PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signals

Gossamer
January 22nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
WTF! My turn signals just stopped working ! The flashers still work ! Thoughts ????

mattzj98
January 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
That's really odd.. maybe a seperate fuse ? Otherwise its gotta be some kind of short:confused::confused: shoot codeXJ a PM, he works on XJs a lot

mattzj98
January 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
He's also a mechanic of some kind haha should be able to figure it out.. but check fuses

RidgeRunner
January 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
#1 - Check Fuses. I don't remember if the signals and hazards use the same fuse.

#2 - I'd say check the turn signal switch and connections in the steering column and under the dash.

Brody
January 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Some vehicles have separate relays for turn signal, hazard and flashers. It could very well be that the turn signal relay is out.

Here is a video and linked to that are quite a few other Cherokee/Grand flasher/turn signal related videos. I Googled " turn signal relay/flasher relay Jeep XJ diagram" and got a mess of hits. Hope this helps. Dinners on..gotta go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTOG7J9dvmo

Gossamer
January 22nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
I checked the fuses, all seem ok...trying to get under the dash right now

MelloYello
January 22nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
When my XJ did the same thing it was in the steering column.

Patrolman
January 22nd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Make sure the flashers work? And that they aren't on? I had a vehicle once before with flashers that didn't work. They got turned on, and the turn signals wouldn't work. Go figure.

Gossamer
January 23rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Flashers work , turn signals still not ......GRRRRRR

Brody
January 23rd, 2012, 05:32 PM
Juno

Have you checked the grounding to the turn signals? Aside from the relay being crappy, you aren't dealing with too many things that can go wrong. Of course it can be something inside the steering column, but that is usually the very last resort. Almost all electrical problems dealing with cars (lights and junk like that) are from a bad ground wire/bad ground. Sort that out first and them start from that.

You can get a cheap $3 test light at any auto zone that you can ground, then use to test the power to the bulb/circuit. It lights up, you have power, it doesn't, you don't. Just ground it to something, turn the turn signal on, and use the 'test' wire to check the hot line, usually the line going into the back of the bulb that isn't black, or has a stripe on it, but not always..won't matter if you hit the wrong one as it will only be grounded twice...

Now the ground is OK, you either do or don't have current to the bulb when the switch is on. If you do and the bulb doesn't work, take the actual bulb out to see if it is good and look at where the bulb goes into the socket. It should be clean enough that there is going to be metal to metal contact when you stick the bulb in. If the bulb is good, you will see a very thin filament that spans across the two heavier metal parts inside the bulb. If that isn't there, the bulb is bad.

At this point you are down to either bad wires or a bad relay..

I sure hope this helps. I hate car electrical...Just saying what I would do. Some wizard may have a better idea....

mdb919
January 25th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Exact same thing here on my 99 XJ. it happened about a month ago for me. Just out of habbit, I keep activating them everytime i make a turn. Every once in a great while, it will give me a flash or two before it stops again. If you figure out the problem let me know. But i'm in no big rush to correct it. Its pretty far down my list of things to do before spring.

Pathrat
January 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Turn signals? You actually USE those? I hear they are so very unpopular. I don't even know where mine are.
:D

Gossamer
January 30th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Turn signals? You actually USE those? I hear they are so very unpopular. I don't even know where mine are.
LMAO !!!

Gossamer
January 30th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Well friends,I in the words of Larry the Cable Guy I "Got Er Done" !!!! I appreciate everyones suggestions..I went with the first less expensive flasher which btw was only $17 bucks at AutoZone..I watched the video Brody and it was spot on ! Only thing i had a problem with was the tight area to get my hand in there to unplug the flasher. I just used a flathead screwdriver to start it then it was smooth sailing after that. It works fine now. Thanks again Pete for the video :)

Gossamer
January 30th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Exact same thing here on my 99 XJ. it happened about a month ago for me. Just out of habbit, I keep activating them everytime i make a turn. Every once in a great while, it will give me a flash or two before it stops again. If you figure out the problem let me know. But i'm in no big rush to correct it. Its pretty far down my list of things to do before spring.

Its a done deal...Pretty easy and you should probably get this done asap. You dont want johhny law on you :lmao:.......Mine heep is my daily driver so i had to get er done

Brody
January 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks again Pete for the video

You are welcome! Glad it worked for you.

Ain't it grand having big mitts? I think about 1/3 of the scars on my hands are from jamming in someplace too small for them to go...

Gossamer
January 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Haha yeah the mitts always get scarred up when working in tight spaces!

Jackie
January 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Turn signals? You actually USE those? I hear they are so very unpopular.
Hmmm... you must not wait in traffic trying to drop your kid off at school everyday. If peeps could figure out how to use their turning signals, things would move a lot quicker!!! Nothing worse than waiting for the realllllly slowww oncoming car only to see them turn in front of you when the whole reason you stopped was for them to go straight.

mdb919
January 30th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thats a score then. I'll give it a shot in a few days. If its less than $20 i think i can bump it up on my list a bit. Thanks