PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling her

Aaron
December 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Well, I haven't decided yet but I'm thinking of selling the JK. The thought is a few fold.

1. It would be nice to get out of a payment. I don't drive it that much because I don't drive daily. I don't need this nice of a vehicle to put 6K miles on per year.
2. It is way more capable than I need. It almost makes the trails I do seem like dirt roads.
3. There's nothing to build on it. It always runs. It does all I want it to. I don't even look at parts catalogs anymore. How sad is that?

In other words, I think she needs someone more "extreme" :)

I'm thinking of getting something like an old Wagoneer or the old full size Cherokees. Perhaps a JK. Maybe a FJ60? I don't know. Maybe I just build up the F250... Nah, thats too big.

upnover
December 19th, 2011, 04:10 PM
It's cheaper to keep her! ROI, to me it looks like you never get close to what you have in her and should enjoy going where ever you would like.:2c:

Aaron
December 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Wanna trade for an old pos CJ5 that always wants some attention? :lmao:

Sure. You get the payment and the Jeep and I get your Jeep :)

Brody
December 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Well, my two cents, FWIW. Although the older Wagoneers and Cherokees are tanks, come with good axles, are easy to lift, etc, etc, etc, they are still carbed. My suggestion would be when you price them, add the cost of a Howell EFI set up into your pricing. You will be glad you did. Also the rear power windows really suck and are a known source of problems. Fixes are there, and if they work and work smoothly, it is a big plus.

Matt Feeny MAY be getting rid of his sweet FJ62. I'll find out. The FJ60/62s are nice with some well documented problems and fixes, none of them horrible. The inline 6 is torquey, but has no good highway power. Vacuum lines are a problem, so is smog/desmog. Get an EFI one if you are interested. Better yet, get one that someone had the common sense to stick a Chevy V8 in. Lifts put the front shackle mounts in the way of rocks. Custom spring unders or spring overs avoid all the OME happy shackle stuff. Matt's has custom Alcans on it with a spring under. Works well with no rock catchers in the front.

Jeff has been posting some really well priced stuff in his Cheap 4x4 thread. There was a K% and a Ford Bronco on there for decent prices that basically needed a little TLC to be a good trail rig.

Chris
December 19th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Swap with Andy and give him the payments! :D

Seriously, you'll miss it more than you know. Going old to new is easy, the other way not so much. ;)

Patrolman
December 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah, there have been some really nice finds that I put in the Cheap posts. Cheap enough, that if I were looking for some of those rides, I would seriously be over there with cash.

As others said, it is fun to have a rig to tinker with, but on some of my vehicles, I spent more time under them than I did driving them. And the problems I was fixing would be "normal" for a 1960's vehicle. Something to be said for having a newer ride, but I completely understand not having a payment to worry about.

Popsgarage
December 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Pretty much what everyone else has said. There are pro's and con's to everything. In the end, do what makes you happy and stress free. And that's my 2 cents.

Patrolman
December 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I would say also do what you can manage. If you have the tools/skills/patience for an older rig, it can be a lot of fun! I won't ever sell my 1st gen 4Runner. It is good to me and I can fix anything on it.

Jackie
December 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Don't let it go.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Pay the thing off and drive it for the next 20 years. I'm in the same boat as you. The JK is more capable than I need it to be for what I like to do. And I work from home - so it's a "grocery-getter" for the most part (but I usually use my van for that).

I just recently paid off the note, but wouldn't even consider getting rid of it right now. I like 4-wheeling, but am mechanically "stupid", so I appreciate that it came with extra goodies that turn into sort of a "Wheeling-For-Dummies" kind of thing!:p

Popsgarage
December 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM
"Wheeling-For-Dummies" kind of thing!

You're no dummy, Jackie!!!

Rob
December 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
There's nothing to build on it. It always runs. It does all I want it to.

Well, that sucks. That thing had way too many minuses. :lmao:

I don't even look at parts catalogs anymore. How sad is that?

On the other hand, this is very sad.

So you want no payment on something capable and reliable that will get you back to having some challenging fun on trails. Don't listen to Chris about going from new to old. You won't have to worry about that for another 20 years or so. You might want to look at FJ60s and 62s. (You knew I was going to suggest that, though.:)). That's what I would get if :princess: would let me have a third rig.

Beefy
December 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Wanna trade? :D:D

Sounds like you have your reasons and I say do whatever will make you happy! :)

Chris
December 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I guess I need to say it - don't listen to Rob!

If you can get a good dollar for it in this economy it's another story but that's improbable. Not much different than home sales and you know all about that mess.

Patrolman
December 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Sell it and get this. You won't ever be "bored". ;)
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2757527720.html

Rob
December 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I guess I need to say it - don't listen to Rob!

:lmao: When does anyone?

Heather
December 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Whatever you wind up deciding, just make sure the decision lets you wheel with FR4x4 all summer!

RockyMtnHigh
December 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Jesus, first a yurt and now you want to get rid of the JK!

You're not turning into a mountain hippie are you? :lmao:

Chris
December 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM
We haven't seen Aaron for a while, probably won't recognize him with his shoulder length hair, bushy beard and tie-dyed shirts! :smokin:

Rob
December 19th, 2011, 10:42 PM
You're not turning into a mountain hippie are you?

:lmao: I think there's some land for sale in Ward.

RockyMtnHigh
December 20th, 2011, 12:17 AM
:lmao: I think there's some land for sale in Ward.

Ward? You're thinking of hillbillies, I was thinking more Boulder-ish!

96blkbeauty
December 20th, 2011, 02:29 AM
See, i'd rather be making payments on a vehicle where the miles are being kept down. I dd my Ranger 60+ miles a day, and while it doesn't sound like too much, my old job was a 4 mile round trip. I hate seeing the miles climb on it. By the time its paid off, it will be high mileage.

I always contemplate letting the Bronco go, and picking up a car for a DD. But I look at the Bronco as my next project vehicle. With a little TLC, it could be a real sweet rig.

Just do whatever you think will make you happy!

glacierpaul
December 20th, 2011, 05:51 AM
If it is an 07 that means you only have like one more year in payments right? Keep it and pay it off!!! You may very well want the Rubicon to get to your Yurt:)

Brody
December 20th, 2011, 05:58 AM
What people have mentioned before: If you have good mechanical skills, an older rig, builder or not, is going to be a good project. If your mechanical skills aren't great, then an older rig is just going to be a PITA money pit as you will have to pay someone to bring it up to speed...and keep it running. An older rig is kinda like a TR4: great fun to drive when it runs, but the hours spent dicking with it to get it to the "drive" state aren't worth the effort of keeping it if you don't have the time or skill set to do the said 'dicking'.

SCRubicon
December 20th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Well, I haven't decided yet but I'm thinking of selling the JK. The thought is a few fold.

1. It would be nice to get out of a payment. I don't drive it that much because I don't drive daily. I don't need this nice of a vehicle to put 6K miles on per year.

1,000 miles more than I drive in a year.

2. It is way more capable than I need. It almost makes the trails I do seem like dirt roads.

Harder trails?

3. There's nothing to build on it. It always runs. It does all I want it to. I don't even look at parts catalogs anymore. How sad is that?

:confused:

In other words, I think she needs someone more "extreme" :)

Uh-oh, you said the "E" word...:D

Perhaps a JK.

Did I miss something here?

It's your decision. My :2c: - don't talk yourself out of a good thing.

jdawg33
December 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Ya know, Aaron we might be able to work something out if you want the Black Jeep back.. with my expanding family I could use a JK :)

Chris
December 20th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Now that sounds like a plan!