PDA

View Full Version : SPRING MOAB!! Fins n' Things n' MORE!!!

Java
January 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Moab, Utah the week of April 7-15.

Moab traditionally has morning meetups at City Market's parking lot 8-9 am

425 South Main Street, Moab, UT

CB channel 4

There's TONS of trails for all levels, here's a link to Fins n' Things on traildamage.com
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=25

to find lodging / camping:
www.discovermoab.com (http://www.discovermoab.com)

Java
January 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'd like to do (some or all of): Tower Arch, Fins n' Things, Seven Mile Rim, Gemini Bridges / Bull Canyon, Tusher Tunner and the Barlett area, and Elephant Hill in Canyonlands... and this is my 1000 post!! :thumb:

Brody
January 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Wait until you get the cool 1,000 post badge thingy. Then you will think you are doing whatever in high cotton! Fame and fortune will be yours and your wife will tweak when women start throwing themselves at your 1,000 post body...Just warning you.....

Thanks for posting this run up with plenty of time for people to plan around it!

Chris
January 23rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Wait until you get the cool 1,000 post badge thingy.

No such thing Pete!

If there was a "probably" option I would use that indtead of "maybe." I've done our Spring Moab run the last 2 years and don,t see why I can't this year too!

Brody
January 23rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
No such thing Pete!

Found it. Oooops...forgot the other 0...but you can tell that it is a coveted item....

Java
January 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
I like it, he sort of looks like Butters.

Java
January 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
still the best Fins n things video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8wF7K9aUNw

Java
January 23rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
this video is cool because it shows the "Moab Bump" at 1:00, from outside and inside the Jeep, a basic rock skill. its also cool because I want to do this trail too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUujJUSzDWc

mattzj98
January 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
whats up with the 2 grands in the middle of a wrangler meet haha.. cool vid though

Aaron
January 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM
We may tag along. This trip I'm interested in doing some of the mild but scenic stuff. Fins is great and all but I had the best time last time on Shaeffer Trail. not hard at all but some of the best fun I've had... ever. I know there are more trails like that in Canyonlands and Arches. Top of the World was awesome as well.

ColoJeeper
January 24th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Fins and Things is a great trail and lots of fun. Is also a good warm up for Hells Revenge which could be easily ran in the same day. Just a thought...

Chris
January 24th, 2012, 11:06 AM
It's worth saying up front that everyone that goes doesn't have to do every trail that everyone else does. There needs to be flexibility.

Brody
January 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Speaking of Hell's Revenge...Best get all your suspension junk dialed in and the big tires:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI

Chris
January 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Yep, Hell's Revenge is doable in just about anything. It's just longer Fins & Things.

As far as getting ready for Moab - if you're ready to run. Anything local you're ready for Moab. I never understood people spending weeks "getting ready for Moab." Hell, if your truck can make the drive you can do the trails!

Just don't go knowing you have an issue - yes Steve I'm thinking of you! :lmao:

Java
January 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM
if anyone's rig is down there are a few rental companies in Moab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP4ji3MXpNQ

GaryG
January 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM
We'll be coming out on the 11th staying thru Sunday. Is there a place we're going to camp together?

Brad
January 24th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I have a ticking in my engine. Need to sort that before I can commit to a trip. Plus need to check the boys spring break schedule.

Dirt Claude
January 25th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Like Chris, I'm more of a "probably" than a "maybe" too. Moab in the spring time is the best!

Chris
January 25th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Yes Chris, I don't think anything we did the last 2 years would give you any trouble. Maybe Heather's Jeep would be more fun though.

Brody
January 25th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I have the Utah Trails book and a couple of other things regarding Utah trails that I can loan you to look at. I also have a one piece suit for you to carry in Frank since it is doorless and near topless. Not that I care too much if you freeze, mainly because you are hard on my feeling, but the suit is taking up space and I have another....Stop by. For the most part, the trail books will get you in the right area (Utah, in the case of Charles Well's books) but they do have information on what you need to run them, rigwise.

About 90% of all the rock climbing I have done done in Utah/desert/Moab/Canyonlands, etc., was approached with a 2WD. You will have to pick and choose....

Chris
January 25th, 2012, 02:41 PM
True, but we can't both drive at the same time....contrary to what she thinks when I'm driving it! :lmao:

:eek:

Java
January 26th, 2012, 07:10 AM
We may tag along. This trip I'm interested in doing some of the mild but scenic stuff. Fins is great and all but I had the best time last time on Shaeffer Trail. not hard at all but some of the best fun I've had... ever. I know there are more trails like that in Canyonlands and Arches. Top of the World was awesome as well.

I had a similar experience on my last trip, we went to Dead Horse Point SP and took Long Canyon back to Moab, it was so beautiful and fun, despite not having any real challenges, that I will defentily do it again. I like the scenic stuff too, and I don't do death-defying wheeling!!!

Java
January 26th, 2012, 07:13 AM
We'll be coming out on the 11th staying thru Sunday. Is there a place we're going to camp together?

I'm planning to camp but I've never camped in Moab before, just got a hotel or condo. If anyone has suggestions...

Java
January 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Having never been to Moab...yet, is it worth the drive in my 2010 F-150? It's pretty much stock, with just a leveling kit and 33's. Are there enough doable trails withour having to stress about beating the crap out of my daily driver/family car/grocery getter? I really want to go!

Sure, lots of folks bring fullsize rigs there. I want to do one easy run including tusher tunnel and some of the Bartlett area, then take Dubinky Well Rd. to 313 to the back side of Gemini Bridges, run Bull Canyon and Four Arches and leave by taking GB back to 313 to Long Canyon, and down to Moab. All very scenic and easy trails- four Arches is on traildamage.com but not in the Wells book, just FYI.

Java
January 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM
This campsite is on 313, if you look in the Wells book it's on the map for trail 15, Mineral Point. I have never been there, but it has a lot of sites and is near some good trails, you could take trails to and from town.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/highway_313/horsethief.html

I really liked some of the sites on Sand Flats Rd, lots of them were tucked into big rocks. along the river on 128 all the way up to Dewey Bridge there are sites on the water that looked very nice, but maybe a little buggie with the water. I also may not stay in one spot the whole time- I'm going alone, and thinking of getting into Moab Sunday or Monday (my wife has friends and family coming to town, so I'm motivated) and there's stuff all over I want to do. I'm open to anything at this point.

Chris
January 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Check out BFE to save some money which was used by some members in the past. I usually get a hotel but would probably rough it in my pop up this aspiring.

Java
January 26th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Area BFE: http://www.areabfe.com/

Sand Flats camping, and a link on the upper right to other BLM camping: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/sand_flats_recreation.html

Sand Flats info: http://www.discovermoab.com/sandflats.htm

ColoJeeper
January 26th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Gemini Bridges is just a high clearance road now and doable easily by a 2wd pickup. No longer get to drive out onto the Bridges, have to park and walk out. The same with Bull canyon below. Is 4wd, but very easy, but you don't get to drive beneath the Bridges and is about a 3/4 mile hike now to get there.

ColoJeeper
January 26th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I would list myself and kids as probable for this trip and am planning on going unless work dictates otherwise. Will be bringing my popup, and may decide to do the campground route for the convenience of running water, electricity and showers.

Chris
January 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Gemini Bridges is just a high clearance road now and doable easily by a 2wd pickup. No longer get to drive out onto the Bridges, have to park and walk out. The same with Bull canyon below. Is 4wd, but very easy, but you don't get to drive beneath the Bridges and is about a 3/4 mile hike now to get there.

Agreed, both are a one time thing - been there, done that.

Java
January 26th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Agreed, both are a one time thing - been there, done that.

I get it, but having not done them I'm looking forward to it. I think not being able to drive to it probably makes it better once you're there, it'd suck to look down on a bunch of vehicles from a natural view like that. but I've never seen it. Four Arches has (surprise) four arches you can drive to, and it's basically a left instead of a right on the way to Bull canyon from Gemini Bridges.

