PDA

View Full Version : For those about to swap

Mporter
January 9th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Since I don't have money to afford a V8 swap right now, all I can do is daydream and plan.

For anyone looking to swap a different motor into their rigs, here's the rules and regs for Colorado on engine swaps. I figured I'd post this up since it took me a long time to find it (through google/other 4x4 sites), and I don't want other people to spend the time searching and searching for information.

XI. ENGINE CHANGES
XI.A. For those vehicles in which the original engine has been replaced, the emissions limits
and applicable emissions control equipment for the year and model of the vehicle
body/chassis, as per registration/title or replacement engine, whichever is newest, shall
apply. For those diesel powered vehicles which have been converted to operate on
fuel(s) other than diesel; the emissions limits and applicable emissions control equipment
for the year, make and model of the gasoline powered engine equivalent as originally
manufactured, for the vehicle body/chassis, per the registration or replacement engine,
whichever is newest, shall apply as determined by emissions technical center personnel
or designee and specified on an official AIR Program vehicle evaluation form (DR2365).
XI.B. For 1975 and newer vehicles in which the original engine has been replaced, if either the
vehicle body/chassis original engine, as per registration/title or replacement engine as
manufactured had a catalytic converter system, air injection reaction system, and/or
microprocessor based air/fuel control system, these emission control systems must be
present, intact and operational before a Certification of Emissions Control may be issued.
XI.C. For those vehicles titled/registered as model year 1975 and newer, that were assembled
by other than a licensed manufacturer such as kit-cars, registered/titled according to Section(s) 42-6-108 and/or 42-5-205, C.R.S. and assigned a state or manufacturer
specific identification number, the applicable emissions control equipment and standards
will be based upon a determination by technical center personnel of the vintage of the
vehicle engine. The technical center personnel may issue an affidavit and the year of the
engine shall be presumed to be that stated by the vehicle owner unless it is determined
by state emissions technical center personnel or designee, after physical inspection of
the vehicle engine, that the year of the engine is other than stated by the owner.

And here's the actual pdf file that it's found in. (Part C, section XI)
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/regulations/airregs/5CCR1001-13.pdf

Popsgarage
January 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Matt, all I had to do was go down to the DMV and they gave me all the information I needed and that exact list. Took me about an hour of standing in line.