PDA

View Full Version : Tire Chain Advice Needed

Gossamer
October 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hello all ! I'm going hunting oct 22nd and hopefully it won't be to bad weather wise so my question to y'all is being that I will take chains, would it be wise to air down the fronts if I plan on using the chains? My thinking is that I should just air down the rears. Thoughts.....;)

Metalhed
October 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I never deflate- ever. Especially hunting.. Most places are miles and miles from Air and my little compressor wont fill four tires.

As far as chains, we use the following rule of thumb-- go as far as you can in 4 wheel drive with no chains, when you get stuck - put the chains on and get out of there.

Jackie
October 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Metalhead - If you had a compressor that WOULD fill four tires, would you advise differently? (Not challenging you, just an honest question).

glacierpaul
October 5th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I have ran chains on my Jeeps and Ford truck for 13 years, mostly to plow with or get to a job, but I will cover up to 8+ miles per plow in varied terrain. I have never aired down with chains, you want the chains to be tight against the tire, I do not think they would do very good with aired down tires, as you want a skinny tire for snow travel.
My rule of thumb with chains, and it does say it on the bags they come in, put them on before you need them. You may (I have, so I speak from experience) get into a situation where it will be darn near impossible to get the chains on, say the wheel is pushed up into the fender.
I use bungee cords(2 per wheel) to keep the chains tight to the wheel as well, not the cheap chain tightener that they sell with the chains. I would also recommend putting them on before you go, just to get down the install. When you do the trial fit you may have extra chain linkage on the front and back of tire, when tightened all the way, either use chain repair links, or a carabiner, to keep the slack tight to the tire too, then it won't keep hitting the wheel well or fenders while driving. I have cut this extra chain off, but since you are going out into the forest, I would leave the extra on just in case. Just my :2c:
And good luck Gossamer!

Metalhed
October 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Like Glacier Paul I would and do not advise airing down with chains. The chains should be as tight as possible and airing down would make them floppy and loose. I too use bungee cords

In my Tire Chain bucket I have a piece of 2x4 about 6 inches long-- I layout my chains in front of the tire or behind (either or your preference) I put the block of wood inside one of the open spaces and then drive the truck onto the block. Stop the truck on the block, shut it down and then finsih putting the chains on. The block raises the tire up enough to fiddle around with the chain to get it as tight as possible. I can have boths sets on and bungee'd in under 10 minutes.
Every year we hunt in Craig during January and the ranch requires chains to travel the ranch roads. So 10 minutes or less in minus zero temps is a good thing.

To the original poster -- I would run the chains on all four tires if possible, IFS trucks have a hard time with off the shelf chains in the front. The chain hits control arms, swaybars, etc. There are slimmer tire chains designed for trucks with IFS.
If you have one set I would run them in the front, if they fit--- CHECK THEM NOW IN YOUR DRIVEWAY when it is warm and dry and you can take your time, If they rub, run them in the back. If you have two sets, run both front and rear
Hope this helps good luck hunting

glacierpaul
October 6th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Over 13 years and I can chain up in under 5 min. Granted the chains are on before snow. We should have a chain off.....:lmao: Practicing putting them on is spot on advice. I run the chains with the vbar on the tread links, the best for traction IMO. I too, have chains on all 4 tires, be sure to have plenty of repair links with you too, they are priceless!

Java
October 6th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Paul- good answers!! I just learned something! :thumb:

glacierpaul
October 6th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Glad to share, I deal with chains for about 8-9 months:rolleyes:

Rick
January 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I like the 2x4 advice

Brody
January 19th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Me, too. One of those, "Gee...why didn't I think of this" things...

Thanks, Metalhed!

Chris
January 19th, 2012, 04:53 PM
On the subject of chains, I still have a set for sale in the For Sale section. ;)

southpaws3
January 20th, 2012, 01:50 AM
IF you feel the need to air down w/ chains either air down 1st then put the chains on, but don't wait till your in a bad area then chain up just like glacier said . i have tires 14-19 wide, when wheeling i run low pressure (duh) i will chain up tires w/ 6-10 psi in them, i take up the slack and use extra bungee cords to prevent the extra chains from slapping the body or steering parts .

Popsgarage
January 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Good to know on the wood as well. Might have need of it when I start my next project for work in Aspen. Was dry as a bone up there Thursday night, Friday it snowed about 1/2 inch but was gone by 1:30, and this morning was almost as nice a day as it was here.

Errinjan
January 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
I air down to around 15 lbs then mount the chains. With chains equipped with cam locks and I use the Spyder like rubber straps to keep everything tight. Never had a problem. I have onboard air + carry a CO2 tank