I did Picture Frame Arch last time, that would be fun in a pickup. It's basically a desert road with sand and rocky areas, I liked it. Aside from 4x4, hiking in Moab is amazing, and if you only do one trail I would do Negro Bill Canyon as early in the day as you can (it gets busy).

1- Along the trail to Picture Frame Arch
2- Morning Glory Bridge, Negro Bill Canyon
3- My wife being a good sport :)

Chris
January 26th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I'm wouldn't discourage anyone from doing anything at all. I'm just agreeing that old info may mislead people. My last visit included Chicken Corners which is probably doable in Barb's Accura but has great scenery. Personally we do a two run, one pure scenic every time we go.

Brody
January 26th, 2012, 06:09 PM
3- My wife being a good sport

I would guess that you see the 'good sport' view quite often....either the Moab or the 2011.....someone needs to keep you in line.:lmao:

Jackie
January 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Fins is great and all but I had the best time last time on Shaeffer Trail.

I agree Aaron! X2 on Schaeffer. I ran it 2 weeks after I bought my Jeep and had never been off-roading before. My co-pilot was my 17 yr old nephew who couldn't spot me out of a parking space if his life depended on it! (Not that you need a spotter on that one, but I'm just sayin'...

The switchbacks going up into the Island in the Sky were a trip! Lots of fun!

Fins Is great and I want to do that one again too. But I don't think I would enjoy anything more challenging than that. Too scary!!!

Java
January 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM
3- My wife being a good sport

I would guess that you see the 'good sport' view quite often....either the Moab or the 2011.....someone needs to keep you in line.:lmao:

The toughest part is waking up with "Jahna FTW!" written backwards on my forehead so I can read it in the mirror.

Brody
January 27th, 2012, 07:35 AM
She would probably get along well with LaDawn...

GaryG
January 31st, 2012, 08:53 AM
So, I'm not seeing a lot of organized "Lets go camping" talk going on here, or in discussions in past threads. Having never been, I have no idea where to start. If there's not a lot of interest in camping, I see a Hampton Inn in my future.

Java
January 31st, 2012, 09:06 AM
Gary- if nothing else falls into place I'll be camping on Sand Flats rd, it's the road that runs through Sand Flats recreation area, the road that Hells Revenge, Baby Lions Back, Fins n' Things and Porcupine Rim run off. It's a beautiful area, and some of the campsites looked great. My first night in I think I'm camping by Onion Creek / Fisher Towers so I can hike there early AM before it gets too hot and sunny, and it's off 128 on the way in. I'd also really like to do the Elephant hill / Joint Hike and maybe camp in canyonlands or near Dead Horse. I've been advised to stay away from the places that can take large campers, the generator noise is apparently very annoying and the folks tend to spend all their time at the site so it's always noisy. One of the best things about Moab is the solitude, IMO!! And I reserve the hotel option too, a shower in Moab is soooo nice. :thumb:

It's still over 2 months away, hopefully something will develop...

Jackie
January 31st, 2012, 10:05 AM
I think we'll get out there early on the 12th and then leave on Sunday. Looking into hotels or cabins. We usually stay at the Aarchway Inn because we like the pool area with grills and all, but it's sold out.

Aaron
February 1st, 2012, 05:46 PM
Slight issue.. Easter jeep safari ends the 8th... Could be crazy that weekend.

Aaron
February 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM
We'll probably go from the 11th to Sunday... To avoid ejs...

Chris
February 1st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah, that's bad. I like to go immediately after the EJS because the business owners & staff are in really good moods. Happy it's over and happy to have money in the bank.

Brody
February 2nd, 2012, 06:20 AM
after the EJS because the business owners & staff are in really good moods. Happy it's over and happy to have money in the bank.

Reason we always do our Yosemite climbing trips in the fall or spring...either before or after tourist season. Much more laid back atmosphere, much more friendly....After EJS, you won't have to wait 3 hours to do an obstacle in front of 300 idiots with cameras...

Java
February 2nd, 2012, 07:00 AM
Sunday the 8th is the mass exodus, I plan to roll in that evening or on Monday, stay until I get bored. M-F is the best time to be there, the weekends get busy with tons of other Colorado people. Iheard a good joke there- "You know it's a spring weekend in Moab because all the license plates turn green." I may go as early as the 7th, I have some hikes I want to do there and it isn't Easter Hiking Safari... another good thing about getting there after EJS is the trails they did are well marked and junk free. It's not just "us"- there is always some kind of an event going on there, not just EJS, and good portion of the crowd is just going to drive through Arches and Canyonlands and see stuff within a few hundred feet of their cars. There are way more mountain bikers than 4wheelers, lots of climbers, dirt bikers, atv riders, road bikers etc.., and the hotels are all small so full hotels do not mean full 4x4 trails by any means. Last time I was there the place I stayed in was filled with a photography club, and I know the Boulder Adventure Rabbi is having Easter services there... Moab is a big place anyway, if you stay off the "trophy trails" it's not crowded (in my experience).

Java
February 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Are you guys thinking of travelling on the 11th or leaving the night of the 10th? Just wondering...

RE: Camping- Windwhistle campground is the only reservable group campsite available for that time, and it is tent only in the reserved spot, but around it the rest of the area can take RVs.

If you have the Charles Wells Moab book, look at trail #51, Canyon Rim Overlook, it's on the map on page 199.
Here's a link to the traildamage.com page for that http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=315

This spot is 38 miles south of the city of Moab, but if we want to do Elephant Hill or Lockhart or any of the trails there it would be convenient. There are many other places to camp, that's just the only reservable one that is still available. Apparently in the rest of this area you can camp for free all over, as long as it's outside the park boundry and you bring a portable toilet.
This is the reserveable spot-
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/group_campgrounds/windwhistle_reservable.html

and the rest of the site-
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/canyon_rims_recreation/windwhistle_campground.html

here's a video of it, if you watch that on youtube there are links to lots of other moab campsites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8WLh1zleN0

Jackie
February 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Are you guys thinking of travelling on the 11th
We're talking about leaving Westminster on the 11th and staying in Glenwood springs for the night to break up the drive (Annika gets car sick in the mountains) then get an early start into Moab on the 12th.

Java
February 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM
My wife gets car sick too, we often break up our drives. Glenwood is fun, good choice! It looks like I may be going again in May with CJP so I might not go as long this time, maybe just the 10th to the 14 or 15th. It's still 2 months away, so I'm not deciding just yet. Hopefully we'll get atleast 2 or 3 days of trails in!!

Java
February 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Just browsing Moab options (I kind of have Moab fever!!), here's the BLM hiking and biking trails:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/hiking_trails.html

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/mountain_bike_trails.html

scout man
February 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I am thinking about this by the way, but no commitment from me. Work has picked up significantly sooner this year, so it is more likely I will be working that week, and my rig isnt all back together from last year yet. I wont be going unless I am very confident in my rig, and have a good handfull to test runs around here locally.

Brad
February 12th, 2012, 05:36 PM
This winter is not cooperating with me either. Need warm weather!! You hear that mother nature?!? :D

Cake
February 13th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Assuming we go, and I'm pretty sure we can make the weekend: 13-15th, this is the camping I recommend:

Sand Flats, about a half dozen clusters of campsites, some more accessible than others. Ive been there times where I could pick any spot I wanted, other times not even a spot in overflow. If people are getting in early(like during the middle of the week) then I don't think finding spaces should be an issue depending on the total amount of tents/rigs.

Camping off of Kane Creek Rd: Its one of the first roads you hit coming from the south end of town. Its basically a huge field that you can post up in, better suited for groups. Offers grass instead of sand and rocks. The river runs by it. THe camping is maybe a couple of miles down the road; if you keep going down you get into some "trails" with more potential camping.

