PDA

View Full Version : Need a Longer Pitman Arm

Cr33p3r
February 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM
Does anyone know if there is a company that makes a longer pitman arm than the stock FS Fseries or FS Bronco?http://www.rmftc.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

I have not been able to find anything that is why I am asking all our knowledgeable folks on here. Thank you.

Bronc_17113
February 3rd, 2012, 03:36 AM
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-22824-bds-drop-pitman-arm-4-.html

Cr33p3r
February 3rd, 2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks Don, but I am looking for longer length not a dropped arm. THat is where my problem is everyone has the dropped arms but have not found anything longer.

Bronc_17113
February 3rd, 2012, 05:43 AM
I have never seen a longer one. If you hit a yard you may measure a 250 arm vs a 1/2 ton arm but I dunno. That may end up being a custom job. It seems like the stresses would be a lot greater on a longer arm but I dunno.

glacierpaul
February 3rd, 2012, 05:49 AM
BootHillTruck Parts 303-294-0466 5385 Jackson St. Denver , Sean. They should be able to help you out.

Brody
February 3rd, 2012, 05:56 AM
Been a few years since I had a Ford 4x, but I remember having issues with my 69 Bronco (after swapping in the 77 Ford axle and steering) and solved them with a longer arm from an F250. I think those measure out at 7.5", but am not sure. I think my Scout one measured around 9" and the Astro vans have one that is also fairly long.

Here is a link to a lot of lengths for different OEM arms. If the box is a Saginaw box, which is used on a huge number of American heaps, you shouldn't have too much problem finding something as Saginaw is the biggest name out there:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857210

Cr33p3r
February 3rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys, I will definitely give Boothill a call, as for the box I am completely sure which one Ford used in the 1980-96 trucks and vans looks similar to the saginaws. the F250. The main reason for looking for a longer arm is I do not have the room to move the box forward w/o hitting the lower radiator hose, the coil spring mount is also in the way of one of the mounting bolts and I do not want to lessen the strength of the welded area around the mount.If I was to move the box forward it would have to go 3-3/4" minimum which won't clear above mentioned stuff. Below are pics of the box, the space not available, and where the bolt/coil mount are located in RED CIRCLE. The current length is 5-3/4" and need 7-3/4" center to center.

scout man
February 3rd, 2012, 09:28 AM
Scouts have a really long arm and stand a good chance of fitting on that box. Might drop you a touch though.

Cr33p3r
February 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Steve a small drop is not going to hurt anything if not more than 2". I will have to count the splines on the box and get a Diameter once the snow is melted enough to crawl under the truck.

scout man
February 3rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Yea, i won't be around my rig for another week or so, but i would say is not more than a 2" drop. I know the spline count is online somewhere.

Popsgarage
February 4th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Good luck with the snow melting any time soon. I'll do some research on the sector shaft spline count, diameter and manufacturer.

Popsgarage
February 4th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Center to Center Arm Lengths

If you are using stock Ford pitman arms (80-96), you will need a center to center of about 6.5" on your steering arm (high or tierod) or less to get full steering (on a Dana 60).

If you are using a Chevy steering knuckle (with longer than Ford steering arm), you will need a pitman arm at least 7" to get full steering (use a 7 3/8" Superduty arm 99 and up YC35-3590-AA).

http://bronco.zenseeker.net/Steering.htm

Looks like they've got two different spline counts. Need to find out sector shaft diameter.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/

Cr33p3r
February 4th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks Jon for the links, just from eyeballing the diameter yesterday before the snow go too deep around the truck it looks to be 7/8"-1". I spoke with one of the guys at Rough Country yesterday about their longest arm and it measured 6.3" center to center. They did not know of anyone else that had one as long as I need.

On another note my new offset TREs still have not shown up from RuffStuff and that was over a week and a half ago. Going to have to give Dan a call and see whats up with that!

Popsgarage
February 5th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Get on him. That is totally unlike them. They've always been prompt.

Cr33p3r
February 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I am wondering if our postal person is on vacation, usually when he is the lame azz stand in delivers stuff to the wrong address a couple blocks away, this has happened quite a few times since we moved to this house. I will find out Monday when I call Dan to see when it got mailed out and if he has a tracking #.

Molley
February 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM
we have made that arm longer for a faster turning , if you deside to weld in a longer peice .. have a bucket of sand and right after the weld is done burry it in the sand to cool ... can you grind what it is hitting ? remember this is a very critical part of your steering / control so welds should be done by someone that is a welder .. i know everyone knows this but just had to say it so no one jumps on this ...

Molley
February 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
o i should add that you might look at cleance of steering rod in new postion .. ive moved things to clear ...just to find it does not clear somewhere else .. but thats my luck :)

Popsgarage
February 5th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I'm just not a fan of welding cast!!! Forged is OK, cast just makes me nervous. Is the pitman arm forged or cast? Anyone???

Hypoid
February 5th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Should be drop forged, Jon.

Cr33p3r
February 6th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Yes they are forged, cast would not hold up do to them being porious.

Brody
February 6th, 2012, 07:13 AM
There are 14 (at least) coil spring SAS conversion build threads on this link on the Rangers forum:

http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=105259

Someone has to have found a solution to what you ran into on these. It simply cannot be all that uncommon an issue.

I also posted links to all the compiled Ranger SAS information I could find here:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?14171-FORD-RANGER-BRONCOII-EXPLORER-INFORMATION

I can't tell what bracket is in the way, but if it the control arm/track bar bracket, you should be able to keep the same Pitman arm, shorten the arm (track or control) and relocate the bracket to the inside of the frame rail. Your pictures weren't clear enough to get a better idea of what you are dealing with. Like I said, it can't be all that uncommon of an issue doing the coils/SAS, so somewhere on one of the links, someone has dealt with and fixed the same issue. Quite a few of the links and information dealt with coils on a newer style Ranger, much like what you have.

Popsgarage
February 7th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Couldn't remember for the life of me.

Cr33p3r
February 7th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks Pete for the links on that will definitely read them later this evening after getting back from taking my daughter out again today looking at vehicles.

Cr33p3r
February 15th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Well I got lucky, last night I went over to a guys house to ream out his steering stuff for the 1 ton GM TREs and he used a jeep pitman arm on his 79 Bronco gear box because it was shorter than the stock one and he gave me the longer Ford arm for helping him out! SCORE!!!:thumb::thumb:

Popsgarage
February 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Sweet!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: What did he say it was from?

Brody
February 15th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Nice Sean!

glacierpaul
February 16th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Love that kind of score, happens every so often...:)