Ruff Stuff perches on the right.
5.The old shock mounts and the new pieces that replace them. Shocks will most likely be inboarded, location to be determined.
6.So we clean the axle and get everything ready.
7. While we're here we decide to install the Ruff Stuff pinion guard.
8.My help, Peter, finishing up the last of the welds to the inside of the perches. We also rounded the sharp edges of the perches to eliminate any stress risers for the springs.
9. Next, we removed the 1" zero rate add a leaves from Off Road Design to bring the rear end down 1". The new perches have the 1"-3" forward or backward locating holes built in to them, which was the reason I ran the zero rates.
10. We then installed the new u-bolt plates with the factory pin bolts.

Popsgarage
November 26th, 2011, 12:20 AM
We still have a few things to do yet.

1. Axle in position. U-bolts started. POR 15 started around all new cleaned and welded areas. Will have to clean some of it off to weld on brake line and shock mounts.
2. Eldorado calipers ready to unbolt.
3. While I'm unbolting the calipers, Peter's beginning tighten the u-bolts.
4. All bolted up and back on Terra Firma.
5. Drivers caliper bolted on to the new axle, brake line for that side mostly bent into shape. Need a new mounting bracket for the flex line to hard line junction.
6. Driveshaft bolted to the pinion, with new pinion guard in place.
7. Had forgotten the full floater was shorter than the semi floater by about 1 1/2". When the doubler goes in I'll address this problem with a trip to see Bill at Englewood Driveshaft. For now it'll get me back on the road.

Tomorrow we'll finish the rear end and start on the GM 10 bolt to Dana 60 swap.

Brody
November 26th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Sweet! Nice to see pictures of the progress!

glacierpaul
November 26th, 2011, 05:32 AM
If I only had some of you guy's for neighbors.....Nice Jonathan!

Popsgarage
November 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM
BTW, these axles will be in the for sale section soon. Rears set up for discs, will just need calipers. Front was serviced about 4 years ago. I'm thinkin' $200 for members. Gotta go start on the front and finish the rear. And get ready for an engine swap in said pickup.

Patrolman
November 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Nice work! The rear discs is a nice setup.

Popsgarage
November 26th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Thing'll throw you thru the windshield when you mash the stop pedal.

Cr33p3r
November 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Looks good Jon! Why didn't you give me a call to come by and lend a hand?

Popsgarage
November 26th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Got busy and focused, and wasn't just doing the axles. Yard got some attention. Next weekend if your free, it's engine time. Tuned Port 305 that's been sitting in the garage for 5 years will be going in. That's going to be a much bigger project. And much more involved. Flywheel swap, clutch swap, header swap, exhaust swap, cats and mufflers, computer swap, sort out the engine control harness, swap the engine mounts, hook up the electric fans I might find tomorrow, build a bracket for the York compressor that's been sitting in the shed for 4 years, swap out the steering box for the ORD crossover steering, install the u-joint straps on the front driveshaft, and any miscellaneous things I've forgotten. Was saving the favor 'till the big project was ready. And my friend wanted to pay off some parts he owes me for. So I worked him like a dog.

Cr33p3r
November 27th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Sounds like a ton of stuff for one weekend, but let me know what time you want to start and I should be able to be there so far nothing is planned as far as I know. Just thought about this do you plan on shortening that thing or leaving it a long bed?

Popsgarage
November 27th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Crew cab, shorten the front of the bed for it, and bob the back just behind the rear shackles. Kinda like ORD's cousin Willard. But with a pickup bed.

Cr33p3r
November 27th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Here is a pic of Willard before they got rid of the bed.

Popsgarage
November 27th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Just about like that but with about 12" to 18" off the back of the bed. I love that rig!!!

Popsgarage
November 27th, 2011, 01:17 AM
So, today we finished the brake line tabs and other caliper on the rear axle and started the 60 swap.

1. Got the rear hard line to braided line tabs welded on and painted with some POR 15 and installed the last caliper.
2. Going from this,
3. to this. GM 10 bolt to Dana 60.
4. Replacing the factory spring cap with
5. ORD's high steer arm with built in spring cap.
6. Installing the new ARP arm studs that come with the kit.
7. Little bit of thread locker on the short end of each stud.
8. ORD recomends clean metal to metal surface with no gasket. They recommend just using gasket sealer, so I cleaned the mating surface and used some High Tack gasket sealant.
9. The arm goes on and gets torqued to 110 lbs ft. And then you loosen the nuts and repeat 5 times to set the threads to the nuts and knuckle.
10. I opted to use a Lube Locker gasket instead of just silicone. Re-usable and very high quality.

Cr33p3r
November 27th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Looking good Jon! Is that an actual stud install tool you are using?

Popsgarage
November 27th, 2011, 01:35 AM
13. Rough Stuff 60 cover and Lube Locker gasket ready to go on.
14. Installed and torqued to 35 lbs ft.
15. 10 bolt ready to come out.
16. 60 under the rig and ready to bolt up.
17. The only downside to the crossover steering set up is the fact that I lose the sway bar.
18. All bolted up.
19. High steer arm ready for a grease zerk.
20. Swapped over the steering stabilizer.
21. Got a few more parts to install. ORD'x pitman arm and draglink and a PSC 2wd steering box.
22. And it's finally sitting on the ground with it's new legs and shoes.
23. Anyone interested in a 14 bolt semi floater set up for disc brakes and a GM ten bolt. Both 8 lug. Will be posting to the for sale section. $250 for members.

tonkatoy
November 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM
It looks like your drive shaft is about 3inc to short in the pic.

Brody
November 29th, 2011, 05:05 AM
That's a lot of progress!

I didn't realize that you were going to bob the bed. That will be sweet.

If you decide to have Bill do something with the drive shaft, LaDawn can get it down that way...or pick it up for you...on Mondays as she works in that area 8-12 Monday.

tonkatoy
November 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM
You will like that combo. i run the 14 bolt and dana 60 and cant kill them your truck is looking good :thunb:

Popsgarage
November 29th, 2011, 08:57 PM
It looks like your drive shaft is about 3inc to short in the pic.

Yes, yes it is, Bill. When I do the ORD doubler, I'll be giving you a call. For right now I've decided to move the adjustable spring perches to the front hole. That'll shorten the wheelbase by 2". One of the reasons I like RuffStuff products so much. Dan Fredrickson puts a ton of thought into his products.

pancake
November 30th, 2011, 01:35 PM
That front axel looks familiar :)

If you need some help with the doubler let me know...I put one in my Blazer ;)

EldoradoFJ60
November 30th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Looking good. Let me know when you need a hand with the build.

Popsgarage
November 30th, 2011, 08:03 PM
That front axel looks familiar

That's because I bought it from you, Mike. Thanks for the good deal! And I'll keep that in mind when I do that swap.

Let me know when you need a hand with the build.

Will do, Bruce. If it's not to crappy this weekend we might be doing an engine swap. I'll let everyone know.