I personally love the sand flats area and that would be my vote, when I think of Moab, I think of the sand flats...

this is from our site in the sandflats taken from another campsite last june. according to word on the street, this wasn't even one of the "good" clusters

Java
February 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I'd like to do both these trails, and here's a stock 88 XJ and a FINE CJ7 doing Gemini Bridges and Fins n things. The CJ is really the reason I posted this, it is just sooo right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MPmA0Cl8QU&feature=related

Aaron
February 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM
So, my father in law as well as my sister in law and family will be coming with us. My father in law came last year and had a blast. But since my other in laws will be coming in their stock late model pathfinder, we'll definitely be sticking to the mild stuff. I'm thinking Shaffer, Tower Arch, and Top of the World. They may be hiking some of that one. We'll see what other trails we'll do. Anyone is welcome to join us if they want to.

Aaron
February 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Oh, and given the amount of people I had to split it with, we decided to rent a house. Will still be way cheaper than last year when I towed the camper with the truck while the wife drove the Jeep. Alright, maybe not way cheaper, but way easier :)

Java
February 15th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Good move!! I've been eyeballing this house for 3 years now but so far haven't done it. One day...

http://www.ninemilehouse.com/

Java
February 15th, 2012, 07:14 AM
So, my father in law as well as my sister in law and family will be coming with us. My father in law came last year and had a blast. But since my other in laws will be coming in their stock late model pathfinder, we'll definitely be sticking to the mild stuff. I'm thinking Shaffer, Tower Arch, and Top of the World. They may be hiking some of that one. We'll see what other trails we'll do. Anyone is welcome to join us if they want to.

It seems like the general feel (so far) is that this is not going to be an extreme Moab trip at all, just fun and scenic. I might prefer that, the guy I was buying a rear Detroit Locker from seems to be flaking and I might still be rocking the Truetracs... I'd be OK with planning for easier stuff this trip, we can "go for it" next time. My only must-do is Fins n things, but I'm way OK doing it solo too.

Brody
February 15th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Not bad pricing for that. $200 a week for each person for 6 people. You won't find that pricing in too many areas anywhere. Personally, I prefer to camp as far from people as I can get. If there are showers, no big deal. You can still clean up.

Java
February 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM
It's a sweet house. I'm considering a winter trip there, it's even cheaper. There are lots of places in Moab to take a shower, here's a link http://www.discovermoab.com/shower.htm for them. I absolutely NEED a shower in Moab, the dirt there sticks like cement. Looks like it's going to be Sand Flats camping this time around for me.

Java
February 15th, 2012, 06:48 PM
This looks like a fun trail too, and it's a pretty cool video. If you look on his youtube page he's got some great videos. One of them is a time lapse of Moab that is a drive from town into Arches, and the entire town is seen from seconds 23 to 27, it's that small. He has a video of one of the hikes I want to do too, Devil's Garden, you hike over fins on the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvlZJDL-TD4&feature=share

Jackie
February 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
The Devil's Garden hike really is nice. When I did it almost 8 years ago, I was PG with Annika and at high risk, so I was naturally wanting to be very cautious. There really wasn't anything strenuous that I remember, but I remember getting out onto one of the fins and turning to stone from fear. I had to sit down! It took two people to take my arms and walk me across that thing!!! I think I could cross it by myself today though, now that the hormones are not as "out-of-wack"! :lmao::lmao::lmao: There are so many beautiful hikes to take out there.

Java
February 16th, 2012, 07:14 AM
If you do every spur it's still under 8 miles and very little elevation gain / loss, and now I CAN'T not finish it since you did it pregnant. :D I'm looking forward being scared on the fins, and I've seen videos of people actually climbing up and walking over Double O Arch, I want to try that!!! I don't like shelf or cliff roads in my Jeep, but I don't mind them hiking as much. A little terror keeps you sharp...

Brody
February 16th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Double O Arch hiking videos. Not very good, but gives a good idea. I especially liked the cairn towards the end of the video showing the way the trail goes. I guess some people have taken a wrong turn....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhz0BSUMkk0

This one is better and from a different perspective. I was surprised at how wide the top of the arch was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYPyeCfudxs&feature=related

And don't forget: Be safe out there. There is no telling who may have set charges in the arch and what may be lurking in the shadows..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=MsONpZA8X3A

Java
February 16th, 2012, 08:49 AM
the first video isn't the top of the arch, it's the top of a fin along the trail to the arch. This is the top of the arch, I'll see if it's too gnarly for me when I get there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htk015O1IgI

Cake
February 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Due to work, we can only be there for fri night, all day sat, and sun. I could take friday off, but I'm not sure about her. Either way, we'll be camping, probably sand flats, or BFE(never been sounds interesting) and the mild wheeling and scenic hikes views sound good to me. Just don't break anything until we get there!

Jackie
February 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I CAN'T not finish it since you did it pregnant.
Haha! I know for a fact that we didn't do every spur. At least I didn't. But here are a few photos I managed to find from that year:

Java
February 17th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Awesome, Jackie!! I can't wait!!

GaryG
February 17th, 2012, 06:40 AM
It seems the Sand Flats camping is the way to go. We might grab a hotel for Saturday night just to clean up for the drive home. Are we looking at the Sand Flats area that has the vault toilets, or do we need to arrange a porta-potti?

Java
February 17th, 2012, 07:41 AM
The campsites are sort of grouped and there is a vault toilet for each grouping. I don't think you can camp on Sand Flats otherwise, so no porta-potty needed. However, bringing a portable one might not be the worst idea if you fear cooties from the public dumper. :) I'll be getting there early in the week and may end up in a hotel by the end as well!

Dirt Claude
February 17th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Looks like we're out for this trip. We're going to head out early on the week of March 26th instead as it works better with the kids being on spring break. If it was a little shorter drive I wouldn't hesitate drive drive back for another round with the club. Have an awesome time!!

Java
February 17th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Too bad, but I hope you have an awesome time in March!!! This won't be the only Moab trip this year if I have anything to say about it, maybe next time!

Cake
February 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM
I'm kinda surprised more people aren't coming out to this?

Chris
February 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
It's too far out for a lot of us to commit but we've only had. Half dozen or so on past trips.

Java
February 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
I have to plan my time off about 4 months or so in advance, so I posted the run very early. Brad / Colodisco suggested the dates, I just liked them and ran with it, it should be cooler that time of year than my last trips (may). I'd expect changes between now and then, hopefully everyone gets to go! I've never been to Moab with FR4x4 before. I'm sure there will be more trips out there this year, it's not that far and it's AWESOME. I'm also planning to go back in the Fall and camp off Elephant hill road, hopefully at Devil's Kitchen, wheel the trail and hike through Chesler Park, Big Spring Canyon, elephant Canyon and such for a day or two. There is something really magic and about the Moab area, can't wait to go.

Chris
February 22nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
Devil's Kitchen is a great camping spot! We spent a night there a couple years ago before heading across Beef Basin the the Henry Mtns - 6 trucks with plenty of room. One section has a bowl like room where we had the communal kitchen. One friend didn't want to leave and called it the best place she had ever camped. Nice that there's a vault toilet too!

Cake
February 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
I really love moab, and you're right, come may and beyond, its way too hot to be enjoyable unless you're on the water.

elephant hill looks like an awesome trip as well.

Looks like we'd be getting in friday afternoon. maybe we can at least try to plan a trail day on saturday since it looks like everyone will be there then?

do y'all use CB's?

Java
February 23rd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Devil's Kitchen is a great camping spot! We spent a night there a couple years ago before heading across Beef Basin the the Henry Mtns - 6 trucks with plenty of room. One section has a bowl like room where we had the communal kitchen. One friend didn't want to leave and called it the best place she had ever camped. Nice that there's a vault toilet too!

