PDA

View Full Version : for those with swing away tire carrier

mattzj98
February 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
*** long rant***

So this morning I was late for work. Pulled into the parking spot head on, usually I back into a spot but today I had no time to screw around..

2:55 I am calling it a day. Got in my jeep, turned on music, rolled down windows and the sunroof since it was so beautiful out.. collections dept. People start coming out the door as I am ready to back out.. I went to back out of the parking spot, stopped to turn the wheels and go forward and hear this REALLY loud bang!

Not knowing what happened I throw it in park and run to the back.. my tire swing swung wide open. It almost took out one of our collectors and hit our company vehicle..

We prank each other at work daily. Literally.. but whever effin thought this would be funny is going to be in a world of hurt!

Either that, or someone was trying to steal my hi lift jack. We had a couple illegal immigrant caught breaking into employees cars a while back.

Anyway, as a reminder, check our swing away tire carrier and make sure its always latched. In the mean time, I will be looking for a way to padlock mine, so it would require a key to open and try to find the joker..

Jackie
February 1st, 2012, 04:38 PM
Ouch! Was there damage done? Glad no one got hit cuz that could hurt even at parking spot speeds.

Chris
February 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM
I had my old one swing out a number of times, once giving my rear panel a huge dent otherwise I was always lucky. I asked Pete to add a couple safety pins on my current truck. If they do swing out it would only be from someone's malicious intent.

mattzj98
February 1st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Well that's just the thing.. my rear bumper came eqipped with those spring loaded safety pins. One when closed, one at swing so that it couldn't hit my jeep.. so someone left it unlatched and not closed all the way.. just enough for it to look ok. The 2nd pin caught the carrier before smashing my own jeep

96blkbeauty
February 1st, 2012, 09:47 PM
I've had that happen with my Bronco. Left school one day...took a left hand turn and I saw the tire carrier swinging in my side mirror. Got out, and checked the damage...bent up my rear quarter pretty good. Killed me inside a bit because the truck was/is so clean.

glacierpaul
February 2nd, 2012, 06:07 AM
better add this to the 'locks' thread, tire carrier lock? YES

Brody
February 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
I use a bike cable threaded through my Hi Lift and spare tire. I goes to welded on hoops tied into my roll cage. Can someone eventually get these off? Sure, but it will be a PITA unless someone has a battery powered grinder with a cut off wheel. Those pretty much sail through locks and cables like they aren't there...What you end up doing is simply making it too hard for someone to bother stealing YOUR junk and they will hopefully move onto easier pickings....

Also keep in mind that if you have a bearing spindle on your carrier, which most do, all someone has to do is to pop the bearing grease cap, take off the retaining nut, and lift the whole assembly off the rig, tire/Hi Lift/gas cans....

Mporter
February 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
Right now I just got a 1/2" bolt with 2 nuts holding it on, but I need to change that since (although yes, it's secure) it's a b***h to get open quickly.

jesse05lj
February 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
I would bet someone was trying to take the HiLift. I don't think ron or rob would mess with your jeep

MelloYello
February 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Also keep in mind that if you have a bearing spindle on your carrier, which most do, all someone has to do is to pop the bearing grease cap, take off the retaining nut, and lift the whole assembly off the rig, tire/Hi Lift/gas cans....

That would suck!!

Sorry to hear that happened to you Matt. Trust no one... ever. :mad:

Heather
February 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Yikes. Glad you have all your stuff, and glad no one was knocked out by the swingy stuff on your arse!