Everything I read about it, everyone says the same thing, it's awesome. I have a request in to the PS to reserve the site sometime in Sept or Oct for a few nights, whatever they have available. The loop hike through Chesler park that starts and ends at Devil's Kitchen looks like a visit to Mars!! I have a book, Canyonlands National Park Favorite Jeep Roads & Hiking Trails by David Day that is excellent, using that and the Wells book to plan it. Both guys say it's one of their favorites too.

Java
February 23rd, 2012, 07:12 AM
I really love moab, and you're right, come may and beyond, its way too hot to be enjoyable unless you're on the water.

elephant hill looks like an awesome trip as well.

Looks like we'd be getting in friday afternoon. maybe we can at least try to plan a trail day on saturday since it looks like everyone will be there then?

do y'all use CB's?

CB channel 4 seems to be the standard for FR4x4 runs. Saturday looks great, any trails in mind? Elephant Hill is probably too south for this run, and it's atleast a full day too.

GaryG
February 23rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
I kinda want to do Fins and Elephant Hill for sure. Those might be best Thurs and Fri before the weekenders get there. Then pick out a couple scenic runs for Sat n Sun. Gotta fly away Monday morning so can't get home too late. Is there any good night trails? I'd love to go cruising in the dark.

Java
February 23rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Fins for sure, how about thurs or friday? Top of the World or Tower Arch, maybe Seven Mile Rim on the other day? Just ideas, I'm open to almost anything, and I'm also open to more than one trail in a day. Saturday might be a good day forthe Schafer trail.

Rob
February 23rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Well, I was 99 percent sure I was going to make this trip, but major unexpected expense takes that to maybe 1 percent. :frown:

Jackie
February 23rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Rob - wishing the best for your pooch... hang in there, buddy. I still hope you can make it.

Chris
February 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Well, I was 99 percent sure I was going to make this trip, but major unexpected expense takes that to maybe 1 percent. :frown:

So you aren't a 99%er as I suspected!

Java
February 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Sorry to hear that, and so sorry to hear that it's your dog. Best of luck with it, Moab will be there next time too.

Rob
February 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
So you aren't a 99%er as I suspected!

:lmao: Yeah, I'm a 1 percenter, just not that 1 percent.

Sorry to hear that, and so sorry to hear that it's your dog. Best of luck with it, Moab will be there next time too.

Yep. The good news is that Rufus just got out of surgery and it went well, except for the time it took to get the basketball-size tumor out of the incision. :eek: I have a feeling he's not going to be happy with us when he gets to come home.

Aaron
February 24th, 2012, 01:47 PM
That's great that they got it out. I'm sure the bill is not so great...

scout man
February 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I know the pain Rob. I just went through that with a horse with a bladder stone. Oh, and the first surgery wasnt enough so they managed to tack another, more evasive (read, costly) one on there too.

Java
February 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'm glad they removed it!!! He should feel better shortly, getting something like that out of you can't not feel good. Pets can be expensive- I put a pacemaker into my last dog.

Chris
February 24th, 2012, 04:30 PM
basketball-size tumor

:eek: once he recovers from the initial surgery he should be floating around your place!

scout man
February 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm glad they removed it!!! He should feel better shortly, getting something like that out of you can't not feel good. Pets can be expensive- I put a pacemaker into my last dog.

Yea, i would feel a lot better too is someone removed a spiky, tenis ball sized rock from my bladder!

Rob
February 24th, 2012, 08:51 PM
We just got back from visiting Rufus. He's a little dopey and probably a little uncomfortable, but not bad considering what they did to him today. We should be bringing him home in the morning. And, amazingly, the final bill was much less than the original estimate range. Still pricey, but I didn't have to take out an equity loan on the house to pay for it. :) But as my wife said at the vet's office, "He's worth every penny." And I never argue with my wife.

Jackie
February 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM
That's great news!

Hopefully he will bounce right back.

Rob
February 24th, 2012, 10:25 PM
he will bounce right back.

Didn't you read where it was a basketball-size tumor? His bounce is gone. :lmao: Seriously, though, he is 13 pounds lighter now, so I expect he'll be a little lighter on his feet before too long.

Jackie
February 24th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Kinda-like giving birth, I imagine...:erm:

Yeeeaaah - you feel better later...!

Chris
February 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Literally 13 lbs?

Rob
February 25th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Literally 13 lbs?

Literally. He's down to his fighting weight now.

Chris
February 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Wow, he's going to feel great, I know I would if I lost 13 lbs!

Java
February 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
So Rufus has his own thread now, back to Moab. :) For a schedule idea, it looks like most people will be there from Thurs. on, so:

Thursday, 4/12- Tower Arch
Friday, 4/13- Fins n' Things, Baby Lions Back
Saturday, 4/14- Schafer Trail

It would be easy to add trails on to those as well. Tower Arch may not be too long if the road past Eye of the Whale Arch is closed, I'll call the Park this week and find out. If that trail is open it adds a few miles to the trip on sand to Willow Springs road that exits the park on 191 not far at all from the Tusher Tunnel / Barlett area. Top of the World looks fun too, as does Onion Creek, Gemini Bridges and Bull Canyon...

Jackie
February 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I've never heard of Baby Lions Back, but the rest of the schedule sounds good to me at this point.:thumb:

Can you give me a resource to look at for BLB? I didn't see it on TD or in my Wells book.

Java
February 29th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I'm sure it'll change, but it's a start... Baby Lions Back is just one obstacle off of Sand Flats Road- you've driven Fins before, so you've driven past it. After you pass the fee gate it's on the left, same side as the trailhead for Hells Revenge but maybe a mile down the road. It's a hill of rock next to a large parking area, you just go over it and then circle back to the road. Here's a video of a guy driving over it, his camera angle makes the backside look steeper than it is. The backside should be a small lake when we go. It looks scary, but fun!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfU13jbAW-s

Java
February 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
This is the reason that the Lions Back is closed, now we can only do the Baby one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbkTncjEOs

Jackie
February 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
OMG, what an idiot:eek:

I was just about to respond to the the first video that I liked all of it except the very last hill down. Not that I would ever drive like a drunken ignoramous, but even as a sober, cautious driver that last hill looks like suicide.

And for the record... I only did one loop of Fins-n-Things before the weather turned on us. (and I walked down the steep parts with Annika while Britton drove the Jeep).

Just sayin'...:rolleyes:

I'm a bit of a chicken, but now that I've seen it done - I want to do it!

scout man
February 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM
actually lions back was open for a while after that. Only reason it is closed now is that it is private land, and they guy that bought it shut it down.

Brad
February 29th, 2012, 10:14 PM
We are entertaining this again as our trip to Vegas is not going to happen. We need to figure out the logistics but will be bringing the dogs. Might board them during canyon land runs. (they are small and smuggleable). I am thinking of staying at BFE. How many people are for sure camping?

Cake
February 29th, 2012, 10:56 PM
<-- def camping. Down for anyplace that's not a hotel. Sand Flats, BFE, Kane Creek...

We'll have our dog too, although not so smuggable

Do people do night runs at moab? do they, do they?? on friday nights maybe?

GaryG
March 1st, 2012, 05:32 AM
I think we'd settled on Sand Flats for camping. I'm up for a night run if its allowed. Don't have those big lights up top for my health.

Java
March 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
Sand Flats and night runs!!! Woo-Hoo!! On another note, there are no dogs allowed in the back country of Arches Park, and looks like lots of dogs are coming :thumb: so Thursday Tower Arch is out...

How about Seven Mile rim? http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=22

This video is long and the music is weird, but by the time it was over I caught myself getting into it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR7BnpJf6Js&feature=related

Cliff Notes version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWEY_zMY3Qk&feature=related

Another section of the trail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDmSk7HJNZo

Brad
March 1st, 2012, 05:31 PM
We have a change of plans. It will just be Neil and I no Jenn or dogs. Still bringing the camper. Need to firm up the dates on our end. Are we reserving the group site at the flats?

BLB looks like fun up until the last descent, I have been in those lawn dart situations before!:D

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/flipswitch/23-ColoDisco.jpg

Cake
March 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM
Last I checked you couldn't make reservations at sand flats, its first come first serve. Maybe the closer we get to the date(figure out a closer number of attendees) those that get there early can occupy adjacent sites so those coming late can still camp with the group.

Campground G, or the G Spot as it's lovingly referred to is probably the most popular, its pretty bad ass, and is always full up by the time we get in on a Friday evening. I'm sure if you guys are there during the week you can grab spots. Its H isn't too shabby either, and its a little more open which might accommodate a larger group.

I'm pretty much up for whatever won't decimate my vehicle or something that I'd need lockers for. Seven mile looks cool. Not sure if night runs are allowed, but if they are, I'd be up for a quickie. I remember when camping off of Kane Creek Road last year there were a few groups that headed off into the canyon after lights out

Brad
March 1st, 2012, 06:20 PM
It would be awesome if we could all stay together, campers that is. If we are going to stay in one spot then I will bring the pop up. Otherwise I am tenting it. I am looking at the 11th. Maybe sooner if Paul is still going early.

Jackie
March 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
We'll be booking a hotel in town - so don't count on us for camping.

And I highly doubt we'd participate in night runs since we have no additional lights plus the little-one can only take so much wheeling before she gets antsy. Night time is pool-time!

Java
March 2nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
It would be awesome if we could all stay together, campers that is. If we are going to stay in one spot then I will bring the pop up. Otherwise I am tenting it. I am looking at the 11th. Maybe sooner if Paul is still going early.

Cool!! I'm not set on my dates yet, for sure I'll be there by the 11th... my wife has friends and family visiting that week, I have to atleast show my face (prefer to show my back) so departure is still up in the air. I have some hikes in mind and might end up camping a night in canyonlands, otherwise I'll go straight to SF and try to grab the best spot. I'll post it as I know for sure, c'ya there!

Java
March 2nd, 2012, 06:17 AM
Last I checked you couldn't make reservations at sand flats, its first come first serve. Maybe the closer we get to the date(figure out a closer number of attendees) those that get there early can occupy adjacent sites so those coming late can still camp with the group.

Campground G, or the G Spot as it's lovingly referred to is probably the most popular, its pretty bad ass, and is always full up by the time we get in on a Friday evening. I'm sure if you guys are there during the week you can grab spots. Its H isn't too shabby either, and its a little more open which might accommodate a larger group.

I'm pretty much up for whatever won't decimate my vehicle or something that I'd need lockers for. Seven mile looks cool. Not sure if night runs are allowed, but if they are, I'd be up for a quickie. I remember when camping off of Kane Creek Road last year there were a few groups that headed off into the canyon after lights out

G then H, got it! Lots of people do night runs there, unless I'm passed out in my tent I'm in!!

Brad
March 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
I would love to go on some hikes Paul!

Java
March 2nd, 2012, 10:27 AM
Here's the Island in the Sky District map and trail descriptions, I'd like to see that part this time and theNeedles in the fall if ti works out. http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/island.pdf

Depending on energy levels I'd like to do either the first 2.5 miles of the Lathrop trail, The Neck Spring Loop or the Murphy Loop and finish no matter what with the Grandview trail at the end of the day. I also want to do Corona Arch, Fisher Towers, the Richardson Ampitheater (new 6 mile loop that isn't even on the BLM site yet), Hell Roaring Canyon (can't remember the trail name) and Double O Arch in Arches. There are others but I don't have that list infront of me. Infact I should get back to work...

Jackie
March 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
I just booked a room at the Comfort Suites in town. We'll arrive on the morning of the 11th and leave on Sunday the 15th.

Jackie
March 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM
And I just booked a room at the Hampton Inn in Glenwood Springs for the night of the 10th. We're really looking forward to this trip. Britton will be bringing his dirt bike and we are considering renting an aTV for a day so Annika can do a little "driving" too!

Java
March 4th, 2012, 07:01 AM
AWESOME!!! I may end up having to leave on Saturday, work is getting silly again. Still too soon to tell...

Brad
March 4th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Some of those trails sound great!

Rob
March 11th, 2012, 11:37 PM
So I'm definitely in. I'll probably drive down on Tuesday and leave Saturday. Anyone else heading out Tuesday?

I'll likely camp the first night or two, then move to a hotel. Paul, are you planning to have dibs on a campsite by Tuesday?

Java
March 12th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Nice, Rob, glad you canmake it!!!!! I'm not sure on my departure yet, sort of waiting to see how things go here and at home before committing. It would be cool to drive out together, and I most likely will go straight to sand flats to camp (and I'm bringing a list of hotels myself!!), although I'm thinking about a night in Canyonlands too. I'm going to figure this out this week, finishing Moab prep is on my to-do list!

Hope Rufus is doing well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob
March 12th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Rufus is doing amazing. Wish I healed that fast.

Be great to convoy. Let me know when you're departure is firmed up.

ROKTAXI
March 13th, 2012, 09:51 AM
For those that are camping and want some firewood I have some construction lumber that can be cut up. I'll provide the skillsaw. Give me a call if you want it, or else I'll dispose of it. My cell: four three five 260 two 7 two 7.

And by the by, I finally bought a (13') trailer. It's got all the comforts I need: queen beds (2); full bath; ref./freezer; A/C; 10gal propane; 2 deep cycle batts; etc. And dry, it weighs in at 1700lbs. Don't know about pulling it over the pass. Might be too much for the XJ????

Jackie
March 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Since it looks like we are going to scatter a bit, it might be nice if we had a list of everyone's cell numbers for when we get out there. If you want, you could each PM me with your contact info and I will compile a list of everyone going and distribute to everyone on the list only.

Cake
March 13th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I think you would be fine hauling it. Tow capacity is 5K (http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/2000/solo0029.html)

Just take it easy and keep it in 3rd. Crank the heat if you need to keep engine temps down.

I would totally take you up on your firewood, but I'm not local to pick it up :steer:
Also maybe a list of where everyone is planning on camping? I don't mind camping with others, but we'll have a dog(friendly.. really, he's a huge wuss). I'd like to post up at sand flats, or I'd be down to check out that BFE area since I've never been.

Rob
March 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM
t might be nice if we had a list of everyone's cell numbers for when we get out there.

Excellent idea, Jackie. I'll send mine shortly.

Java
March 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Nice trailer, Marty!!! I've got a ton of wood to bring, but thanks!! :thumb: Maybe one of the other campers...

Jackie, I'll PM you as soon as I can find out what my cell # is.

ROKTAXI
March 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I think you would be fine hauling it. Tow capacity is 5K (http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/2000/solo0029.html)

Just take it easy and keep it in 3rd. Crank the heat if you need to keep engine temps down.

I would totally take you up on your firewood, but I'm not local to pick it up :steer:
Also maybe a list of where everyone is planning on camping? I don't mind camping with others, but we'll have a dog(friendly.. really, he's a huge wuss). I'd like to post up at sand flats, or I'd be down to check out that BFE area since I've never been.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was rated at 5K but I'm not sure about the engine (135K) and it's cooling. I've got a new 3 core radiator and dual electric fans (Taurus and the OEM A/C aux. fan), and 4.88 gearing w/ 33's. Guess I'll just have to take up to the La Sal's to see how she does at 8K elevation before I venture over the pass.

As for the firewood, I live in Moab just a couple miles from Sand Flats.

Jackie
March 13th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Rob - I got yours, thanks.

Paul - don't feel bad I just got my phone a week ago and I don't know my number either without my cheat-sheet!

Brad
March 13th, 2012, 09:04 PM
That's awesome Marty! Thanks! There is also a local guy in town who sells scraps cheap if we need more.

mattzj98
March 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
So this might actually be a yes for me.. =l

Anyone talk me into it?

Jackie
March 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Matt... BE THERE!!!!!

Java
March 15th, 2012, 07:23 AM
The Slickrock Bike trail is off sandflats too, it was originally made for dirtbikes but has become more popular for mountain bikes. This video is cool because he's got software that shows you his elevation on the bottom of the screen, and where on the loop he is on the right. I've never seen that before, I like it!! Dirtbikes make the best videos! I'm bringing a mountain bike with me, can't wait to try this trail out!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEuvY7NtHdI

Java
March 15th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Rob - I got yours, thanks.

Paul - don't feel bad I just got my phone a week ago and I don't know my number either without my cheat-sheet!

called my home phone, got it off caller ID. I suck. PM on the way.

Brad
March 15th, 2012, 07:36 AM

Anyone talk me into it?

Like this is a hard decision? GO! You won't regret it. :thumb:

Java
March 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Like this is a hard decision? GO! You won't regret it. :thumb:

Absolutely!!! :thumb: Moab trips should be non-optional social conventions, IMO.

Cake
March 15th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Anyone talk me into it?

its not like you built your jeep to just drive it around on roads. who puts long arms on a jeep and doesn't take it to moab?

Cake
March 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I'm bringing a mountain bike with me, can't wait to try this trail out!!!

I was thinking about bringing my bike out too. but im lazy and time is short, would probably only hit the practice loop

mattzj98
March 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I've always gotten rentals in moab haha my jeep odesnt really drive on roads unless I drive to trail..

Jackie
March 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Here's a post from a Jeep Forum member who just got back from Moab yesterday. (Sure to give us all the warm-fuzzies):

"Back from Moab.
Had fun.

A side note: the super fund site north of town, the old uranium mill, they are removing all the tailing piles. These piles cover dozens of acres and are a hundred feet tall.
They took the cover off the big pile that they put on years ago.
The wind blows in Moab...a lot...everyday.
Hold your breath while in Moab. That tailing pile is a massive dust maker(the tailings are lighter, smaller than normal dirt.) A radioactive dust storm. SWEET. Adding to the mystic of Moab...a shorter life.
OMG. What the heck are they thinking???
It felt VERY dangerous.

Had fun on the trails though, even if I am glowing in the dark now... "

ColoJeeper
March 15th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Matt....you don't want to do Moab in your jeep...you know you don't like rocks. :lmao:

mattzj98
March 15th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Very true, I don't know what I was thinking

Java
March 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Here's a post from a Jeep Forum member who just got back from Moab yesterday. (Sure to give us all the warm-fuzzies):

"Back from Moab.
Had fun.

A side note: the super fund site north of town, the old uranium mill, they are removing all the tailing piles. These piles cover dozens of acres and are a hundred feet tall.
They took the cover off the big pile that they put on years ago.
The wind blows in Moab...a lot...everyday.
Hold your breath while in Moab. That tailing pile is a massive dust maker(the tailings are lighter, smaller than normal dirt.) A radioactive dust storm. SWEET. Adding to the mystic of Moab...a shorter life.
OMG. What the heck are they thinking???
It felt VERY dangerous.

Had fun on the trails though, even if I am glowing in the dark now... "

I googled it and found this, guess it's not exactly new. the second one has stats on the radiation, it does seem to be below indoor safety standards for all types.

http://www.moabtailings.org/

http://www.grandcountyutah.net/pdf/UMTRA_Status.pdf

Java
March 17th, 2012, 08:25 AM
The Facebook homepage is a picture of Double O Arch in Arches National Park today. Pretty cool!!!

http://www.facebook.com/index.php?stype=lo&lh=Ac9gywqkBU0Xy4Qt

GaryG
March 21st, 2012, 11:26 AM
So what's the deal with campfires/firewood at this camping place. Would it be a good idea to bring firewood from here or just purchase the expensive bundles there?

ROKTAXI
March 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
So what's the deal with campfires/firewood at this camping place. Would it be a good idea to bring firewood from here or just purchase the expensive bundles there?

See my post #125

Brad
March 21st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Sorry guys. I am back to maybe, engine tick is louder and I may have to pull and rebuild heads.

GaryG
March 21st, 2012, 02:42 PM
I recall that post, couldn't figure out where you were. Location says Moab, but you talked about pulling your trailer over a pass presumably to get there. My question was more general, we can certainly burn that stuff as long as its not treated, I hate the smell of treated wood burning.

Java
March 21st, 2012, 09:12 PM
Sorry guys. I am back to maybe, engine tick is louder and I may have to pull and rebuild heads.

that sucks!!! I hope you can make it!

Java
March 21st, 2012, 09:17 PM
See my post #125

that is mighty generous of you. if it isn't treated I think I'll change my vote to Yes and come pick some up for everyone, let me know how to go about that. Thank you!! :thumb: You should come join us on some runs, or just swing by the campground.

Rob
March 21st, 2012, 09:33 PM
I decided not to camp and will be staying at the Silver Sage Inn. Going out on the 10th, coming back on the 15th.

Java
March 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM
I'm probably heading out on the 9th or 10th (will know soon) and will head back when my Visa starts getting declined, or possibly Saturday the 14th. I'm considering reserving a room at the Days Inn for the last few nights, they have 20% off if you reserve 14 days out, so it's $72.00 a day. I think I'll camp for a few then hotel for a few; best of both, and I can leave my doors in the room for Fins n Things!! :thumb:

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/utah/moab/days-inn-moab/rooms-rates?partner_id=&hotel_id=04206&campaign_code=IP-DI_PPC_GGL_TM&propId=DI04206&checkout_date=04%2F13%2F2012&brand_id=DI&children=0&corporate_id=&ratePlan=BAR&teens=0&affiliate_id=&iata=&rate_code=&adults=1&checkin_date=04%2F11%2F2012&rooms=1

I'm booked there from Thurs to Sat, looking forward to the bedbugs!

Daurizio
March 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
I'm planning to head out there on the 12th. I haven't been there before and I haven't decided about camping vs. hotel. Are the camping areas dog friendly? I am planning on bringing our two dogs, and I want to make sure it will be ok to have them in the camping area.

Jackie
March 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
As far as I know, you can't bring a dog into the Nat'l Parks (in this case Arches and Canyonlands). But other dog owners here can offer advise on alternatives. (I'm just a "kid owner").

If you want to, you can PM me with your cell phone number and I will add it to the list I am making of everyone who said "yes" to going on this trip. I will only distribute the list to the people who are going for sure - so you you don't have to worry about it getting out to everyone and their mother!!! And the list won't get distributed until about a week out because of "life" happening and people might back out. (Brad: I hope you can make it. I removed you from the list for now):frown:

Also - and this to all of you who said "yes" to going, if you can post up when and where you will be staying, your arrival and departure dates and what trails you are interested in running, I will try to format the "list" so we can all know what the others might be up to including links to the proposed trails.

We certainly don't "need" this list - but it might be helpful!!!

Rob
March 22nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
Jackie, I think you should be in line for the next Den Mother badge. I know I appreciate your organizational suggestions. Someone needs to wrangle this crowd.

Fins is a must and it's a great first trail warm-up run.

I could do Elephant Hill again (but leave earlier this time and do more trail and sightseeing).

I could also do Poison Spider again.

Top of the World is fun for those who haven't done it, and I could do it again. The view never gets old.

I'm up for other suggestions, too.

Cake
March 23rd, 2012, 01:58 AM
I'm planning to head out there on the 12th. I haven't been there before and I haven't decided about camping vs. hotel. Are the camping areas dog friendly? I am planning on bringing our two dogs, and I want to make sure it will be ok to have them in the camping area.

I know dogs are allowed in Sand flat's area, which is right outside of town. that's where I would like to end up, but availability is iffy, esp since we would be coming in friday evening.

Dogs are allowed to camp off of kane creek road, and they're allowed in the camping by the river just north of town.

Now sure exactly where We'll end up since we'll be getting in friday evening, but probably one of those above places; or maybe that BFE place(never been)

getting in the 13th, leaving the 15th, not stepping foot in a hotel. will run anything that i can on 31's and open diffs that wont trash my rig :thumb:

Daurizio
March 24th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info.

We're planning on getting there Thursday evening and camping in Sand Flatts 12-15 and staying in a hotel the night of the 15th. We're going to try to board the dogs during the day, but we haven't made those reservations yet.

Jackie
March 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Just "thinking out loud" here... but this morning I put together a list of everyone who is going: what day you're arriving, where your over-night accommodations might be, your phone #, as well as what trails everyone has suggested so far. Sounds like it's going to be a blast---but if we want to do this together (at least parts of it), maybe we should schedule a voluntary meet-up right from the start.(???)

It looks to me like almost everyone in the group so far will be out there by Wed., April 11. Maybe we could arrange to meet up for a dinner, cook-out, whatever, that evening and talk about what we all want to do and go from there.

Based on the trails suggested so far, we have everything from very easy and scenic trails to pretty difficult and scary trails. People have also expressed interest in hiking, biking ATV's etc. There is so much to do! I want a little bit of all of it!!!

Post up if you think we should plan a "meet-up".

We're staying at a hotel that I have not been in before, so I can't volunteer to host it, but if there is a campground, park, pizza joint that would work....

Rob
March 24th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'm up for a meet-up. Pizza and beer sound good.

Jackie, what time are you guys getting into town on the 11th? Soon enough to do a trail?

Jackie
March 24th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Good question Rob. We're staying in Glenwood Springs the night of the 10th and the heading into Moab on the 11th. Hopefully we'll arrive in the early afternoon. Knowing my husband and kid... I don't think they will want to run a trail once we get there - but I might!.:D

I'd love to warm-up on something easy (and in daylight because I can't see worth **** in the dark).

Rob
March 24th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I'd love to warm-up on something easy (and in daylight because I can't see worth **** in the dark).

Well, Fins & Things is not difficult and a fairly quick run if it's just two or three of us (Paul, you gonna be there on the 11th?). Last year, the guy who sucks and Barb and I ran Fins Saturday morning before I made the seven-hour drive back to Longmont. It's a great warm-up run.

Jackie
March 24th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Whoah there, Rob... You call Fins a "warm-up" to all the other trails suggested here so far?:lmao::lmao:

I think you're out to kill me!

ggeeeerrrrrrr, I'll go - but you might have to drive my Jeep once in a while!!! (Can we we get a skid-mark graphic here???)

Cake
March 24th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I would be down with "hosting" a little something depending on whatever camp spot we end up at Friday night. It wouldn't be till after 7ish though

Rob
March 24th, 2012, 10:47 PM
You call Fins a "warm-up" to all the other trails suggested here so far?

Really, it's not technically difficult, just some steepness factor. There is one more difficult obstacle that's atypical for the trail, but it's optional and I don't plan to do it again.

scout man
March 24th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Rob is right, Fins is a good intro to Moab. You can handle it Jackie, I promise. Might push your comfort zone a touch (as it did with Rob the first time too), but its one you need to start with to get ready for the rest of moab. It will get you where you need to be to prepare you to run most of the other stuff on this list. Moab wheeling is different, and Fins is a good way to teach that.

Jackie
March 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Steve - I've done 1/2 of Fins-n-Things before, but the weather turned bad and we bailed out. I loved every bit of it except the steep fins. When I saw the first ones, I seriously thought we had lost the trail and needed to turn around and go back. Britton insisted that the obvious tire tracks meant that it was doable! So he drove and me and our little girl went down on our butts!!! I'm looking forward to this one this time. I just wouldn't call it a warm-up!:p

Of all the trails mentioned in this thread so far. Fins has the highest difficulty rating according to TrailDamage. Poison Spider, Elephant Hill and Seven Mile Rim also are rated as a bit difficult. Everything else mentioned is either easy and scenic or moderate.

Jackie
March 25th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Is anyone else thinking about renting an ATV? We want to do at least a 1/2 day rental so Annika can "drive". (She can't reach the pedals on the Jeep yet or I would find a fun dirt road for her)!!!

Chicken Corners comes to mind... I think that trail offers some places she could handle (with me or her dad, of course). But maybe there are better choices...

Is anyone else bringing kids???

Java
March 27th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Well, Fins & Things is not difficult and a fairly quick run if it's just two or three of us (Paul, you gonna be there on the 11th?). Last year, the guy who sucks and Barb and I ran Fins Saturday morning before I made the seven-hour drive back to Longmont. It's a great warm-up run.

I'll be there and I'll do whatever!

Java
March 27th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Is anyone else thinking about renting an ATV? We want to do at least a 1/2 day rental so Annika can "drive". (She can't reach the pedals on the Jeep yet or I would find a fun dirt road for her)!!!

Chicken Corners comes to mind... I think that trail offers some places she could handle (with me or her dad, of course). But maybe there are better choices...

I want to rent an ATV, but I can't commit to it- my house is asking for $$ again and I just bought a new guitar... but I'm bringing my bike for the Slickrock trail! It depends what I spend in the next two weeks before we go.

Java
March 27th, 2012, 07:16 AM
I was thinking about bringing my bike out too. but im lazy and time is short, would probably only hit the practice loop

did my first ride of the year last week and I'm pathetic, 7 easy miles kicked my ass. The practice loop will probably do me in... :)

Java
March 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM

kokopelli in moab is pet friendly and you can leave them in the room when you go, the guy that runs it will check on them for you.

Java
March 27th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Jackie, I think you should be in line for the next Den Mother badge. I know I appreciate your organizational suggestions. Someone needs to wrangle this crowd.

Fins is a must and it's a great first trail warm-up run.

I could do Elephant Hill again (but leave earlier this time and do more trail and sightseeing).

I could also do Poison Spider again.

Top of the World is fun for those who haven't done it, and I could do it again. The view never gets old.

I'm up for other suggestions, too.

YES to all!! Looks like some cool trails in the 7 mile rim area too.

Java
March 27th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Just "thinking out loud" here... but this morning I put together a list of everyone who is going: what day you're arriving, where your over-night accommodations might be, your phone #, as well as what trails everyone has suggested so far. Sounds like it's going to be a blast---but if we want to do this together (at least parts of it), maybe we should schedule a voluntary meet-up right from the start.(???)

It looks to me like almost everyone in the group so far will be out there by Wed., April 11. Maybe we could arrange to meet up for a dinner, cook-out, whatever, that evening and talk about what we all want to do and go from there.

Based on the trails suggested so far, we have everything from very easy and scenic trails to pretty difficult and scary trails. People have also expressed interest in hiking, biking ATV's etc. There is so much to do! I want a little bit of all of it!!!

Post up if you think we should plan a "meet-up".

We're staying at a hotel that I have not been in before, so I can't volunteer to host it, but if there is a campground, park, pizza joint that would work....

That sounds like a great idea! I'd be happy to do it at my campsite at Sand Flats, the Moab Diner is cool too. there is a big parking area near Baby Lions Back, might be fun to have a distraction...

Java
March 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
12 Days!!! :jiggy::2thumbup::jiggy::2thumbup::woot:

Jackie
March 29th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Time for all the maybe's to get off the fence! :D

Also, if you decide to go, PM me your phone # so I can get you added to our list (and you will only receive a copy of the list if you're on it).

It looks like there was enough interest in meeting up on the evening of Wed., April 11 to greet each other and make some trail-running plans. Personally, I like the idea of meeting at one of the Sandflats area camp sites (if one of you gets one). Pizza and beer at a local joint is also doable, but waiting for service on a party as large as ours might be less than enjoyable.

Cake
March 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
can we set something tentative up saturday? It sounds like thats when most of us will be there, so maybe we should try to make sure we run something together then.

Rob
March 31st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Going out on the 10th, coming back on the 15th.

I meant the 14th.

ColoJeeper
April 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
I'm in for the trip....Leave the 11th and come back on the 15th. Will be towing my popup so am looking for a campground to park it now.

Aaron
April 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hey all,

Wanted to let you know our tentative itinerary. This is with the inlaws coming. The in laws like looking for different kinds of rocks, hiking and the like so I don't expect that too many of you will be following along with us but feel free to if you want.

4/12 - Shaffer Trail, Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point for sunset if we time it right.
4/13 - Arches, Tower Arch trail and probably the delicate arch hike
4/14 - Probably top of the world. I'm a bit worried about their pathfinder on some of the steps but we may do it anyway and park their car and let them hike the rest of the way. If not, we'll do some of the devils garden hikes in arches.
4/15 - If we didn't do TOTW on Saturday, we may do it on the way out. Otherwise, heading home.

Aaron

Java
April 3rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
I'll be in Moab earlier in the week but I plan to be at a campsite on Sand flats for Tuesday night. I'll likely be taking off on Saturday, I may have to work Sunday but won't know for sure until I'm in Moab.
Rob and anyone else who will be there- fins on Wed? We can all meet up wed later too like Jackie suggested, and if it's early enough maybe some evening fins!! Atleast a campfire.

I'll gladly run Fins n' things more than once if people who won't be there Wed want to do it.
I want to do Seven Mile rim and the trails in the area like Merimac, Barlett, Tusher Tunnel looks fun, Hidden Canyon, etc..., there are a lot there;
Top of the world looks great;
Onion Creek is easy and near TOTW, I like water crossings so I'd like to do that;
Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon and Long Canyon- I've only done Long Canyon (downhill) of the 3, it was easy / awesome with a couple of fun obstacles.
Poison Spider, elephant hill, Tower Arch and anything else that has come up I'll try, I have tools and a Visa card ready to go. :thumb:

Aside from that I have some hikes in the area and the Slickrock bike trail that I can work in or save for another trip, I'm pretty flexible. This is going to be ******* awesome!!!!!

Here's the 10-day forcast, it's going to be beautiful weather!!! http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Moab+UT+USUT0165

Brad
April 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
I am doing my cam and lifters this weekend so I am still a long shot.

Jackie
April 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Depending on what time we get there on Wednesday (we're guessing 1:00 - 2:00), we might be interested in doing at least half of Fins that day, but ideally we want to do the whole trail. We might have to play that one by ear. I think a camp fire sounds great! If one of you with a confirmed site would like to invite the group over, please post the details and I will add it to the "list"!

I have updated my "list" with everyones phone numbers, camping/lodging locations (if provided), trail suggestions links and ratings and stuff like that. Just a mish-mash summary of stuff we've discussed on this thread and I'm thinking I'll distribute the list to all of the "Yes's" in the next day or two.

GaryG
April 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Google says 6 hrs from home to Moab, so I figure we'll be there between 3 and 5 on Wednesday. All for a campfire since we'll be camping. I wont be doing much for hiking while there, still need to lose 50 lbs. But I'll be in for any trail run.

Rob
April 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
fins on Wed?

I'm in, Paul. We can pick up Jackie later and run it again in the late afternoon, or as much of it as she wants to.

By the way, are you bringing a guitar?

Java
April 5th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I'm in, Paul. We can pick up Jackie later and run it again in the late afternoon, or as much of it as she wants to.

By the way, are you bringing a guitar?

Cool. As soon as I find a site I'll text where it is. I can bring a guitar, but I don't want to bring anything good... I have a Washburn Rover that I'll bring along, it's a little POS guitar that's made for camping and travel, it sounds awful and plays worse but if it gets ruined or stolen I don't care. Here's a video of some guy playing some Triumph on a nylon string one in a kayak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvbNWoC2iY&feature=related

Aaron
April 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM

No ATVs but my kids will be there.

Aaron
April 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks for putting the list together Jackie. I have distributed it to the gang who has RSVPd yes.

Cake
April 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Is Paul the only person camping at sand flats?

Daurizio
April 5th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I am camping at sand flatts, but I won't be there until Thursday early afternoon

GaryG
April 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I'll be at sand flats Wednesday

Jackie
April 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM
No ATVs but my kids will be there.
Good! Pack their swim suits. Maybe they would like to hang out at the hotel pool with Annika one evening. (Their site shows an indoor pool and whirlpool).

Cake
April 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM
so thats 4 of us at sand flats? Do you guys have an idea of which letter you would be staying at? Since you're getting there earlier in the week, I would try to shoot for the sites in the G location. Otherwise the loop across the road from that, I think is H, is a good one too. Those will be the 2 I'm gonna aim for.

Daurizio
April 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I have never been there, so I will take your suggestion and aim for the G area.

Is there somewhere to buy firewood there, or should I plan on picking some up along the way?

Rob
April 5th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I can bring a guitar, but I don't want to bring anything good..

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I haven't had a banger in years and I don't think I should bring my 40-year-old Martin D-28 on a road trip. I might check out the local pawnshops this weekend to see if they have something cheap.

Cake
April 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I have never been there, so I will take your suggestion and aim for the G area.

Is there somewhere to buy firewood there, or should I plan on picking some up along the way?

I know the gas stations in town sell firewood, but its a friggin ripoff. If you have access to it, I'd say bring your own. Someone earlier in this thread offered up a pile of wood, I think they were local too.

Jackie
April 5th, 2012, 08:40 PM
If you have a chain saw and are willing to cut, my daughter has a HUGE stump in her front yard of her rental house that needs to go. And her neighbor has a huge branch that is going to be a problem if they don't take it all the way down (it's already broken and "hanging" from the tree). She's in Westminster off 108th and Wads.

Rob
April 5th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Someone earlier in this thread offered up a pile of wood, I think they were local too.

That was Roktaxi (Marty). He lives in Moab.

Daurizio
April 6th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I'll just buy some. I don't have a chain saw, or the desire to cut and split wood.

Cake
April 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Since my prettier half doesn't think she'll be attending with me, I'll probably make it there a little earlier on friday- I'm thinking 12-3 depending on when I get my ass in gear. Not sure if I'll bring the pooch or not- But I'm more likely to bring my bike in case y'all are out doing your thing when I get there. Unless there is an evening/night run planned for friday. Speaking of...

Do we have any kind of schedule going, Maybe at least a time & place to meet Saturday to do one group run? It seems with us staying in different places it might be tough to coordinate while we're out there.

Also since I'll be getting in earlier on friday, I'd be more accommodating to hosting people around a fire at an earlier time. I'll have firewood, and a legged grill grate so if ya'll have animal meat that you want to cook up to accompany your beverages then have at it!

I'll be heading to sand flats- G or H area. My back-up plan will be camping area's by the river, kane creek rd, or BFE area.

Rob
April 8th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Do we have any kind of schedule going, Maybe at least a time & place to meet Saturday to do one group run? It seems with us staying in different places it might be tough to coordinate while we're out there.

The last two spring trips, we just coordinated when we got there and planned the day's run the night before. Call one of us when you get there.

Brody
April 9th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I hope that you all have a really great time! Looking forward to the pictures and report!

Aaron
April 10th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I'm so excited and ready to hit the road. Unfortunately, we don't leave till the am..

Aaron

Rick
April 10th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Have a great time ,All of you!!!!!!!

scout man
April 10th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Have fun everyone! Wish I could make it again this year, but work has come up. Enjoy! Dont break anything!

GaryG
April 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM
What time are you leaving Aaron? we're hoping to be on the road by 930.

Aaron
April 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
No later than 8 is my plan. The wife's plan may be different.

Cake
April 10th, 2012, 08:03 PM
The wife's plan may be different.

Isn't that always guaranteed?

GaryG
April 11th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Change of plans, no camping in the wind, Hampton Inn

MelloYello
April 11th, 2012, 03:36 PM
There is free camping at BFE and Behind the Rocks. Always plenty of spots if that helps. ?

I hope everyone has a good time. Post up lots of pics!!!!